Distant sounds

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dubee, May 22, 2007.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I remember Dee saying somthing about being able to have distant gun shot sounds for weapons.. if this is possible i think its pretty important to take advantage of it.. i was playing today and a tank was shooting its MG at me from pretty far away yet it sounded like i was standing rite next to it

i think it would be pretty simple just lower the volume(if it doesnt already do that) and then add some reverb

2. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Yea that happens to me a lot. A tank will be shooting someone else far away and it sound like its right next to me. I freak out thinking I'm about to get shot.

3. JorG

JorG Member

From what i've heard Halflife2 does it by making the sound stereo on left and right speaker but one side is muffled and distant sounding. Up close it only plays 1 speaker side of the sound, the clear normal sound. As you move farther away from the sound it plays slightly more of the muffled sound side and less of the celar sound untill your far away and its only playing the muffled side of the stereo.
    With this trick they get realistic sounding distance, something to think about for all those who like to make sound packs for this mod. Unless you have to do somethign special in the code for a mod to do this, I dont know if you do or not.

4. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I kinda got this working in my sounds. However, the fade sound is hard-coded to end at about 50 meters, and it sounds really weird ingame, as these distances are too short for empires. It sounded like you are playing underwater, so I took it out. Angry has tweaked the sounds some more, I don't know if he put them in.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

there's something in HL2 so that it actually plays a different sound when it's far away, we really should incorperate this. it's lying there waiting for us to take advantage of it.

6. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Read the damn thread before you reply!

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Same happened to me with RC6. Krenzo was shooting his heavy tank mg, and it sounded like he was right next to me, but in reality was far outside of my base.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it's mainly with the vehicle weapons that they sound really close.

9. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I've had this experience with the scout rifle noise also. Enemy shooting from a hill way far away but sounds like he is right next to me.

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

never had any sound problems here...

11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

maybe you dont under stand the problem then

12. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

I've had problems with rockets playing in a loop for ages, as if they were fired from next to me, and my sound has followed a tank after I had tried to spawn a tank at the same time as someone else, but they beat me, but they got my tank (I think) and I could hear it for ages, but he died and I made nothing of it.

13. arklansman

arklansman Member

That's a problem with the source engine, not empires.