driving school needed

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Blitz, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Blitz

Blitz Member

ok this idea has been going round in my head for ages mainly due to the poor driving skills alot of new commers have. The idea is to make a driving school style map much like the tutarial in HL when your given a run tho of the basics. Maybe make it look like a BE training camp with a sargent or some character giving you instructions and tips.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

maybe it's set in the past, when there was no war. So you can have BE coloured NF tanks (older models) and other things that are a mix of the two. It would be pretty cool, and add to the feeling of the game.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

Heh, would be nice, but I doubt it will be any good. It'll be like Hidden:Source where the people who already know everything about the game play it to see if they've missed anything and the people who don't have a clue go straight into an internet game and get in the comm vehicle and claim that "everyone has to learn" which then causes a huge flame war since there's a tutorial to which the noob replies, "Oh...lol....I couldn't be bothered with that" which then gets about a million retorts back of "You ******* ******* you're so ******* **** ******** retard!!"

But yeah, I would like a tutorial to see if there's anything I haven't picked up yet... =P

4. NobleDragon

NobleDragon Member

Still going to have teh n00b that jumps in the cv and asks "how i shoot tank?!!"

5. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I back a tutorial level 500% x2000. The other day I was playing, and a guy was being an idiot, and was asking painfully obvious stuff, and we were expaining it to him, but it was stuff like "How can I build?". Of course, me and my bad temper, I screamed "READ THE MANUAL, OR GO TO THE FAQ AT WWW.EMPIRESMOD.COM!
    Then he said that there was no manual, and I just got pissed.
    I then told him how to find it, and he said that he never reads manuals, and I told him he shouldn't be playing video games and should get back to the farm or flippn' burgers.

I usually, if the noob is nice and willing to listen, will kindly explain things.
    Or, if they ask "how do i use this car" (The CV), I say:
    1. Quit.
    2. Go to www.empiresmod.com
    3. Read the FAQ.
    4. GG.

Someone kindly added the other day a step 5, and that was to shoot yourself, but that's their opinion. I don't think that's a good way to learn....

6. Ganks

Ganks Banned

Driving school? hahaha. Thats pretty funny.

If you have a [LEGIT] copy of UT2004 go to the assault version in MP and join one of the racing maps. Those maps are quite hardcore. A few hours in one of those servers and youll be the best driver around. Its pretty much the same driving mechanics as any other game.

7. Muadib

Muadib Member

or here is an interesting possibility!
    to figure out comm, do what i did and start a lan!
    then you can just goof around and figure things out yourself.

8. Revolver

Revolver Member

Bojangles, do you remember the guy's name? I encountered someone who sounds very similar recently. And I could've swore I had told him before.

9. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

His name was DJMcTom or DJTom or something I think... also, another guy's name was Newbie, and it seemed like he intentially ruined our only chance at making a comeback at an enemy one time.... by driving our APC into the water and just leaving it... but maybe he was just really a super noob...

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

awhile ago i was working on a NF training camp but stoped work due to not understanding hammer as soon as i opened it. feel free to steal any of my ideas in the map thread to use in a training map of your own.

11. Darg

Darg Member

I was going to work on a flight training map for when the aircraft are implemented. I was also going to include a firing range for the tanks and basic infantry weapons. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make them drive around before they get to the range :)

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

this is definately a good idea. Whether people will complete the tutorial or not is another matter, but we can always try.

trigger_looks would be useful, but I don't know if there is any way to feed back from successfully placing a building and changing class and things like that. I think these things would have to be coded in.

13. Darg

Darg Member

Yea a comm tutorial is a whole other ball game. Basically I'm going to create a sandbox complete with targets and such for people to play around in if they want to. I'll have some popup text if I can figure that much out ;)

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:D I never read the manual, but it still took me only 30 minutes to learn the most important basics and even a bit of commanding in the process. I guess it helps that I've played so many games with similiar game mechanics(ET, BF1942, TFC, ETF, ETC.) before... :p No one has ever shouted me: "You stupid noob!", not even the times I go incognito as Emp_Recruit. I guess that my cover is always blown at the time I don't take the jeep from the VF...

There's nothing wrong in a newbie that wants to learn. There's everything wrong in a newbie that doesn't. :) I'm all for a training map.

15. Darg

Darg Member

Yea I remember the first time I played empires I found this really cool big tank thing and decided to drive around and look at the map.

I heard my teammates yelling that someone was taking their CV up to the enemy and I was like.. that bastard! where is he!

Then I looked at the coordinates they were shouting and the slow dawn of comprehension washed over me. Needless to say I hurried the CV back to base and apologised but the point is everybody has their noobish moments when first starting a new game. Luckily the game had only been out 2 days so there were quite a few noob players doing worse then that.

16. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Well, that's why I always say "Emp_Recruit! Get out of that vehicle ASAP!!!". I think ASAP is one of the best acronyms ever for a person in a hurry.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

On my first go, I stole an APC which people were spawning from and one guy was repairing, and used it to "attack" the turrets guarding the ruins on duststorm.

I killed the APC in less than 10 seconds, but "luckily" managed to jump out, only to run back to the dude, with little health left. he was angry.

18. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

SO YOU WERE THAT GUY! Ugh... brings back bad memories.

Ha j/k
    We could always split the tutorial into Basic and Advanced, making Basic mandatory, and advanced optional. Basic covers objectives, weopon and vehicle basics, and the common sense stuff. Stuff like "You see that cool looking car over there? That's called a CV. If you don't know how to comm, NEVER EVER TOUCH IT. EVAR."

Advanced would be stuf like how to Comm, customizing vehicles, and flying airplanes?

19. olla

olla Member

there should be a forcefield around the cv that you can only pass when you completed the advanced training ;)

20. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Brilliant! God knows we need a way to keep em out of the CV :D

I guess I'm the only guy that actually did read the whole manual before launching a game. Weird. Anyway I can see having a map that teaches how to drive and some basic funtions being incorperated into the game, in perhaps a sigleplayer mode. But as far as one teaching how to command... That would be quite a challenge. Would it be possible without Krenzo needing to program for it in particular?