Emp_Alpinerush Beta 2

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by [lodw]keef, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

I ninja'd it in for Sonecha when Keef committed the VMF to our SVN.

2. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

According to this, emp_moors would be the best map ever, no chokepoints at all, lol

3. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

actually It's more of a balance we have to find, if you make too many 'chokepoints' everyone gets too scattered and dont have full on battles, which isnt fun. Where as if we have too few it just becomes a stalemate. Open maps are a different ballpark since you have visual access to any incoming for like 1/2 the map distance.

The problem is finding the balance for both 20v20 games and 8v8 games, you have to find a balance that will work for both of them.

This map is an attempt to condense the combat area, while keeping it from being too much of a stalemate. With the map being a big circle of 4 bases we have 2 refs BETWEEN each set of bases, so you can have 2 bases and control 1/4 of the refs or you can have 2 bases and control 3/4 of the bases. Making the ref points not inside the bases makes you have to go outside your base and challenge the enemy or if you just try to hold and turtle 2 bases you will only get 1/4 the map res resulting in a break to the stalemate, maybe not immediate but they will out tech you and get more vehicles on the field. So far from what I've seen of the gameplay its been working out like this.

This is what a typical alpinerush game looks like. BE takes the west NF takes the east only locking down 2 refs each and they fight for the other 4 refs.

[​IMG]

4. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

oh and heres some screens of what it looked like with fog, for the hell of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Looks more like mini dust clouds than fog. Turn up the white if you want an eerie fog effect.

6. Demented

Demented Member

It looks like someone dumped dry ice all over your map. =P

If it moved, then I suppose you could argue the screenshots didn't do it justice. As it is, it looks like a sickly-colored steambath.

Also, is the fog_controller fog green?

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it would look better (the fog) if you layered it a bit by using alternating layers of fog brush

8. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Shouldn't there be snow on the top of the hills? The map is calling alpinerush.

[​IMG]

9. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

those are all good suggestions, remember I said the map isnt complete. Its not even really in Beta status but since it has just been sitting there for a month+ and I dont know when I'll get a real opportunity to sit down and polish it out I just released it so it could be played. This map is basically all layout no visuals.

EDIT: I like SIP's mountain picture, that image I think will give me something to work twords, I didnt have any reference material while making this map and I really dont like that moss/growth texture I'm using for the hills.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

That's what I thought.

11. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

I like it.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

currently i like it, but ill finally decide after ive seen the first arties ... ;)

seems like the map would be made for those - with some med support i can see it being THE strategy.
    its easy to lock off areas completely or just for one side (hills and unbuilt walls hinthint) so protecting the arties isnt much of a problem.

with a decent team you should even be able to pull of an arty rush easily - engines, arty, weapons, armor, meds, win? ;)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  13. Demented

Demented Member

Why inject meds into a perfectly good strategy?

14. flasche

errr they are long after arties? (at least in the "for a competent team" version)

i would never go arties when i dont trust ppl not to build more than 2 or 3 ... i have seen to much fail to make this mistake again ;)

also arties aint cheap so heavies prolly take long - im not a fan of dragging games out just to satisfy sadistic needs ...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  15. Demented

Demented Member

MKIIs are better for most research purposes, and you can't get arty without them.

Mediums are only slightly better than MK2s and you'll be crippled against heavies, which is especially bad in a map like alpinerush that pretty much forces you to slug it out at close range where heavies excel.

16. flasche

if you do it right there wont be heavies ... :confused:

17. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Works for me then. I was just curious how the base chokepoints ended up, and if this is the usual equilibrium I'm happy.

18. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

So, I played this map. Firstly, right when it starts, you're hit by just how bad it looks. But you're working on that, so it's fine. The minimap is pretty hard to figure out, it looks fine in the first post where it's huge but then condense it into 2" squared and you have to squint to see the paths. The chokepoints worked really well, although the resources were a little low I thought, it was quite high players, we had more than half the map and could field about 6 tanks. Maybe the team just lost a lot of tanks, but meh. I know you wanted to mimic slaughtered with this, and I do quite like that, but there is no cover. Srsly. The hills are smooth enough so that you can't hide in them, and even the slaughtered S-bend has a couple of trees.

19. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

oh i know, trees and bushes are a definite need dont worry, they will come! :)

I still have to pick a theme really, grassy or rocky or mossyish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I doubt I will add much more physical cover likes rocks n stuff, too much and driving down the half pipe becomes impossible, most rocks are placed at specific points where infantry can run for cover but vehicles wont be obstructed. Bushes and grass galore however!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  20. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

You could add little slightly covered paths along the hills. Like little trails with rocks on the sides that allow infantry to have a running battle somewhat separated from the tanks.

Would allow Gren ambushes on enemy tanks and stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.