Emp_Delta - Concept for new Command and Conquest Map.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Metal Smith, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

The NF and BE are deadlocked over a critical piece of land. This land is a very resource rich delta near the front lines of the war. With it, either side could provide for their own military campaigns in the region for months.

In a marvelous coincidence, both sides bomb the only bridge access to the other side, preventing tanks from actively participating in the battle. However, both have emplacements and are trenched into the land. With the battle at a stalemate, They seek to outflank each other through the treacherous foothills to the west. Whoever can gain the upper hand on the western flank can then use the old mining road to move in artillery to finish off the other. Now it is only a race against time, as both the NF and BE deploy their best engineers to build the bridge to the west, while the brave foot soldiers hold down the front, preventing eachother from gaining a definite foot hold on this most valuable piece of land.

The concept here is to create a map that has 2 types of battles going on at once. In the middle rages a fierce infantry battle, with both sides entrenched deep on the bank directly across from each other. The resources would be to side of the fighting, and in the middle of the island. Either you cap these res points, or you prevent the enemy from capping them. This area would also be a no build zone. Losing this bit of land means losing the map, regardless of if you ever get the res points or not. Each entrenchment, instead of having room to place barracks and such, will have flags. Cap the flags to create spawn points. Both teams have are going to have an easily accessable flag, and then there will be once behind the res points and off to the side. This flag will have double the requirement to cap than the other flags on the island (thinking 2 for the easy flag, 4 for the mid flag.)

To the western flank, either team will have to build a bridge. This bridge will allow tanks to move up to the mountain area. This area has some resource points, and land that a com can build a base in. The old mining bridge would be in the center of a canyon type path that will separate where you start your western campaign. Both must make their way up into the mountains, then back down through the canyon type area. There will be a large tank battle area on a plateau ish area up here. Near the mining bridge, there will also be 2 guard towers with flags and ammo/health crates just because.

To give you an idea of the size, Think the maximum size of an empires map. Take the left 1/4 of the map and divide it into a mid infantry battle, and 2 bases. The right 3/4's will be for the rest of the com style.

I don't have a scanner to scan in some of my concept scribbles, but I'll be working on this map for a while I think. Once I get the terrain done to my liking, I'll probably need some help for the rest. I'm not the best mapper, but this idea has been in my head a while, so I want to get it at least to a beta test where the terrain is done. If anyone else is interested in seeing the terrain when I'm finished, let me know.

2. jongscx

jongscx Member

So is the bridge completely destoyed, or is it just impassible by tanks?

I'm thinking rubble at the bottom, that can be crossed by infantry, and a deep river in between that can't be crossed by swimming infantry (I dunno, make the very center a func_kill or something... blame it on the currents :-P)
    Make the bridge area have large enough areas for cover, so that squads can actually maneuver around and flank the defenders, but small enough that it's still a chokepoint. There's also the possibility of sniping from the bombed-out bridge above, so yeah.

Is the mining area higher or lower than the rest of the map? IMO, if it's higher, then it's a race to get there, and as defending a high-point is easier than defending a low-point. If it's lower, then it's going to be push them off the vantage point, to protect the resupply base.

Also, maybe some small-ish rope bridges or something that offer little/no cover to cross the river. Make it a straight shot from one side to another (IRL equivalent could be a pipe or something similar) so you can have the scout or the lone engie crawl across undetected and cause havok that way, but it's not ideal for a primary force.

3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the two main "bridges" are completely destroyed. Vehicles cannot pass it to get to the middle. Infantry can pass it. At the end of the bridge there will a fortish kinda thing, or whats left of it. Both sides will have such a defensive structure.

I guess you could say it's a mountainous area. the top area of the mountain will not be the highest point on the map, but will contain the res points that will probably be contested in the current normal fashion for a commander map. The slopes to the banks of the water will be steep in all areas except for the points where the bridges were destroyed.

Keep in mind, this is my first map. I asked for help with some parts, especially in the advice area, because I'm very wet behind the ears. The concept is sound, and the potential strategy is a tad linear, but I feel that this kind of gameplay would work well, especially in a full server where many people love/hate command/conquest maps. Primary bases are more or less small, big enough to set up the usual complements of buildings, and secure enough from a geological standpoint to make it very very very difficult to get into. This can let the commander keep the game in tempo without watching his back. Also, the western bridges would be unbuilt. Kinda like the slaughtered bridge.

That's my idea for right now, I'm going to flesh out the terrain first, and see how that goes. Once the terrain is done, I'll start posting images. I already have some help within JPL that'll work with me to keep me going.

More on the bridges, this whole infantry area is only about a quarter of the map at most. the bridges are directly north and south of eachother at the edge of the map, making it only possible to attack from two directions. the res points themselves will be in the middle of the infantry area, and off to the side of the area that will be specifically designed for the infantry. There will be another flag towards the mining bridge on the infantry side as well. This flag will give you a couple spawn points near the bridge, as well as ammo crates and health. The other side of the bridge to the mountains from the middle that will be used for tanks will be a couple of towers with their own flag poiints similar to the towers on slaughtered. probably much smaller in scale. bridge will be rickety old wooden thing like in emp_mvalley.

anyhow, time to get to work.