Does 2 minutes of research time matter?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazybum, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Not if you played against someone willing to abuse that.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you could do a lot of fancy shit while in comm mode. builing stuff was just the most harmless exploit ...

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Kylegar was less than pleased when I 9mined his CV from the other side of the map while sat in my CV. Hence //Fuck you Trickster. I think I also hijacked another dev's CV from comm view on the opposite team as well and spammed his vehicle limit up with jeeps and recycled some of his buildings.

Easiest way to get something fixed is to piss off a dev with it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

So you get to "leave" the CV and invisibly fly around to do shit? And you can get in the enemy CV and do horrible things?

Is that partially caused because bodies "disappear" when you enter a vehicle (e.g. can't be revived for lack of body, etc)?

Amen. That's why open source software is beautiful.

"You don't want me to find a flaw in your code? No no no, you just don't want to have to fix it."

5. Trickster

No, you were still entirely in CV mode. You had to fire your weapon via console. You could even go to spec mode and still be in comm view, listed as a commander for specs. You just couldn't do anything. But basically, if you could do it via console, it'd work. Hence jointeam 2 or whatever. If you did that to get on the other team, you'd be their comm as well, though your old team would be unable to get anyone in their CV.

Essentially, you'd E/F2 spam repeatedly until you got stuck in the CV (old bug). Once this happened, you basically had to leave the game to get out of the CV. You could die or get F S Spaced or whatever, you were still comm. It also meant the CV took no water damage. Commie once took scout radar stealth and hid under the bridge on emp_frost for over 20 minutes as the last guy on his team. The other team just had no way of finding him.

That doesn't really work out for video games. People exploit shit and ruin the game for other people, and fixes often take time. In the case of Empires, they may never come due to a lack of manpower. It's one thing for someone capable to look at the code and find exploits of which Empires probably still has hundreds, even after Marcin went on a rampage and fixed a tonne. It's quite another thing for that person to fix it.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Honestly trixy is probably a bit right about that. Even I would abuse the new bug I found for a while. With the intent of mapping the bug and its possibilities out probably, a bit longer then needed.

People of lesser standards would just abuse the bug without intent to fix. I have faith that empires forum members, or whats left of them, would do better then that though.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I have some exploits here and I'd piss you off with them, but we don't play the game anymore.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Yeaaah, I'll take a short brake to remind people that exploiting the cv drove alot of people away in 2.12. I only now remembered the deep-hidden memories of fucking rage.

Thanks faggots.

9. Trickster

Yeah I was and still am an asshole. I don't deny it.