Creative research

Discussion in 'Archive' started by cpugeek, Jul 8, 2007.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

It seems like in every game of Empires I play, the commander tends to research the same stuff. I rarely see weapons such as bio cannons, homing missiles, or plasma cannons being researched. I understand that you guys have found a research pattern that works well, but i think these other weapons should be used more often, or improved so that they are actually useful. What are everyones thoughts about this?

2. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I've always wondered about researching bio first as BE to get bio diesel, regen, and bio weps for APCs...

3. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

I have seen this before... minus the weaponry...

4. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

I actually agree, except that I personally have had a bad experience with biodiesel.

If your objective is speed at all costs, then fission reactor. If its acceleration, then three phase. If it's hardiness, then biodiesel. If it's heat-reducing, than coolant.

Unfortunately, heat-reduction combined with moderate speed can beat hardiness combined with moderate speed, can beat high-speed and high-acceleration too.

Coolant engine is the only engine which actually helps to increase the firepower of the tank by letting it fire more before it overheats. The rest of the engines are interesting but don't actually benefit the tank's other aspects, like firepower and armor.

I love regen armor, I agree there.

Bio weapons? Never been a fan. Doesn't mean they're bad, I just prefer HE shells-higher blast radius is easier to kill targets even with a miss. *BIO WEAPS ARE NOT BAD! that's not what I said!*

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

it takes way to long to aquire a target with homing. Turrets can do it automatically, it shouldn't take 5 seconds, maybe one

6. duke

duke Former Developer (BE Creator)

Too much choice and not enough difference maybe? Something might be slightly better but considerably more expensive/time consuming to research where you'd be better off taking a shorter route and buying more of it (in the form of equipped tanks or whatever).

7. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Maybe it should be easier to research medium tank since all the upgraded weapons require it.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

this sounds great, the only slight problem maybe that BE would reap the most benefit from this, but with a bit of balancing this would make the game a lot more fun. Im for this 200%

There are a lot of proper research paths I never see used, infact its seems like im the only one taking them whenever I play, the problem is still that when you have the research that your team is also able to use it effectively, maybe the no. 1 reason why most comms go for a safe path.

I remember one game where I was doing a much different strategy, with specialized med tanks, dropped 5 of em at the same time, and none of the drivers knew wtf to do and all got killed by a single arty (yes, 3phase med tanks all getting killed by an arty, as unbelievable as it may sound, it happened)

9. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

do bio weapons still do ff? I always liked that part of them. not that I like shooting people on my team but having to be careful is always good. That and pumping many bio missiles into my team mates. muwhahaha

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

They only do damage to yourself, I think.

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Homing missiles and plasma cannons are very hard to use in comparison to normal missiles x 4 or plasma mg. I don't think that I ever saw fission engine in vehicle :P. Guided missiles don't give you any real advantage. Uranium APCs are great but rarely used. I always plan to use uranium mg + physics engine + physics armor but I always forget about it. :P

Absorbant armor was only used because of exploit. :)

I don't think that I tested it: can uranium (AP) destroy turrets?

12. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

AP can't damage buildings, thats HE MG (or i might be confused myself right now), either way they are too unnaccurate to start hitting mls outside their range.

I'd have to disagree with your first point, homing ml vs 4xml. 4 mls are also very unnacruate an very hard to get all hits on a moving target, while homing is the opposite, very hard to dodge a homing missile and they do more damage than 4xml.
    The plasma cannon really does suck, its only good when you have some tank tactic which involves having a special MG, tbh I personally feel that the plasma cannon should do damage, at the least the same as a standard cannon + the added heat.

13. KILLX

KILLX Banned

what do you mean by physics armor and engine?

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

engine / armour under the physics research branch me thinks

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

SwampRat: yep.
    dizzyone: I tried to destroy a tank that wasn't moving a lot and was 10-15 m away from me. I completely failed when using homing missile launcher because to lock it up you need to wait 5 seconds and hold pointer over the target during this time. Even if you do that homing missile doesn't do a lot of damage. 4 rockets didn't really do anything and of course I got destroyed (the target didn't even try to kill me he was shooting once per 10 s). Someone said that homing missile will be tank's weapon against aircraft (heh I want to see someone locking it on aircraft) but as ground to ground weapons it's just useless. (I would at least have *some* chances to hit with 4x ML).

16. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

What if homing missles were automatically locked on spotted targets, and you could cycle through targets?

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Or if you could have a pre-lock on time, where looking in the general direction of where the enemy tank is locks on a bit, then looking at the tank with your crosshair will completely lock on.

18. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I like it too when you need defuse on vehicle and you have a lot resources for it, it is very expensive.

Also I think Uranium MGs can damage buildings but because of their slow firing speed, you can't really see the effect.

19. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i dont have that memorized. what are those?

20. ANGRY Shaved Whale

ANGRY Shaved Whale Member

I got it! What if there was a research for high impact cardboard..... this way its cheap and unrelieable!

meh...

untill the other engines and armor ar made better, why should we change from coolant and absorb... The thing I have a problem with is, there is nothing in BIO to research that is a must... For instance... In chemistry there is engines, armor, HE bullets, he shells, and on occasion upgraded missiles... Now you need the three things... engines armor and HE shells... in bio you only get engines armor and missles...

My suggestions is to make new research and place it in bio... thus making bio reseach more appatising...