Differentiating the Missile Types

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Apogee, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Apogee

Apogee Member

I'm make this suggestion because right now, all the missiles are pretty indistinguishable in their roles. Homing? Kills tanks. Dumfire? Kills tanks. Guided? Kills tanks... and buildings. Also, the normal/upgraded missile types are confusing to new players; who wouldn't take the "upgraded" version of a weapon?

So, with that in mind, here's the short version: Redo all the missile types (via scripts). Homing is anti-armour, guided is anti-building, and dumbfire is anti-everything (including infantry). Each missile will have a normal (one slot) missile, and a two-slot specialized version. Salvos are also special cases.

So, here we go:

Standard Missile Launcher:
    The basic missiles. Leave them as is.

Guided Missiles:
    Instead of normal and "upgraded", we have two distinct subtypes: the Guided Rocket and the Siege Missile.
    Guided Rocket: A small guided missile. One slot. Fairly slow and weak tracking, so hitting light tanks is hard. Mediums isn't too tough, and heavies are easy hits. Same damage as a standard missile, but weighs more.
    Siege Missile:A big fat damage dealer. Two slot. High damage, low radius, very slow, terrible tracking. Two shots per clip, these guys are nasty if they hit. Hard to kill anything that moves, though. Meant for taking out buildings and maybe heavies if they sit still. Mediums can outmanuever them, and lights can outrun them.

Homing Missiles:
    Not as drasticly changed as the guided, Homing missiles are now anti-armour.
    Homing Rocket: A small homing missile. One slot. Great tracking, fast, but low damage. a god secondary weapon, good for running circles around your enemies. Slow lock on - you better get close to have a lock.
    Seeker Missile: A fast, deadly missile. Two slots. Excellent tracking, speed, and damage, slow cycle time and 2 shots per clip. Hang back and get a lock, and fire away. A heavy can weather the blows long enough to close and open up with nasty weapons, and mediums and lights in particular will pop from a few well placed hits. This would be a primary weapon, not a back-up.
    Seeker Salvo: A cluster of seekers. 2 slots. Heavy. Light damage per missile, poor lock on times, but great for suprising enemies with a face full of explosives. Basically the same as the homing salvo now.

Dumbfires:
    Meant for anti-everything work, dumbfires give up fancy tracking for more explosive power. No fancy tracking means poor accuracy, but more room for thrusters.
    High-Yield Missile:Basically an upgraded standard missile. Two slots. High damage, big explosion radius. Very fast. Kills infantry pretty well. Kills everything, actually, but in terms of fighting tanks you'd be better off with a Seeker; the damage won't be as high, since you'll miss a lot.
    High-Yield Cluster: No tracking means you can fit in a lot of missiles. Fires eight low damage, high radius warheads. Blankets everyone with hurt, but not much to any one thing. Think of it like a missile shotgun.

So, there you go. I think this defines every missile into a specific role, so they aren't all the same thing in a different package. Thoughts?

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

i like

3. Ethan Fail

Ethan Fail Member

me too, LUV IT!

4. Spooky

Spooky Member

eh, I could care less about missles, I put 5 ml's on my NF heavy's and thats a god weapon on its own. as long as that doesen't change, this suggestion is good.

5. communism

communism poof

I was just thinkin, homing for instance should be an accuracy upgrade. For example

Im lets see 10 feet away from another tank and for arguments sake its a 10 second lock, at 5 seconds the missle WILL home but very inaccurately (50%) hit compared to a 10 second lock... Been drinkin will pop back in this thread tomorrow but you get the idea?

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

seeing as missiles become a support weapon in some cases, i am for but please retype your original post to include slot amounts, damage, reload times, etc etc etc

you can find the original values on this forum somewhere

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Yea weapon roles do sound nice, those descriptions how ever don't acually match up with how matches go. a little fine tuning would be needed but other wise a good concept.

8. Apogee

Apogee Member

I'm not sure how useful actual values would be. Whatever I put will need to be tested a lot, and so there's no point in sweating out the details. If the devs like it, they can implement and test it. I'll help :P

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

so you do care about missles?

i like it...alot...i mean i like this idea so much i cant stand up without people looking at me funny

10. FN198

FN198 Member

i would not be pleased if this was implemented.

11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Missiles do damage to whatever they hit. Cannons do damage to whatever they hit. How they get there is what's different.

Homing are easy to dodge, as it gives you a rather clear warning when one is coming. Should be high damage as it is so easy to avoid, but also needs to have a wild dumbfire spread, shotty like, so that it can't be used as a sniper like it is now.

Guided should be weaker, maybe slightly stronger than homing, or maybe just slower RoF. Guided can hit anything, anywhere, but almost require you to be sitting still or not moving much to aim accurately. Homing Tank v Guided tank, Homing tank would probably win 9/10.

Standard should be strong, fast, and decent RoF, with the downside of no control of where they actually go. Close quarters.

That's my opinion.

12. Demented

Demented Member

Pros:
    This would be inconcievably awesome in every way.

Cons:
    FN198 will not be pleased.

Alternatives:
    Remove all missile launchers but the standard variety. (To appease Spooky)

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

opening post is best idea

14. communism

communism poof

Ight a bit late but lemme try to further explain what I posted.
    Homing locks in slower at longer ranges, the closer you are the faster it locks.

I would enjoy a formula that took into account how far the enemy tank was, how long you were locked on and what kind of chassis the enemy was using. The longer you were locked on until COMPLETELY locked the formula would decides how wells the missle will home in.

Obviously for funs sake I would say that lights max homage percent would be 90
    Meds at about 80
    And heavys between 60-80?

15. Apogee

Apogee Member

My issue with that, Smith, is that then homing and standard missiles are pretty much the same thing - get close and own them. Either you get a lock and fire, you just fire, but either way, you're using the exact same tactic - get really close and shoot. And guided is great in tank battles.. ever tried HEMG or DU with guideds? all you have to do is keep your crosshairs over them, and its not too tough, even if both tanks are moving. Easier than leading shots with cannons, imo.

16. Vaun

Vaun Member

As long as they keep the regular salvo the same weight and slot amount, I couldn't care less what happens to the rest. But these are rather good ideas. *supports*

17. Tovarich Cookie

Tovarich Cookie Member

All i want is greater splash for std missiles so they can kill infantry...

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Missiles > Tanks, buildings. Infantry are still very vulnerable. Besides, put a normal mg or just drive them over.

19. Sirex

Sirex Member

So Devs what are your thoughts about this?

20. Sirex

Sirex Member

Or is this just one more good suggestion thread you are going to ignore?