Custom Maps wont download for clients

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Jackel159, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Jackel159

Jackel159 Member

Ive got a server up and running. The maps are great and i got them from that sticky for the map pack. Well as a client when i connect to my game running these other maps I get disconnected from server saying i dont have the map. Technically i have them and sure i could add them myself, but if i want ppl to play on my server so I want them to download the content. How can I allow this? I have my server set to "1" on the download and upload in server.cfg and I even tried using the consol on both client and server to allow content downloading. Assistance please? Thanks

2. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

fuck I should know this, theres some command that limits the size of files that can be downloaded by servers to something like 20 MB, most of the custom empires maps are larger than this and wont be allowed to download. You have to change the value, I'll try to find it when I have the time. If scardybob get on the forums I think he knows what this command is.

3. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Try putting this in your server.cfg
    net_maxfilesize 100

4. Jackel159

Jackel159 Member

Alrighty, thanks guys i'll give this one a shot. Tell you what happens...

5. Jackel159

Jackel159 Member

The command worked great, thanks! However I realized my connection cant handle the extra bandwidth for downloading maps. Do you know a good ftp server that i can point to where empires maps would be downloaded?

6. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Trickster or Kane may help you with a redirect server, may want to ask them.

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

have the devs concidered hardcoding that command?

8. Demented

Demented Member

I would hope not. There might eventually be a reason for a server to change it.

9. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

No problem with defaulting it though, surely.

10. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

there's no need for it, if any file is larger than 20 mb and you're downloading it from server, might as well go run for a few miles and come back and even then your download probably wont' be done.

If you're going to force to client files larger than a few hundred kb, you need to get yourself a redirect server to force the downloads from. This is the way it's done for every game that i've ever played.

11. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

There is a default (something like 15 or 20mb). The problem is that most custom maps are larger than that.