Crossroads and district

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by petemyster, May 4, 2008.

?

Is petemyster insane?

1. Slightly, crossroads does need something done about it.....

25.0%
  2. Slightly, district does need something done about it.....

10.7%
  3. No! your completely right, both need work

50.0%
  4. HELL YES! I love those maps.

32.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. petemyster

petemyster Member

Well i just played a game of crossroads (and lost). I just want to express how sick and tired I am of this map, it sucks. Its "run to the centre and 1st one to drop lvl3's wins", even if you get a barracks up its their gaurenteed win. My team didn't have any lvl3 upgrades so we lost the centre pretty quickly and from then on in, it was slowly getting beaten back. I researched lvl3's and dropped em but the enemies lvl3 spam made it impossible, and even if i tried to drop walls infront of the turrets, the enemy would quickly bring them down.

This map is too linear, it needs more alternate routes, and alot of work to fix this.

Secondly in my burst of mingbaging is district. This is like a crossroads version for infantry, except not quite as bad, even if the enemy spams lvl3's i've seen miracles happen. But it is still very linear (the underground helps but i don't feel enough). This map bores me, and the ticket bleed helps alot.

Am I insane?

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'd like to be able to restrict lvl 3 (and perhaps lvl 2) turrets, but until i get the code support, that's not going to happen.

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Meet your new best friend:
    [​IMG]

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Look at the JPL - BSID match from the previous league season, JPL won using nothing but mortars against lvl 3's and then some tanks in the end to punch through

I really like both of those maps; when both teams are competant, they provide for some nice close range fighting that doesn't happen often in Empires...

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

the ONE THING that bugs the crap out of me on crossroads is that you can seal off the rooftops with cameras. So an engie with turret upgrade and an engie with revive can just sit up there and REALLY screw with the enemy. I hate that. Add some sort of brush that keeps you from dropping cameras near the ladder.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You can't restrict cameras specifically right now, hopefully when emp_eng_restrict is redesigned that will be possible.

7. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Yeah, with a team made of JPL/BSID/insertclannamehere it´s not that much of a problem, but we are talking about PUBLIC matches.
    I totally agree with petemyster.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

At some point pubbers become as experienced as clanners, so things that are exploitable by clanners become common place, this is the reason why games are balanced by the competative scene instead of someone who just picked up the game (For the most part).

But I do agree on the point where those towers are so annoying because they are easily blocked off...

9. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Just put that brush above the ladders. Nothing should be built in that area. I think I already did this.

10. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I played the TF 2 free weekend trial and I love it.

How that is related to Empires is that there shouldn't be that much things which you can more or less exploit to be better than others. In TF 2 I didn't see almost any kind of things on classes or places on maps which you could have exploited to your advantage.

And I think those people who think it is right to have that kind of advantages and then learn them later with time is just wrong. Everybody should be able to know all those things which are needed to win without joining a clan and talking about secret ways to more or less exploit maps' shapes and classes unbalanced areas.

I like those maps as they are but it is true that when both teams are good they may stay in the stalemate situation quite long. Especially the district and at least that needs some chaning. Crossroads could use some too but not too much so its basic idea doesn't disappear. It is meant to be a map which has two ways from its one end to another.

11. petemyster

petemyster Member

perhaps the empires wiki should be updated with the mortor idea (so new people read the map stratgies and see that).

as in you've already done this in the 2.2 patch?

Also another thing about crossroads, the turrets can mostly shoot though the trees and tree branches. I wouldn't have a problem with this on any other map, but on crossroads it means infantry can't see the lvl3 but it can see them.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If you use team work(like walls) you can get cover and good looks at MG turrets with out getting shot at.. And if the trees are in the way then you need to find a better place to stand. I usually see a lot of people just run out in the open like headless turkeys agianst turret spam.. These are smaller maps so you obviously need to play them differently.. If your team can't beat or copy the level 3 rush then you deserve to lose.. They were the better team..

Turret spam is actually a horrible tactic on crossroads.. You just need to find ways to counter them like nades/ML turrets/HE shells/Grens/Scouts.. The mowtar is easy to use on the top of the middle area, just have an engineer block off the ladder and you've got safe cover to kill turrets and the engineers repairing them with no problem.

And these are not advance clan tactics, more like common sense.. But I completely agree with taking out the ability to block off ladders. Thats ass lame tactic that usally bugs me no matter what team I'm on.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  13. Demented

Demented Member

People actually touch the wiki?
    Ew.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Districts sewers entries need a rehaul. Otherwise. Tis fine.

15. arklansman

arklansman Member

Imma do some small fixes on it tomorrow. I'll build restrict that little part of the top, fix a small hole in the displacements, and the rocks you can get stuck in.

I mostly typed that so I would remember myself. :skull:

16. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4

17. Demented

Demented Member

I think most of those have been aggressively fixed by now. =P
    Most.

And recently I saw a medic running around with a permanent uber.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Me too. His nickname was infinity über :) but he didn't harm our team that much. He was a medic and ran around poking everyone with his bonesaw but nothing big.

And four guys or so is nothing compered to 2000 servers and 10 000 players playing all the time. I had awesome time playing TF 2 and I still think that it is extremely well balanced.

19. arklansman

arklansman Member

Turns out there was only one of those. :/

And it was for walls only. :/

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

beside the camera/ladder failure i think crossroads needs more room for both
    teams to place a barracks and to be able to get vehicles through...

Oh and there should be cover so you cant snipe the nf rax from everywhere middle