Different Units

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by rampantandroid, Jul 30, 2007.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Instead of every single map having the same uniforms, same gun load outs and so forth, allow maps to have different units for each side - BE can have an armored division, Engineer division, infantry division, etc; NF can have...well, you get the idea.

Thus, what one could do for City maps is make each unit specific to that map - perhaps even come up with a specific NF unit - Militia...instead of grenades they get molotave cocktails or something.

This could lead into each unit type getting an advantage in certain areas of research and vehicles - IE, one armored devision would get some research discounted or already researched at the start of a map; different guns, different uniforms (Mountain division might have lighter colored armor, lighter guns and have some sort of an agility/stamina upgrade and have composite armor at a discount (as it is lighter than other armors) whereas an armored division could get heavier guns, and heavy tanks cheaper....you get the idea.

Then, for maps you'd specify it in hammer which division that map had for each team (is this viable?)

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

This would be much better than the differen camouflages, that way both teams can be unique and still have different skins, im all for it :D

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I like it. As long as the difference is quite subtle (a few different weapons/cut-price research) I think it could work. Camo is already done, after all.

Just to throw it out there: should the commander be able to choose which division to use at the start of a round? So in a city the NF could either choose Guerilla or spice it up with Armoured. I'm not sure about this myself, but it should make the opposing team's tactics harder to predict (if you know that BE are a tank division on a particular map, you know to expect tanks). Whether the choice would be limited to 2, 3 or completely open, I have no idea.

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

it should not be commander chosen. it should be voted on by the team. do you really want a nub commander picking mountain in a jungle?

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

well you'd only get a choice of one or two possibilities defined by what the map maker wants. the commander should be in charge of the strategy of the team.

I know that if i'm in charge, i don't want the team having a vote on what to research, when to place a turret, when to block the VF.

this is a fantastic idea.

6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Map specific was my idea; the mapper sets it, and that's that.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

awh this would be awesome.. it would be cool if people can pick the camos they want in class selection screen.. or the cammo for tanks in the VF

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

That's a good idea. Krenzo mentioned just letting the player choose their camo, but it would be even better to do it in the class screen. The vehicles could just be linked to the camo the player is wearing.

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

imagine someone was in an APC with 5 other ppl, all using a different camo, and they kept changing between driver XD seizure APC!

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

More like the person that creates the vehicle sets the camo.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think the whole faction should wear the same cammo based on the faction type designed by the commander at the start of the match. there's nothing pretty about loads of different coloured vehicles or men, but when you get a lot of men wearing the same stuff it starts to look organised, good.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

I can always imagine the one guy wearing arctic camo trying to hide in the trees on a grassy map. XD

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, I think the whole team should be the same, whatever the commander/mapper chooses.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i agree, other wise this may be a reality

emp_recruit: i'll come with you
    squad leader: no you wont, feck off, this is a jungle, and you ahve snow camo, you'll give us away
    emp_recruit: no I wont, i'm coming anyway

be medium tank: wait, white?

the NF squad is all dead by the tank because emp_recruit didn't want to blend in and stalked his team mates.

15. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Just make the camouflage thing selectable by mapper. That way it would work best in my opinion.

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You mean like it already is?

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

that would be me.. but i will still get more kills then everyone else :D

18. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I'm so very scared of cammo... I mean great for me whos got it...but not great for me whos getting shot from someone prone w/ hide and camo.. fields of canyon? Dunes of Dust storm...<shudder>

19. Kuma

Kuma Member

And dubee, that is what scare us the most. I will just be walking along on duststorm and I see this glistening white dot on the horizon....I think to my self "sweet, someone was an idiot and used the wrong cam-" and suddenly a death message pops up saying you got a headshot on me with a mortar....this being in RC 19 or the final release so what remains of my body is smeared across the land all I type is, "weak"

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Aww, place some mines here and there, make it look like they can melee you, then watch people fly.