Cyclopean base rear access

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Coffeeburrito, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I found this accidentally in a match last night. In Cyclopean, when approaching the NF base south gate, you can run up the hill to the east. This route not only allows an attacker easy access to the base wall's walkway, but they can also run around the rocky cliff behind the base, drop a few ML turrets, and spam grenades at the buildings. Is this an intended vantage point? I thought it looked intentional as I didn't need to build any walls to get up there, but in-game accusations made me think I should confirm the validity of this tactic.

I haven't checked if the Brenodi base has a similar route, but I noticed a few other potential paths to behind the NF base while I was up there.

2. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I was one of the people who made the an accusation. But after some consideration I don't think he really caused that much damage, a few mortars took him and his turrets out. I personally wouldn't consider it an exploit, especially since anyone can run up there.

The only thing I worry about is an admin not knowing it's accessible by conventional means and banning the person from the server for exploiting because all the players (like me) are yelling about exploits. I wouldn't want to see anyone banned for it (since I know the ban hammer usage has been pretty fast and loose lately).

3. Simon

Simon Banned

............. Oh my god that person has aquired higher ground and advantage EXPLOITER!

I assume devs know about this as they have prevented tanks from being able to get there.

4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

If its somewhere you don't want people to be, put a player clip brush there. Stops that route right away. The mapper may have missed this in testing, or it may be intentional....?

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

Well there are (or were) several player clip brushes around the bases last I remember, so this must be a missed spot.

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i agree with ark. it seems rather unfair if the BE can access this area of the NF base, but the NF can't access a likewise area of BE base, likely a missed spot

7. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Or perhaps something worth keeping, and instead adding a similar-but-different route for the Northern Faction?

8. Simon

Simon Banned

Uhhhhh NF CAN get up above BE base.

9. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

This is true, the route isn't as easy as BE getting above the NF base, but if you head east from the north side of the city, you can run all the way north parallel to the bridge. There's probably other places to get up as well though.

10. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

There used to be clip up there... maybe I messed it up with this recent release when I added the vehicle clip. will fix

11. unconnected

unconnected Member

same thing happened again today, except with a mortar the guy took down the VF, Radar, and Barracks.. So ya wouldn't be a bad idea to fix that

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Caelo can get tanks up on the cliffs :|

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

what is he the only one who can? lol ive seen many people do that

but today i placed an armory for an engy up there and he built it and went gren and killed the entire base.. this spot needs to be removed

14. unconnected

unconnected Member

ya, that's the game I was refering to..

15. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I meant for people to be able to get up there, I just didn't think it would become such a big annoyance.

I fixed the player clip and vehicle clip as well as increased the slope of the mountain to the east of the NF base. This new version of the map will be included in the next RC.

16. unconnected

unconnected Member

whohhooo.. although what is even more fun than mowtaring the whole base is just being hidden with a sniper rifle and taking the unwitting saps out as they try to build up their base.. fun fun fun

17. nhammen

nhammen Member

The turrets that are guarding the base by default give a false sense of security... Add some turrets guarding the cliffs overlooking both bases, and all the problems are fixed, because now the defending team knows about this area (and is notified when a grenadier takes down said turrets).