Defenisve buildings?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Valiant, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Kamber

Kamber Member

what about making a bunker like variant of the barracks? it could be very expensive and require research too be done but have turrets or man-able guns?

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

To be honest, I'd like defensive structures to help even against a massive force.

Obviously a well equipped force with good tactics and control should be able to steamroller a rabble, regardless of bunkers, but a well equipped force with good discipline and control should be an even match for a well-dug in, less well equipped, smaller, equally intelligent force.

To this end, defences should be about thought, you should have to be skilled to use them well.

How this may be achieved is a matter which merits much thought.

3. techar

techar Member

I was told to add my opinion.

Maps need more cover, so things like sandbags, entrenchments, and bunkers are all good ideas. Also, barbed wire would be awesome, especially if it damaged the enemy.

Maybe something like building rubble. In real life, buildings don't dissapear when they're hit with artillery, they crumble into rubble. This would solve my problem as well as create a new gameplay function. Maybe engineers could remove the rubble like they deconstruct enemy buildings, perhaps reclaiming some amount of resources in the process.

Maybe large stationary artillery guns, firebases, or mannable large turrets, that are the size of buildings, and cannot be placed by engineers, only the commander.

I'd like to see my ideas implimented, but, who doesn't.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I always considered engineer walls to be cover for maps. :P

I read somewhere that the new building models that are being worked on will turn to rubble but I imagine that would only be an animation and not persistent physics models.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Custom maps already have sandbags, trenches, razor wire and bunkers.

6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

That wasn't the point.

7. pedro0930

pedro0930 Member

many maps already have very little spaces to build...the the rubbles last too long it would be impossible to put down a forward VF =/

8. Apogee

Apogee Member

How about upgradeable buildings?

For instance, the armoury could be upgraded to something essentially the same size, but with gun ports on all sides, ammo and health crates in the middle, and perhaps some sort of damage-reducing effect on the occupants. Oh, and a big whack of HP. Not much use if it dies to a few shells.

You could expand upon that pretty easily... maybe make basic bunkers as an early defensive choice, upgradeable to a tower/tougher bunker. Maybe add turrets to it as well (bunker with a turret on top!). Anyway, ideas, ideas...

9. Balo

Balo Member

I would like to see buildings with more than one floor, like a tower for snipers with a lot of HP and some defensive turrets at the top.

That would be cool.

10. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Which maps are you talking about? Other than Streets of Fire or Cyclopean, all the maps have giant open spaces with lots of room to make a base. The carcasses of a building only last 30 seconds at most anyway, it would take the same amount of time if you were waiting to recycle an engineer camera that's blocking your way.