Does cameras see hidden scouts?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Jul 13, 2009.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Can someone give me a 100% answers for this question. Or is there a bug, that scouts are sometimes visible and sometimes not?

From my tests I have no clear result. One time the other player saw me as scout and at a later test on another server with another player he didn't saw me.
    I tried to sneak hidden into camera range and also tried to get hidden when I'm already in camera range. Both with different results.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i herd rumours about it giving targets to turrets for hidden scouts, i dont even know what the hell they do to scouts :3

3. Dragoon

Dragoon Member

In visual scouts are never fully invisible. Even under best condition.
    For me I find to spot scouts in the open easy to spot, or if they are on a higher elevation and have sky as background. Under best conditions I only spot them when I'm actively searching for them or I'm lucky and bump into them. They are almost invisible but the elbows and the especially the NF helmet is a bit more opaque than the rest.

I think in the end it depends on the perception of the individual if they notice you. If there is camera you are always visible on the mini-map, but not everyone will keep an eye on it all the time.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  4. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

This is exactly my question. Always doesn't seems to be always.

5. Drag

Drag Member

Cameras don't put markers on hidden scouts. Cameras do not show hidden scouts on the minimap. Enhanced senses of scouts show scouts of the minimap. This is true for when the scout didn't unhide within the cameras range. Commanders can not see hidden scouts at all in comm view and thus can give targets to them.

If things are not like this there is a bug.

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Yeah, as drag said.

If you crouch in camera's range hidden, you won't get spotted.
    If you go in camera's range while not hidden and then get hidden, I think camera leaves a marker on you for some time.

If opposing team's person has enhanced senses he will spot you through minimap.

If you get in turret's range without hiding and then hide, turret won't lose its lock unless it relocates to another target. Then it can't find you anymore.

7. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Then there seems to be a bug. I definitely saw a scout on minimap.
    Last time I was commander (engi+repair upgrade). Went to the scout and killed him. The scout was visible on minimap all time (server=viper, map=money).
    The radar was also near the scout. Maybe you can check the code, if the radar has something to do with this.

And can you explain the part with unhide within the camera range.
    If a scout hides, unhides, hides in camera range should he be not visible, visible, not visible on minimap (ignoring for this test case that the minimap isn't updated immediatelly).

8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

If scout hides, unhides, hides inside a camera's range, then I think he left an arrow on the minimap. Can't remember for sure though.

9. o_O

o_O Member

I belive if the comm gives a target on a scout, who then hides, the target remains. Not sure if this is a bug or not but I have seen it happen.

10. Bass

Bass Member

Confirmed.

Anyways, there are times the minimap itself glitches:
    1) Refinery has the turret symbol for a good 4 seconds.
    2) Buildings are colored wrong.

As for the random enemy infantry markers, this usually occurs with the minimap glitching + someone just joining the enemy team and are in the process of choosing a class and spawn point.

It could all be coincidence though.