CTF Maps/gamemode

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Kylegar, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

So, I got a wild hair up my ass and was thinking about a CTF gamemode/maps in Empires.

EDIT: This is in no way any official concept or idea, and, unless there is an overwhelming majority of positive opinions, it probably wont even be considered for addition. In other words, treat this idea/suggestion as anyone else posting a suggestion, because I thought this up today, and haven't really done much to develop the idea.

so, there could be two types of maps. Static and Dynamic.

Static maps have pre-built bases with indestructible buildings. Resource income is static, and based off a number of pre-built refineries or Capture point objectives. The Flag is in a static position in a team's base, preferably around a barracks or VF. The other team must go to the enemy base, grab the flag, and return it to their flag. First team to 3 or so wins.

Dynamic maps is where the game gets most fun. Both teams start out with an indestructible CV and a barracks. They must capture Res nodes, research, basically, a Classic map. To grab the flag, the opposing team must touch the CV to acquire the flag, then must run it to their CV to capture the flag. First team to 3 or so wins. The CVs are indestructible, but, can be stalled and overheated, so, running your CV into the enemy base may not be a good idea. Also, since you need to touch the CV to acquire and capture the flag, you cannot wall your CV in, otherwise you can't cap.

I could see this gamemode being really fun with maps like Canyon or SOF, or customs like Blah or Delta.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. Porthos

Porthos Member

I think this would be more entertaining in maps built for it. Maps with certain vehicles and techs already researched with flags for spawn points and no CV. I would see this as more of a "game" then a war. like a training exercise. Maybe just have jeeps only or no vehicles at all. Completely infantry. I dunno it could be a lot of fun. Turret spam would be a problem.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

omg, Devs talking openly and asking for public suggestions on an idea?

wtf, am I on the right forums?

^_^

I love the idea. I would prefer it to be an entity and brush entity that you can trigger events with, so that you can either tie the entity and brush to something (like the com vehicle) or a static area, and be able to pick up the fflag or be triggered as a flag carrier.

4. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I like it, especially the Dynamic version. It's a neat new twist on maps that could add some new, fun gameplay.

How hard would this be to implement?

5. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Oh, I should say, this is in no way any official concept or idea, and, unless there is an overwhelming majority of positive opinions, it probably wont even be considered for addition. In other words, treat this idea/suggestion as anyone else posting a suggestion, because I thought this up today, and haven't really done much to develop the idea.

6. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Question: How do you get the flag by touching the enemy CV without dying?

7. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

3 phase jeep.

I would love just the entity support for this idea, as you could use a static fort CTF map that while fighting regularly, incursions into the enemy base to capture their flag would provide instant res or extra tickets or something.

Sorta like a side game to give jeeps something to do.

8. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

As in, being run over? or as in, the enemy team raping you and using your corpse as artillery shells?

As for being run over, I guess, disable the ability for CVs to run people over in CTF mode. Since they are indestructible, it would be slightly unbalanced to have an invincible infantry rape machine.

Or, bring sticky stun nades or something to overheat the CV :P

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

How to get stun sticky ammos?

10. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

I could see it as a sub-version of Empires, but I think thematically it would be all wrong, at least in the raid the enemy base repeatedly to score best 2 out of 3.

About the only way I could see justifying it thematically would be a sort of Tiberium resource gathering map, where players are rushing to harvest some resources (as flags) and trying to take it back to their CV/base/whatever. Some players would be flag grabbers, some would be forwards trying to guard the grabbers, and some would be score defenders trying to intercept the enemy flag grabbers.

The resource would repetively spawn flags at whatever rate the players could grab them (not just 1 at a time), but could be depleted over time. There might be multiple resource locations though. A killed vehicle flag carrier would destroy the flag. An infantry flag carrier that was killed would drop the flag in place.

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Maybe an option in hammer to make the CV unmovable? That way, it can't drive over people, and you always know where to score.

Could create some great lulz maps with this..

12. petemyster

petemyster Member

an indestructible cv.......

drive it to the bottom of the lake in slaughtered and sit there? 0o

13. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

don't forget to add a renegade styled gametype

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Fixed.

Anyhow, you could always place the com in a hole or something that makes it perma stuck.

Maybe have it stuck by an invisible box around the upper half of it that would prevent moving.

I think a flag brush has more potential than anything.

15. Riot

Riot Member

Ok to expand on GoodGames idea of multiple capturable flags, how about something like Flagrun, the old TFC map. you have multiple flags out on the map and have to bring back as many flags to your base as possible. Either it could be like Flagrun where, once the flags are back in your base the enemy can come in and take them off you and run back to their base with it OR a new idea could be the flags give you resources on a multiplier basis, only once theyre secured in your base. The first team to reach 1000 resources wins. This would be achieved by having more flags captured than the enemy team for the longer amount of time.

You could also stop it becoming a base wars thing by making the flags return to their spawn point after giving say 100 res. This will keep the momentum of th egame up by making the fight be constantly spread out across the bases AND the battlefield as no one team could jsut hoard all the flags at the start and dig in. They'd constantly have to keep going out and reacquiring the flags.

16. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

This might be better without a CV and let the mapper set a "Capture point" that the flag can be brought to. Having to chase down a CV to get the flag while being shot at by enemy tanks dosent sound like it will work. Capture the flag does sound like alot of fun though. Perhaps have an indestructable VF and give everyone equal res.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im not sure if the "dynamic" mode would work, think about HIT or arty rape.
    i can see some potential for the other ... erm was it static ... mode.

18. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

I would like to see a gametype where there are "cells" that must be captured and brought back to base, and placed in specific structures. Once you have all the cells you get a superweapon to blow the enemy up and win the game :)

But really any kind of new entity support is welcome, ideally it would be good to have Lua scripting support like Fortress Forever has, because then you can make a huge amount of different gametypes.

19. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

+1

Like the dynamic more than the static idea. Maybe you can combine them to make the first barracks contain the flag. If that is destroyed, then the next barracks contains the flag, etc.

20. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Well, I was talking to Megel a bit last night about it, and thought up a solution to the invincible CV running people over.

So, since the CV cant explode, when the CV takes enough damage to be 'Killed', it is overheated for a few minutes (1-5, server definable). This way, if you run your CV into the enemy base, and they 'kill' it, it's stuck there, and the defending team has to protect their CV for enough time for the timer to tick down and it can escape. Also, when the timer is done, the CV repaired to full hull, but no armor, so it can escape, but, if it's hanging around for too long or is not being protected, it's going to be stalled again.

So, basicly, it's "Oh shit, our CV is stuck, everyone defend it for a few minutes and help it escape." time.

Also, about driving the cv to the bottom of the lake in slaughtered: Why would you do that? it makes the CV immovable, undefendable, and easally surrounded. The other team would just need to control the S bend and their side of the bridge, and they can keep your team out of being able to defend it.

Basicly, in Dynamic CTF maps, it's the constant defense of the CV that's required, not the "Oh god they are rushing us" defense. Basicly, if your base is destroyed, run the CV into a secondary base, and set up there to hold out, because the other team is concentrating on returning your flag to your base.

Finally, Megel, Read the "static" paragraph that I typed in the op

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009