emp_bountyriver

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by OutlawFurey, Jun 5, 2006.

1. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

I got so inspired by what I am seeing flowing through here that I had to try my hand at making a map. Right now, I'm still learning the basic stuff on designing maps, but I am determined to get one full scale map done.

That being said, I present to the community my concept for the map I have dubbed "Bounty River" I got the concept from one of the maps from the original Advance Wars for the GBA.

[​IMG]

There is a snaking river that the two armies have to fight across. Three bridges connect the two sides, and they fight for control of them and the resource nodes nearby. The resource nodes on the ends of the pennensulas are going to be vehilcle unfriendly, as there will be ridges all around except for the road that passes through. The rest of the map would be fought mostly along the bridges.

I'm happy with how this concept has turned out, I've gone over every possible scenario in my head, and I beleive that this map would be a fun and balanced map.

--edit-- I figured out why my maps weren't compiling right and now the project is at a full go ahead.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Don't worry about the lights.rad thing. It merely contains a list of light types, and it fails to show up for all Empires compiles, if not all mods. It should not affect the compile in any way.

3. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

oo okay.. yeah, I seemed to have just figured out my problem a few min ago and I was dancing around my first working empires map ^_^ So, within a few days I should have something from this project to show off.

4. =HELLION=

=HELLION= Member

i must comment on this on every new map i see, what you draw on paper looks good and fine... but the vis distance for an entire map eats up big time .. so you need to have something blocking chunks so you dont have to use a huge vis distance , huge vis = never compile...emp slaughtered used i think 18+k and took 11 hours .. and its about 60% of the map is drawn at all times. and thats with all the hills blocking out the vis distance... just wanted to let you know now when its all good and on paper ;)

5. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Will the river be shallow at some points for infantry to cross or will the only way to cross be the bridges?

6. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

Hellion:
    I'll keep that fact in mind, I'll do what I can to work around that.

pickjaoe:
    I thought of that, and there might be a few areas to make it easier for infantry to cross. I'm still debating that in my head, but the bridges are going to be the main focus ATM.

7. Grizzly

Grizzly BEAR SIZED DOORS

Lights.rad is used if you want a texture to emit light, just like a lamp, can be really effectfull if used properly

but since you don't have anny textures with the proper light values in it, it will fail to make those nonexistant textures emit light

8. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

I figured out that it wasn't the lights.rad that was stopping me, but something else. I have since fixed that and I'm now able to continue working on my map.

9. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Nice design, looks like it'd be very good to play with aircraft. Good luck making it come to life!

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think you should be able to go down the middle, where the river currently is. it would add a whole new area to the gameplay. still keep the river, but make it wind down the area that is currently entirely river.I made a map quite similar to this in Generals and i think your idea would work really well.

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Looks awesome! I LOVED Advanced Wars, even though I sucked at it.

One question, you die right if you jump in the river? :D

12. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

3 bridges? Little extreme for such a small area.

But what the hey.

13. OutlawFurey

OutlawFurey Member

the final layout isn't gonna be the same as what you see in the picture, that was just a concept that I threw out there for comments from the community.

14. supaste

supaste Member

doodles rule!