Do you actually like wages? Should they be removed?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Trickster, Dec 11, 2012.

?

Should wages be removed?

1. Remove wages

25.9%
  2. Keep wages

68.2%
  3. I don't care

5.9%
  1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yes or no. I don't want any "if you changed X or Y" because we're far too late in the process to do that. I just want to know if you would prefer the game to have wages in the current implementation, or removed entirely.

Personally, I detest them. I believe they're a total disconnect from the entire concept of an RTS/FPS hybrid. As great as it is to get that last APC at the end of the game out of Nihia's wages which he never spent, it's just not right. If anything, it contributes to the slippery slope by increasing the winning team's res income even further.

At the same time, I'm honestly not sure. There are other sides of the argument I probably haven't realised. If I was totally sure about this, I'd just get it removed. But I'm not, so that's why this poll is here. I honestly don't know if it we should remove them or not.

So, simple question: Should wages be removed?

It's worth mentioning that RESEARCH IS FREE IN THE NEXT PATCH, if that has any effect on your judgement.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I always liked them. Slippery slope is always there, and wages at least more directly correlate with player skill than refs do. Refs are easily swayed by the actions of one or two players with jeeps and nothing better to do. Wages only really add up when the entire team is doing well.

3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

There's no option for 'your face is gay'

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Pretty much this.

5. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Every time someone votes yes, someone else votes no.

EDIT: Shit, it's like every active Empires vet came here *just* to vote on this poll.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

WAGES ARE AWESOME and are the only real "personal responsibility" to the game in the sense of vehicles

prevents spamjeeps as-well btw

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I say , no don't remove, KEEP THEM! I'll edit why, playing dayz atm

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

But trickster, how will i buy my jeeps without them. :(

9. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

Ban Trickster for necroing.
    He revived me just to get me to answer that question.

Keep the wages. I kinda like to be able to build my own cheap vehicles for ref raiding :3 Or give them away in the form of Rainbow Heavies!

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The bigwigs want to remove our wages.
    Occupy Empires 2012

11. aridian

aridian Member

Remove them or redirect the income to team bank.
    Either way no solo wages would be bettär.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

From my PoV, it makes every player that dislikes tanking, like myself, a detriment to the team just because of their preffered playstyle. I can't say i am really ok with that.

13. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Wages in their current implementation add nothing to the game mechanic, they are just additional ress flow for the team like a ref. Altough i don't like the current 'hey-lets-remove-everything-from-the-last-two-years' development style, wages should go. A far better solution ofc would be to make wages a complementary ressource needed to construct vehicles, e.g. you need x wages AND y ressources.

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Okay so why NOT to remove.

Don't remove it cause wages add to the benefit of playing good, a good player gets rewarded by having money to buy stuff. It's like newbs use all the money to buy tanks, pro gets 200 more res cause of wages, he indirectly gets priority over getting vehicle. So that's good.

I suggest adding a button that asks a player to put their wages into the teamres. It can only be clicked once ever 5 minutes for the entirety of the team or something. etc etc

Wages are good cause bitches get what bitches deserve

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Maybe a /command in chat to donate our wages to team if we cant make a button.

16. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I like how the wages gives losing teams a chance to fight back, my only problem with them is pretty much what Zoom said.
    People who don't use tanks(such as the commander or Nihia for example) will be sitting on 1k+ wages by the end of the game. I imagine getting nagged at for not using wages can get a bit annoying.

17. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Wages stopped people from bitching about buying jeeps. Voted for keeping them.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I voted yes.

I believe editting the equation "1 point = 20 wage" shouldn't be any harder than remove the entire stuff.

Perhaps make it 1 point = 15 wage.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I believe this to be a fallacy really.
    You do spend resources that you could spend on something that can cotribute to the team more, the thing is that hardly anyone sees that because its not taken from the shared pool. The one thing that wages help with is nullifing assholes that buy jeeps lategame, screwing with that 5+ people waiting to get a proper heavy, wasting money,time and team effort at the same time. This is still somewhat countered by the personal res you get, so I do not believe it to be such an outstanding positive that people believe it to be.

Also, as trickster mentioned in op, research will be free now. While I am certain this will soon be a major source of bullshit and uproar, it will make the extra res gained from wages have less impact overall anyway.

On a side note, I believe it's a about time people would cut making points about jeeps. Seriously, guys, I've heard this one a hundred times already and I am starting to get sick of it. Sure, they can be awesome, but they are not a center piece of (especially after earlygame) empires.

And wtf is with me and a sudden fetish for the word "believe".

20. tkeracer619

tkeracer619 Member

No question about it. Keep them.

An option would be nice to donate but damn if it isn't nice when the comm jumps out and builds you a heavy when the team is flat broke.

I have seen wages allow a down team to come back and win.

They keep people from bitching about jeeps.