deconstructing vehicles

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by flasche, Apr 10, 2012.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i think it should be considerably faster. if you manage to stay in calculator range next to a(ny type of) tank for 5-7sec you deserve to decon it.

ofc it shouldnt be this fast for the CV ...

btw, can you decon moving vehicles? since you cant heal friendly units while moving (though i think you can repair moving tanks)

oh right, and its not bc i just failed at this, its because i previously watched someone in spec who tried to decon a tank and it took the driver an eternity before he finally managed to kill the guy with the stdcn of a nf lt (tells a lot about the driver doesnt it) while the poor engi with his mlturret could do jackshit.

edit:
    oh sorry, this might have been the wrong forum :D

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

When hitboxes are all fixed up, then maybe. Right now, I regularly trap vehicles by placing a turret between their tracks, and then deconning. As funny as that may be, can you imagine if you were able to take them down in a few seconds? That needs fixing so it isn't so easy to trap them. After that, then yeah, it's worth doing.

3. flasche

i didnt expect instant change anyway, so yes, take your time ;)

also nother think that just jumped up in my mind. you just could add (a considerable amount of) heat, to force the driver out.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

decon = lots of heat? That sounds nifty... in a sort of OP way. Some enemy shoots double he at you while an enemy just walked up to you and started deconing your tank. Your tank is now overheated due to the combined heat.

5. flasche

if you let a footsoldier get to you beheavy within melee range you actually deserve to die ... if it stops people from racecaring heavies through a base im all for it, its a pretty retarded, sadly very efficient, game mechanic - though you could simply not make it work on moving tanks either. itd only be a simple check versus the velocity of the rigidbody ...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. Trickster

Again, if we fixed being able to trap vehicles with turrets, the heat thing is another interesting idea, although in the long run, I think heat is getting changed anyway.

7. Reznov

Reznov Member

If you decon a vehicle long enough up until 100%, you should be able to highjack dat vehicle. Except for CVs of corse. All passangers should get killed when they get highjacked but it should take some time to do it.

... y do i suggest so much bs.

8. ViroMan

I wish hijack plugin was in again.... that was the best plugin ever created. Even better then the parachutes plugin.

9. Trickster

Hijack was cool but a bit crude. But it did expose the main issue with taking a vehicle from the other team, it has to be obvious that it's an enemy vehicle, and that's not particularly easy. It'd probably need to swap to a new skin, just tinting is isn't really an option.

10. flasche

maybe it wouldn't be that bad - its not that bad in battlefield either ...
    on the other hand you dont have a dozen tanks which are almost invulnerable to infantry either ...

11. ViroMan

I don't know how you could not understand.... its the enemies color... SHOOT IT YOU BRAIN DEAD RETARD!

12. Trickster

My point is that tinting it is fucking ugly. Battlefield has spotting icons which, when red, make it abundantly clear that the guy is on the other team. Or to be exact, if he doesn't have a blue/green icon, he's not on your team. A real hijack system in Empires needs to be clear, but not crude.

13. flasche

well, you only see names for friendlies ...

14. Reznov

Reznov Member

This won't work because the average empires player is not able to read/understand and learn, so we need to make it waaay more obvious. So yeah, hijacking vehicles will stay a dead suggestion forever until our devs are able to encrypt the empires code or the player base of empires actually starts to evolve fully functional senses and logic.

Maybe the engineer should lock one of the WASD keys if the progress of deconning got up to 100% making it annoying for the tank-driver to drive? Of course it should only affect players which are trying to drive that specific tank which got deconned to 100% progress.

15. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

If tinting stolen tanks are bad. How about custom textures added to the texture family with enemy decals?

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

To current deconning, add a short timer that counts down while deconning and when it reaches zero, overheat and maybe some hull damage. CVs excluded.

17. flasche

deconning deals direct hull damage anyways

18. Trickster

That's what I was saying, although somewhat further than decals. The point is, it should show the hijacked tank on minimap whenever it's in range, even if it hasn't been spotted (unless radar stealth etc), and it needs to get a special texture for being on the opposite team to what it should be.

19. ViroMan

Special texture for stolen tanks!?! You mean if you were ever to steal someone's car you paint "stolen" on it, then drive it around there block?

That aside, it seems like alot of effort to generate a complete list of separate textures. Not to mention more memory lost due to storing the textures in memory in case they are ever used.

Why not put a target box around the stolen tank when its in some specific range to be detected as stolen. Something like the current missile lock box. Less work, less memory loss, semi easy code. Engy radars should detect stolen tanks too.(It gives them a reason to exist.)

20. flasche

i do not believe the average battlefield3 player to be smarter then the average empires player. empires just is more complex and complicated. tbh when i take the felt average on this forum i believe you guys are the more intelligent ones ...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012