Custom Weapons

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Theoriginalbman, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Theoriginalbman

Theoriginalbman Member

Just like the title says I think it would be neat to be able to create your own gun. After building a armaments plant you can then build custom weapons and ammunition.
    Parts could include scopes, firing mechanisms i.e hammer or futeristic electronic and various other parts. So one could make a rapid fire sniper rifle if they chose to or a high damage low firing speed rifle. Adding stuff like greande launchers and and laser sights could be an option. People who know more about the mechanics of guns and ammuntion could probably sugest different upgrades and effects. New gun parts and ammo could also be reseached. The original guns could be chosen at the start the upgraded ones are more something that you get later on.

Pros of this
    A whole new tactical dynamic a team could go vehicals and build uber tanks or go infantry and build uber infantry. Or split the reseach

A commander would be useful on city maps

If amour is included then it could become really interesting

This could be used to allow people access to weapons they want. Anti tank rifles would be a matter of having the right research that way they are not overpowered early in the game.

Cons
    Coding from hell
    New skins new aminations new buildings
    balance issues

Sorry about the spelling here

2. Lord_Doku

Lord_Doku Member

I think thats a enormously tad to much to put in this mod. Its already alot of code to get RTS in it let alone customization of weapons. But im not a developer of any kind and its just a guess.

I do think there should be something diffrent though: the option to get faster research with multiple radar's or multiple researches; one per radar.

3. Androc

Androc Member

Ooh, I like this. More customization is ALWAYS a good thing. It's not so impossible, we've already got customizable vehicles.

Still, fuckton of coding. Maybe for... 5.0? Airplanes and battleships are already on the burner.

4. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Fuck.
    No.

5. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The idea in itself is pretty good; but how in the world are you going to balance something like this? So it is fun and fair on both the recieving and the firing end? How are the weapons going to balance against eachother?

Balance aside; this is alot of artwork and coding. To such an extent that you can make 2 Empires mods with that amount of work put in... But if you just hack some stuff together and forget the art and some of the code; people will complain that the mod "Lacks polish" and some other fancy words people use. Everything you see on the screen was made by someone...

Now that engines are becoming more complex and real like; the general public believes that computers do everything for you. Hell no, if anything the work load has increased more than 3 times fold just in art work. Now you don't only have to make and worry about a simple texture map, but also a bump specular, sub surface, glow and god knows what other maps.

Programing doesn't looks any easier either, modern engines require alot of understanding not only in actual computer programing, but in physics as well. (Not just kenematics but also how light bounces off surfaces and behaves. It is one thing to make a specular map, but have you ever stopped to think about what the engine actualy does with it?)

In short:

-Hard to balance
    -Alot of art and coding work

6. Bleeding Internet

Bleeding Internet Member

Not to mention that this would make the mod even more complex and further steepen the learning curve, which, as I gather from what I've read on these forums, the dev team wishes to avoid.

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

If it were to be divided in to four branches of customization.
    [changed stat = changed model]
    -ammo type= unseen
    -Clip size= clip model change
    -Firing rate= Rifle model change
    -Alternate fire= Scope,melee,iron sight.. appear in respective places.

And all Have varying effects on recoil control.
    And certain Modifications Are only allowed to certain classes.

And the menu could run just like choosing new skill (funny how this game likes 4's).

But other wise I feel this may be to much for Our Over burdened mod... yet If this starts to get support I'm Gonna have to do some concept pieces.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

fuck yes

9. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

It can happen.....if you have $5000 to spare. <GBEG>

10. Vaun

Vaun Member

I like the idea, the screen could be like with vehicle modification, slots for underslung items (grenade launchers, lazers), top (scopes) and rounds (standart, he, rail, etc) but ya, its still a pain, but having a rail sniper to kill arty tanks would be good, since the shelled out team could actually defend from arty, and smg grenade launcher and scope codes are already in the hl2 codes, but getting them to go on and off would be the hard part i guess, but it could just replace their current with a different gun...

11. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I like the idea, of course, but it just wouldn't work in implementation with a volunteer mod team. Unless, of course, you willing to wait a few years for Empires v5.

Plus, I dont really like the idea of having another reason for half the team to stand around a little computer screen while their base is under attack.

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Oh If this magically happens to work. I want a Shot gun Alternate fire on my machine gun. Like A 4 gauge barrel siting under the mg one.

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

ok 3 2 1 GOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGO TEXTURE MODEL IMPORT ANIMATE WHY THE FUCK DON'T I HAVE MY CUSTOM WEAPONS YET

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

because you touch yourself

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

all the time baby

Also for some reason I really want to post a quote from Simon

16. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

lol no.

why would you want to let people make their own guns..?

17. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

fuck yes i would soooo love it, altough realistically seen this will never happen

18. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

why would you want to let people make their own (insert vowel here)..?
    Tank
    Skills
    Base
    research
    Decisions

19. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Dictators are the shit.

20. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

A Crysis-y mod system would work.