emp_atomic, also chris0132's fabulous blog.

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Chris0132', Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

No, the mootant approach to motivation is as follows:
    1. Request something in extremely vague terms
    2. Wait until the item is nearly finished
    3. Inspect the item and notice many, many defects and/or inconsistensies
    4. Attempt to convey these problems in 5 keywords (20 words max)
    5. Wait a long time
    6. Berate person for not having understood anything what you said / badly implementing your riddle

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yes, the rule is to stay in contact to avoid problems instead of getting locked in a cave for months and releasing something final because it's too late to change anything.

Yet again you reminded me that we need that gitweb working.

3. Empty

Empty Member

Good satire is indistuinguishable from incredible stupidity, thats what makes it satire.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You so manly, Mayama.

5. RappemongO

RappemongO Member

So I just played this and just wanted to say it looks good. Even on my gimped settings. Good job. I liek.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

So I just watched people play it and it turns out that setting your bleeder flag to one ticket is really fucking quick.

I'm guessing I have to set it to decimals and that won't actually crash the game like I assumed it would.

Other than that it looked like people were fighting OK. Actually I noticed a load of people seemed to favour the canals, which I suppose is good in a way, given that it means the map should work on lower playercounts, although I hope people spread out a bit with higher playercounts, there is a lot of map to cover and the canals are not the best way to get at the bleeder flag.

Also turns out that spawn bases are easier to ninja than I thought, might have to bump up the cap numbers on those a bit. Add 10 seconds to neutral time, raise cap players by one I think.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Try the bleed at .1 or .25

It's slow enough that if you run out of tickets you will lose, but not high enough to make capturing the bleeder for a couple minutes a guaranteed win.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I hate bleeders.

Map appeal -2

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah it's supposed to be a strategic option, not a game winner, you can either win by fighting better than the enemy or by strategy and holding the central point, which is out of the way and hard to reinforce, the intent is to preserve the strategy element of a classic map but on a conquest map, that's also why the flags are placed in order to give better access to some areas.

And if you can't see the logic of that that, you're not very smart.

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

What about adding a greenish glow to the toxic mud? At the moment you dont notice it if a apc and a rifleman is after your head.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually I could add some env_embers there to make it give off some little particles, that would be quite easy. I was going to add radiation sounds but the geiger counter thingy doesn't actually work in empires. I'd have to make a soundscape which would be a bit of a pain.

It isn't quite obvious enough I agree,

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  12. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

What server(s) are running this map currently? I tried searching this thread but I must have missed it.

13. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

couldn't you just use an ambient_generic with the geiger counter sound looped

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

the sound isn't included in the game files for whatever reason. He was have to add it in manually and set it up with soundscapes.

I think that's what he's saying.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah there isn't an actual geiger counter loop, there's just a few single click sounds.

The game actually randomises the geiger noise by playing lots and lots of clicks, so in order to replicate that I need to build a soundscape which does that, which takes quite a while to set up because soundscapes are fiddly to place precisely in a level.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

EU main has it on I think, but it's still undergoing testing, I'm at revision 3 now, hopefully this will be the last one, I added an extra flag and fixed the central bleeder, reworked the core to look cooler and play better, and hopefully cause less FPS drain, and I also added mayama's little sparkly bits to the radioactive stuff, although it's subtle so you might not notice it if you're in the middle of a fight, you'll just have to be careful. Consider it a challenge.

New core:

[​IMG]

Works on the same principle as this this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWrbydtm2Uw

Always wanted an excuse to make one of those again, that the core room props seemed to be killing FPS was a good enough one.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  17. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

If your core (or any part of it) is a sphere you should use Core shader from Ep1.

18. Demented

Demented Member

On that note... I remember hearing that the coreball in Ep1 would refuse to render properly unless it was placed at a specific location on the grid. Why would that be?

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

For the second time, that only works if you have the entity, and to my knowledge empires does not, I can't even find the model because it's an epsiode 1 model and empires doesn't have any episodic content.

Because if I recall correctly you could scale it based on grid axes.

It's a very specific entity which only occurs once in one map, so why bother supporting instancing?

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Code:
    DEFINE_FALLBACK_SHADER( SDK_Core, SDK_Core_DX90 )

BEGIN_VS_SHADER( SDK_Core_DX90, 
    			  "Help for Core" )

BEGIN_SHADER_PARAMS
    		SHADER_PARAM_OVERRIDE( COLOR, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_COLOR, "{255 255 255}", "unused", SHADER_PARAM_NOT_EDITABLE )
    		SHADER_PARAM_OVERRIDE( ALPHA, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_FLOAT, "1.0", "unused", SHADER_PARAM_NOT_EDITABLE )
    		SHADER_PARAM( REFRACTAMOUNT, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_FLOAT, "2", "" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( REFRACTTINT, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_COLOR, "[1 1 1]", "refraction tint" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( NORMALMAP, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_TEXTURE, "models/shadertest/shader1_normal", "normal map" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( BUMPFRAME, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_INTEGER, "0", "frame number for $bumpmap" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( BUMPTRANSFORM, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_MATRIX, "center .5 .5 scale 1 1 rotate 0 translate 0 0", "$bumpmap texcoord transform" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( TIME, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_FLOAT, "0.0f", "" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( ENVMAP, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_TEXTURE, "shadertest/shadertest_env", "envmap" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( ENVMAPFRAME, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_INTEGER, "0", "envmap frame number" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( ENVMAPTINT, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_COLOR, "[1 1 1]", "envmap tint" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( ENVMAPCONTRAST, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_FLOAT, "0.0", "contrast 0 == normal 1 == color*color" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( ENVMAPSATURATION, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_FLOAT, "1.0", "saturation 0 == greyscale 1 == normal" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( FLOWMAP, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_TEXTURE, "", "flowmap" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( FLOWMAPFRAME, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_INTEGER, "0", "frame number for $flowmap" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( FLOWMAPSCROLLRATE, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_VEC2, "[0 0", "2D rate to scroll $flowmap" )
    		SHADER_PARAM( CORECOLORTEXTURE, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_TEXTURE, "", "" );
    		SHADER_PARAM( CORECOLORTEXTUREFRAME, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_INTEGER, "", "" );
    		SHADER_PARAM( FLOWMAPTEXCOORDOFFSET, SHADER_PARAM_TYPE_FLOAT, "0.0", "" );
    	END_SHADER_PARAMS

I don't see any entity references from here. It looks like it would work on model and on a brush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.