Development Means in Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by Avatarix, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Avatarix

ur not dev :(

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

definitly HR material

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

That is factually accurate.

4. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

I'd be willing to volenteer for something...

5. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

I don't have many tech skils though

6. Avatarix

7. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

8. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I removed those posts because McGyver was mocking scripters. With mocking removed, his point is to suggest that applying to balance the scripts would be just the perfect job for people who want to do something and have no technical skills.

My apologies for this mishap; moderators should be beyond reproach, and never post insults or personal attacks. The other moderators are discussing what to do next.

9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

geeze, live a little.

We know exactly where Mcg's comment came from... love for the mod and the community... if you cant take a little harmless banter (that in all honesty wasn't even directed at anyone specific, so its not a personal attack) then you should resign and go work for neopets...

As a moderator you should not be expected to be perfect, or devoid of emotion, or beyond reproach as you call it... this distances them too much from the community they are moderating and creates opportunity for corruption and abuse. Moderators cannot be impartial judges because they are part of the community, and if they are outside the community they cannot preform their function since they have no idea what the community is...

tl;dr learn to community lead, you are doing more damage then good here and Mcg didn't do nuthin offica.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's worth saying that doing the scripts is not as simple as being able to change numbers. You actually need a really good understanding of the game to do a good job. I'm not taking the piss when I say no-one with under 2k of hours and a decent chunk of high level play experience should really be in that position, in my opinion at least. I understand that very few people are still around who fit that criteria, but Security does, and I genuinely believe he knows what he's doing.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Like i really dont get why people take it so seriously, it was obviously a joke, and yes all you said is true but you are basically explaining the joke atm...

Its like me saying "You know, we all call trickster our little dictator and compare him to kim jong ill and stuff and he even adopted the image as his avatar but really the guy contributed a lot to the mod through leadership and vision, steering the mod out of some of its darker moments of development hell even if he was sometimes annoyingly spamming people telling them what to do and to get off their asses."

Nobody does that, even if its basically true or at least a personal opinion based in fact... it ruins the joke... im a fucking certified autismus maximus and i get that you dont fucking explain the fucking joke.

It was funny you guys, random number generator... nobody got harmed... why the hate? Mcg is the best community moderator atm and thats coming from a guy who generally dislikes him.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you never implement or even interact with the good ideas, people who will put a lot of effort into ideas will stop.

this eventually comes down to;

1 devs think ideas are shitty and ignore them
    2 people give up on putting effort into ideas deeming it not worth their time
    3 go back to 1

Want great ideas in the suggestion forum? engage with the community and dont just wait for them to say something usefull but interact proactively...

for example, is there a problem you as a dev want to tackle in empiresmod? make a thread, saying "this is my current solution that i want to make for this problem and try out... any suggestions to make it better or avoid pitfalls?"

i bet that a lot of shitposting later, some shiny turds float to the top and you will have refined your solution in a way that makes it generally better, costing you in development time and make people feel like they are contributing again...

13. Trickster

I didn't touch McGyver's posts, I didn't even see them. I have absolutely no moderator powers or any access over a regular registered user.

14. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

People can't take jokes anymore or maybe there is some ingame criticism of Security's scripts I am not aware of? I did not mean to offend Security and I am sorry if I did. That does not change the fact that scripting is the most non-tech job around.

15. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

Make constant jokes about programmers game breaking bugs and calling em features, everyone laughs and has fun over it.

Make one joke about the scipters and suddenly its going too far.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Ofc i dont blame you trixy, its just that the whole 'mythos' around your person is a prime example of how banter is good and builds community...

heck i am mean and angry and frustrated a lot lately due to personal stuff, i try to keep it to myself since empmod forum is not my personal shoutbox to work out my issues but shit happens, and sometimes this makes me go overboard... But you know what, people have told me 'blizzy you are crossing the line' and i apologized or toned it down... thats how respect works.

but dont expect me to censor my normal banter like calling trickster a dictator or the moderators the language gestapo or calling the scripters '10.000 monkeys on typewriters bashing away'

thats how community works...

17. Trickster

I haven't and have never had a problem with people taking the piss, that's fine. I just get salty when people imply they have a right to know precisely what's going on, or that they have a right to demand certain things are worked in someone else's free time.

You're absolutely right in that regard. There's a reason I got involved in the Empires development team originally by doing scripts. I'm not a coder, nor am I a 3D artist. It was the easiest way I felt I could contribute to the mod. As you said, it's the most non-technical job that there is. Doesn't mean it's necessarily the easiest. Sometimes the work is extremely tedious and time consuming, plus as I said earlier, requires a great deal of knowledge to do properly. But yeah, given experience ingame and time, anyone can do the position. It's just that most probably shouldn't.

Plus the scripts are pretty diverse. You can start off easy by just changing values of weapon damage, maybe change research time. Then you get into more in-depth stuff like weapon handling, recoil management etc. Then you just go way off the deep end into vehicle handling. I literally avoided that shit like that plague, it's fucking terrifying.

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

No no no. I played this game for 40 hours a week 6 years ago, therefore anyone even remotely involved is directly accountable to me. I Expect TPS reports daily, SWOT analysis weekly and at least 6 hours a month of conference calls where everyone tells me how good my suggestions are and which of their shirts they are going to send me next.

....and you are all waaay behind with your TPS reports, especially Trickster.

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

There is quite a bit of in-game criticism of Security. Can't blame the guy for losing patience.

But that comes with the position, can't remember any scripter that was not criticized and driven to quit by all the haters.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Neoony and Tama like this.
  20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I could never tell the difference between any scripts except tricksters. Besides that everything is just varying shades of crap

21. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Cant be invading them SafeSpaces TM