Delete Your Steam.cfg And Any Associated Files - Steam Content Server Will Be Removed

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The test server for steam content is going down. Delete your steam.cfg if you have one, and any associated files. We'll be testing via a new, much easier method in future, so this method of testing is being retired. Try to pass this on to any other testers to let them know, as they'll be unable to connect to steam once the test server goes down if they're still hooked up to the steam.cfg testing method.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

but is it a better method?

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Godamn and I just hooked up the steam cfg thing yesterday :(

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

yaye... going back to RC's

5. Trickster

Nope. I'll explain exactly how to do it once we have it working fully, but it's really, really easy. No RCs, SVN or additional software stuff.

6. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Does it involve that empires beta thing I found in the steam database?

7. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Close but no cigar, it's really simple, you have to come to my house and pay me a fee to use my tester version. Don't mind the similarities to last version, also don't the headphones (I really can't figure out why they're so oily)

8. Trickster

Nah, it's a branch we just pull off the main version. It's run like the old beta system was supposed to run though, rather than the dumbass way we had to go about it.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Opt in Beta testing thru steam

10. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

STEAM.CFG REMOVED.

What I do is keep two folders on my HD to quickly switch between old and new empires. I simply do a rename each time. This also keeps you always up to date with the latest files - and not just pull an old copy from a zip file.

Run via CMD prompt or by clicking on. You'll want to monitor it the first time and put PAUSE where the empty REM lines are to confirm you have your folders named properly. It takes up alot of disk space but only takes 30 seconds to swap back and forth.

Upgrading from NEW to Original Empires - assumes you have three folders. EMPIRE, EMPIRES ORIG, EMPIRES NEW. Since the running version is Empires Original - it will delete "Empires Orig" and rename Empires to "Empires Orig" to retain any updates you go during game play. It'll do the same for the GCF folders. Please send back any upgrades to this Vinnie@JustGoFly.com.

Some obvious comments. Your install would need to be on D: or these batch files modified to your files. You'll have to initially make the Empires NEW folder. You can run the old to new and the script will make the old folder. You should have three folders to swap back and forth as previously mentioned and about 8GB free.

REM means REMARK or Comment.
    ECHO shows a string on your console.
    Here is "Upgrade to New via RENAME.BAT":
    - paste below into a file - excluding the separator lines. TWO Separate files read first.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    @REM remove empires folder then expand file into that folder
    @REM since we're multicore - we can do this with two processors if we desire by spawning the two unrar's
    @REM
    @ECHO SHUT DOWN STEAM and press ENTER!
    @PAUSE
    del /F /Q /S "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires ORIG"
    rem
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires" "empires ORIG"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires NEW" "Empires"
    rem
    del "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires*.gcf_ORIG"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_base.gcf" "empires_base.gcf_ORIG"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_content.gcf" "empires_content.gcf_ORIG"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_scripts.gcf" "empires_scripts.gcf_ORIG"
    REM
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_base.gcf_NEW" "empires_base.gcf"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_content.gcf_NEW" "empires_content.gcf"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_scripts.gcf_NEW" "empires_scripts.gcf"
    REM
    REM ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steam new.cfg" "steam.cfg" <- removed as per Trickster
    Pause

Now "Downgrade to Orig via Rename.bat" - paste below into a file.

@REM remove empires folder then expand file into that folder
    @REM since we're multicore - we can do this with two processors if we desire by spawning the two unrar's
    @REM
    @ECHO Shut down steam and press ENTER!
    @pause
    @REM Steamapps\justgofly\empires\empires first
    del /F /Q /S "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires NEW"
    rem
    REM capture current downloads into the NEW folder
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires" "empires NEW"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\justgofly\empires ORIG" "Empires"
    rem
    REM del "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires*.gcf_NEW"
    del "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_base.gcf_NEW"
    del "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_content.gcf_NEW"
    del "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_scripts.gcf_NEW"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_base.gcf" "empires_base.gcf_NEW"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_content.gcf" "empires_content.gcf_NEW"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_scripts.gcf" "empires_scripts.gcf_NEW"
    ren "D:\Program rem
    REM
    Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_base.gcf_ORIG" "empires_base.gcf"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_content.gcf_ORIG" "empires_content.gcf"
    ren "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\empires_scripts.gcf_ORIG" "empires_scripts.gcf"
    rem
    rem del /F /Q "D:\Program Files\Steam\steam.cfg" <- removed as per Trickster
    Pause
    Good luck.
    Vinnie

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012