CW Map pack #1

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Iselore

Iselore Member

yes, you're my god!

2. Hawk

Hawk Member

i love arid, but the bridge...

[​IMG]
    ...is a pain in the ass...3...three tanks got stuck IN the bridge because the went in the middle gap.

3. Silk

Silk Mapper

Haha yeah, but people will learn eventually ;)

Two tanks can cross at once, each on one side and with a lot of extra space, and the gap is small enough to drive over as well. If you drive into the gap ... well that's just bad luck.
    Unlike pro mappers i tend to think a map doesn't need to be idiot proof. Put an idiot in a tank in real life and i'm sure he'll mess something up as well. I just hope they've learned something from it.

People still slide of the bridge in frost as well, even those who know it's ice. imo it's just funny. Annoying? For the team that lost money on that tank, yes. Will i do something about it? Nah, i just hope people will learn that you shouldn't drive into gaps or do donuts on a very icy bridge :)

The fact that people do things like this is because they are used to maps that really ARE idiot proof, and have come to expect safe conditions in every area in every map. Well guess again ^^

I personally like arid as well, but it seems to me that it isn't very popular on servers. Those who dislike it, what are your concerns about this map?

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Personally, on frost, I love it when the enemy commander rushes 3phase and puts scouts with vehicle speed in the vehicles. That makes the other team roffle for hours.

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

I'm having a few problems i can't seem to fix. I'm hoping someone here knows a few solutions.
    5 problems:

- Stuff in the skybox isn't casting shadows in the same way (or not at all?) as stuff in the real map. This is much too obvious.
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_arid/problems/emp_arid_rc30019.jpg

- Same problem but entirely in the 3d skybox. Some displacements just seem to have other lighting calculations. Lightmapscale is the same everywhere.
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_arid/problems/emp_arid_rc30020.jpg

- Light bulbs. In other maps i used env_sprite with some glow texture for all light bulbs to make it look nice. But it's not working anymore. I even get error messages in console about the sprites used for env_sun and env_sprite telling it's ambigious and that i have no extension selected. Env_sun still works, env_sprite doesn't show anything anymore.

- Shadows from dynamic entities start too soon. The part under the map seems to cast shadows in the opposite direction. I tried compiling the map with the entities above the ground, then move them down and do an entity only compile, but everything was still floating above the ground afterwards.
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_arid/problems/emp_arid_rc30021.jpg

- With the Orange box version, the command mat_hdr_enable 0 doesn't work anymore, so i can't build cubemaps for ldr. Nevertheless the command still exists according to the console, it just doesn't turn hdr off anymore.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  6. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

alright finally, i work with the OB engine A LOT

First problem, check to make sure there are no cracks in the displacements, that will cause that problem, and try not to use HDR lighting. HDR lighting in the OB engine doesn't quite work to well

just about everything int he 3d skybox will not cast shadows as well as shadows will not cast into the 3d skybox, look at mvalley

the guy who made vehicle training ran into your third problem, so he eimply put the palm just about the ground and it gave it the proper shadow, who ever made the palm trees didn't' quite make them perfect as it seems

and for the last problem, no the mat_hdr_enable 0 does not work in the OB engine, and yes it does exist. if anyone can get this working. LET EVERYONE KNOW

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

Ha, i've got so much more hope now :rolleyes:

So ... i have to come up with some natural, realistic looking .. thing .. to hide the skybox/map edge differences.

Then i have to go move all trees upwards, very carefully as to not put them above to ground, but as close to it as possible.
    I made vehicletraining btw, and if the problem is not there, it's not because of something i did :)

Any idea about the sprites ?

8. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

hahahah ob and sprites

THEY DONT" GET ALONG

i am the maker of Snowbridge, and if you play my maps i very luckily got explosions to work properly, but they dont' last like they are suppose to. NO CLUE HOW I GOT THEM TO WORK, but yeah just use light_glow as glows, lol

glows work well in OB, and highly recommended

9. Silk

Silk Mapper

Thanks to Blight i figured it out. I copied those env_sprites, and by copying them the extensions really where removed from their names. So that should fix that problem.

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

yeah that works

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

lol I love people that are "new" to the empires community :D

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

emp_arid_rc3

Links:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/116294924/emp_arid_rc3.rar
    or
    http://rebootilicious.rbcorner.com/emp_temp/emp_arid_rc3.rar

Changes since RC2:
    - Added an NF base (partially skybox)
    - Added a BE base
    - Added a lot of extra rocks (more infantry cover) ==> don't worry it's still usually lot's of open fields
    - Made the southwest look better. It might not be perfect, but it's definately ... better
    - Improved textures and displacements on tons of places, including the skybox
    - Improved ladders in tunnels
    - Added a mine field to restrict access to the NE area
    - Smoke from res spots stop after placing refs and return after destroying the refs
    - All the trees cast shadows now
    - Tunnel entrances can no longer be blocked
    - Signs in middle explaining what the buttons do and signs at the doors telling where the buttons are
    - And lot's of less visible or minor changes

In RC4 i'll include a new minimap and a few more tweaks <== should be the last one

Screens of RC3 will be posted in a while

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_arid/rc3/emp_arid_rc30046.jpg
    http://users.telenet.be/samhannes/mapping/emp_arid/rc3/emp_arid_rc30047.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  13. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Awesome looking preview pics, can't wait to try it out.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

The signs should say "Danger Minefield" instead of "Danger Explosives"

Minefield says they may explode, explosives say theres shit to shoot and blow up.

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

Prebuilt bases again, yuck. :/

16. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

when you release the next version you might want to make it's own thread

a thread for each map?