Dear AMD: Suck my ____

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rampantandroid, Nov 7, 2010.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

[rant]

So, apparantly my Viewsonic VX2025 is in the process of kicking the bucket right now, and as I expect from all Viewsonic products, it's doing to shitty job at it. As in, on DVI with my GTX280, it is recognized as a "VGA device" or something like that. But it works still - it communicates it's resolution correctly, and I can set it to 1680x1050. Great stuff, that.

But see, I replaced my 5970 because...it "never output DVI" but fuck all, my GTX280 did, so my 5970 was dying. And given that my 5970 has been less enjoyable than finding a pile of flaming poo outside my door, I wasn't surprised. So, skip to when I get my replacement 5970. Also toast. Wtf I say....so I finally decide to borrow someone else's monitor, and give it a go. Low and behold, DVI DOES work.

The fuck?

Plug my GTX280 back in. My old monitor's DVI works again.

The fuck?

Plug the 5970 in again, and hook up the monitor to analog with an adapter, it's recognized as the Viewsonic VX2025.

The fuck?

So, let me get this straight: My monitor's DVI is flakey (always has been) but at one point DID work with the 5970 fine. Check. Then, magically it didn't work. But my GTX280 DOES work fine still. And the monitor works fine with other nVidia cards out there. Check.

So, what my takeaway is...hmm, AMD/ATI cards fucking suck (gee, I've been chanting that) and cannot handle DVI correctly. Instead, they just error out. When nVidia cards instead are able to work fine.

In short, nVidia cards (well, firmware really) are better engineered.

To all the people here who chant love for AMD videocards: Suck my dick. Wait no...all the people professing love for AMD are also lollicons...

[/rant]

2. Empty

Empty Member

Both companies are pretty similar in terms of video cards.
    I've had plenty of cards from both brands, and I've never had huge issues with either, although I do remember when my GeForce nearly caught fire.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Well, given I've owned 2 ATI cards (an 7X00 and my 5970) and (TNT2, bunch of other old stuff, 5900 Ultra, 6800 Ultra, 7800GT, 8800GTS - both revs and a GTX280) and....with the exception of my 6800 Ultra needing it's low power 3D clocks increased to match the regular 3D clocks, they have all worked seemlessly and without any serious issues....but yet both ATI cards have been total fucking pieces of shit with useless god damn drivers AND WILL MY 5970'S FAN STOP FUCKING RATTLING. AMD, STOP BEING SCUMBAGS AND START PRODUCING FANS THAT DON'T FUCKING RATTLE.

Intel & nVidia: do the world a favor and drive AMD under. I don't care that I end up with a monopoly, make those fuckers burn.

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Running crossfired 5770 and a 5670 on my secondary comp no prob ;)

My old 8500GT blew out those cylinders on the board. It was pretty cool it sounded like an explosion.

5. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Installing the 5970 AMD drivers makes all whites have a red hue. Where's my sledgehammer, I'm going to fix this problem...

6. Fricken Hamster

I look forward to installing ATi drivers with joy!.
    It almost beats reading the patchnotes.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

We already established based on you being a lolli and looking at pictures of cats being killed that you're a sick fuck. You don't need to give us more evidence.

Removed the AMD drivers, colors back to normal. Seriously, wtf is this shit, really AMD?

8. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

ATI and NVidia cards both have tons of errors, sometimes a whole series, nothing new,
    I had that with nvidia and ati,
    so I wouldn't praise nvidia to much just because you had bad luck with ati now,
    or you will prolly regret it tomorow when your whole mainbord burns because nvidia produced shit ...
    on another note, if the fan stopped working, was that card really produced by ati or by another producer?

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

AMD 3500+ processor sucked.
    ATI 4870x2 Graphics card sucked.
    ATI 9550 (ok, old I know) Graphics card sucked.

Nvidia 8800 GTS was awesome.
    Intel E8400 was awesome.
    Intel Q9450 is awesome.
    Nvidia 285GTX is awesome.

Coincidence, dear Watson? I think not.

10. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

I didn't talk about how good they were, I talked about the bugs and errors,
    my 4870x2 is running fine btw unlike the geforce 5650? i once had (once? three times is more like it ...)

11. YouzY

YouzY Member

My AMD athlon 5000+ sux, the only reason why my fps is so limited is because of that processor :|

12. OMEN

OMEN Member

every time I buy ATI graphics cards because they are cheaper than same spec nvidia - I am disappoint.

ati seems to be "faster" or as fast as nvidia equivalent once every 700 years when a yellow unicorn shits tarantulas.

then every 5th iteration of ati drivers updates, some crazy texture or model bugs come out of the woodwork.

also any time I bought STOCK HSF graphics card - that shit cooks everything in a 2 meter radius.

so then I end up returning the ati graphics card and replacing it with "elite" edition or some similar crap so it doesnt boil my nut sack every time I play a 3 year old game at 1280x1024 resolution.

OR you can fit an aftermarket HSF yourself an waste even more money AND void all warranties for your already under-performing, overpriced, untested, pile of Malaysian silicone bingo.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  13. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

nVidia 5xxx sucked.
    nVidia 9800GT rebranded.
    nVidia GTS250 rebranded.
    nVidia GT200 series overpriced.
    nVidia GF100 (most RECENT CARDS for fuck's sake!) are extremely inefficient.

AMD R300 (only great comeback before RV870 (HD4XXX)) was awesome.
    AMD HD4K was awesome, making nVidia cut prices nearly in half to match.
    AMD HD5K was awesome, offering better performance at every pricepoint.
    AMD HD6K is so-far, awesome. Absolutely thrashes nVidia's sweet-spot GTX460 at lower power/same price; enforces some HD5850/5870 price drops.

So basically nVidia's past generation (GF100) has one great card, one ok-not-so-great card (GTX470), one monster-of-a-fail card (GTS450), and one fail-of-a-card (GTX480). ATI's past THREE generations have been nothing but success.
    The HD4870 was already a hot card, so what did you think would happen? The GTX295 wasn't exactly cool, no dual-GPU board is.
    Also, intel/nVidia aren't exactly cooperative.
    Derp, processor is 2.5+ years old.

@Ramp; there are thousands (or more) of other users happily using DVI to connect their 3-way eyefinity or for single-monitor use. I also picked up this tidbit from reading around, "Water cooling is the only option since the only air cooling solution from Arctic Cooling kills one or both of your DVI ports after installation." Ooh but no, this can't be right, because it's not AMD's fault.

14. YouzY

YouzY Member

Yep, my pc is almost 3 years old now

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I always had ATI products and often had shit with them when I updated drivers. After some time, the drivers permanently damaged the card (hurr durr I don't need to turn on the fan because my drivers are broken), I RMA'd it and saved 350 euros. After doing this three times (over a span of 6 years), I'm in a bit of a pickle because my current ATI card (HD4970) isn't destroying itself and ATI's drivers are stable for it! Still, managed to get a better card free of charge three times in a row, not bad

16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You're emo. You just find out that 1 product doesn't work with another product (out of thousands possible) and blame the 1st.

17. Fricken Hamster

I've concluded that rampant android doesn't know how to install graphics cards.

18. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Yeah, I was going to say this pretty much describes my experiences with every brand, AMD, Intel, Ati, Nvidia. I don't think I've ever had anything hardware-related work the first time.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Every component I've had from those manufacturers has worked out of the box, although I don't think I've ever had an ATI graphics card. Luck of the draw perhaps?

20. Fricken Hamster

This is what usually happens.