Docks (yea, i know, Boats, long way off)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by willvette, May 7, 2009.

1. willvette

willvette Member

I know that boats are a long, long, long, long, long, long way off, but, what about the docks (water VF)?
    Here is what I think they should be: They should be placed the same way as the refs, pre-determined by the mapper. Have a dock Entity and a prop of a civil dock that you can place your teams dock on top of. It acts as both a Navel Factory and Navel Repair Station.

yea, i know, Navy, long way off ...

2. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

My only concern is the size of said shipyards. I personally think that shipyards should not be so limited to their placement as refineries are.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The idea of predefined structure sites in general is one I like, I think it would be helpful for some maps as well as for its own gamemode, where you have to capture locations not only for res but to build your advanced structures.

It'd certainly help with naval yards because they'd be a bit tricky to place otherwise, being half in water and half on land.

4. willvette

willvette Member

that is why i posted it in the first place, to try solve that land and sea placement issue.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

Empires shipyards should not be needing to touch land in my opinion, they should however have a ramp for infantry to climb out of the water into the build room.

And for goodness sake, PLEASE do NOT make the NF shipyard a big floating box!

6. willvette

willvette Member

Then you would have to swim to get to the dock to build a ship, on top of that it would have to be built in deep enough water.
    I can see it now; swimming a mile to build a ship. ^^

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

The nature of naval warfare on empires maps would suggest it wise to make specific locations for them which have built in spawn points which activate when a yard is in place there, because otherwise it's going to feel very hacky.

You could make them placeable anywhere and spawnable, but that carries with it other problems, namely people swimming behind the enemy base and dropping them in the water.

Special land/sea contact points would seem to be the best solution.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

agreed, plus it would add a new tactical level in stead of just "another" form of tanks

9. Vaun

Vaun Member

Make/Add some sort of node that basicly means "heres an area to build a dock". To negate the need for deep water, give the boats unrealisticly shallow water needs. Or have the dock/boat factory quite litterally shoot the boat out a few yard into the water.

Though the comm could put it facing land and shoot the boat farther inland acting as a large manned turret...

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

just make it so the dock "snaps" in place on a predestined angle and place on the map

mappers can worry about those problems then