Creating an Internet Listen Server

Discussion in 'Support' started by Icely, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Icely

Icely Member

A few friends and I were having trouble setting up an Empires listen sever to play around with recently. For some reason though the servers were not showing up on the list and manually connecting through the console failed - the host at this point could see our packets reaching his machine, the server just didn't respond to them and the rest of us were disconnected after 4 failed connection attempts.

We're experienced enough running game servers I can be sure the problem wasn't port forwarding, firewalls, or the servers being set to sv_lan. We did finally get a dedicated server running without trouble. And we've run Empires listen servers before, I believe on version 2.24 even. So we're having some difficulty making any sense of this.

Does anyone have an idea what might have been going on?

2. Empty

Empty Member

First of all, you need to forward several ports.
    www.portforward.com has everything you need to know about setting up your ports to allow servers to be run, they have information on basically every multiplayer game and nearly every router.

After you have forwarded your port, you should launch your game, and host the listen server.

You will then have to put a few commands into the console:
    sv_lan 0 (To make the server public)
    sv_password "" (to remove any password you may have)
    map emp_cyclopean (or whatever map you want to play, you have to change the map for your lan settings to take effect, and you have to use the map command)

Once the map is loaded, put "heartbeat" into the console, to force the server to send details to the master server, then go to www.whatismyip.com to find your proper IP (not your local IP)

Once you have the IP, add the port you used for the server (default 27015) to the end, after a colon.

E.G. Your IP was 164.242.14.50, and the default port is 27015.
    The IP you tell your friends to connect to via console is: 164.242.14.50:27015

3. Icely

Icely Member

Thank you for the information, but you'll notice that I already explained that most of that was done (and what wasn't mentioned was only left out to keep the post short and readable).

4. Empty

Empty Member

Sometimes listen servers just don't work.

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

you get rated books

6. Icely

Icely Member

An Empires thing? Haven't ever had problems with other Source mods (besides the usual one between the keyboard and chair). If so, good to know, next time I might be able to avoid pulling my hair out. :rolleyes:

7. Foxy

Foxy I lied, def a Forum Troll

My listen servers always work.

Too well. I get randoms joining.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i hate it when people join in when i am testing a map and they start downloading the map

its like they have the incomplete product then :(

9. Empty

Empty Member

I hate when I accidentally host a public server with a map I'm messing around with, and then they rejoin another time and rage at me for not changing filenames each compile when I haven't actually released anything.

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Just add a password?

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i am for the freedom of information