Crashing

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bob The Builder, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Bob The Builder

Bob The Builder Member

I can play 1.08 for about 10 seconds, and then my computer freezes up and I have to shut everything down. I get looping sound crash. I crash whenever I do something, like shoot a gun, break a window, or try to get into a vehicle. Sometimes I can last a little bit, other times I can't last as long. I have no problems with 1.071b, or any other games. I tried looking for the .mdmp stuff but I don't have them.

My computer is a utter piece of shit
    P4 2.53 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    ATI 9550
    Onboard Sound

I tried updating all drivers, defrag, and checking for spyware, but it still doesn't work.

Anything else I can try?

I wanna pistol whip Pickajoe so bad.:p

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

Since you're always so helpfull on our forums, i think maybe it's time i help you for a change.

Buy a new pc !

muahahaaa

3. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

stop putting mines into the CD tray

4. arklansman

arklansman Member

Send your crash dumps foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

5. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I crash like that a lot too. Usually when I spawn in a vehicle or and explosion goes off on my screen. And this only started happening to me since RC16. It doesn't give any crash dumps.

2.1GHz
    1GB RAM
    Radeon 9600xt

Bob wishes he could pistol whip me, hahaha. Well your wager is accepted, come the day you enter 1.08, I shall pistol whip you.

6. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Try to play without sounds. I think it is your onboard sound card which causes crashes.

7. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

The latest crashes for me are of this nature, sound gets stuck. Happened today while playing cyclopean. No dumps in fact the last dump is dated 28 of may. I've crashed plenty since.
    2.1 gz 1gig ram, radeon 1600
    on board audio ac97

8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

dude... THATS LIEK TEH EXACT COMPUTER I HAVE!!! It's sitting next to my current computer, acting as a server.

Turn down texture detail to its lowest level.
    If the game gives you that crashing shit, restart your computer, and try again

9. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I do have my textures set to low, I'm going to go out on a limb and blame it onthe onboard audio.
    The 2 maps that it happens almost religiously is Clyclopean and Glycen city. All the others are not a problem.

What is different about these 2 maps vs the others?

10. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Lots of textures? It may be that those two are ON ALL THE FUCKING TIME

I get this problem with a PC liek bob's but a 2.2 AMD processor. I think it is caused by onboard sound. Try putting -windowed into the command prompts. I used to have it but it decided to go tiny on my screen, and with 800x600 as default for some reason, it was like playing as a cylon without any of the cool bits

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

All of you, see here: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=242

use those options to configure things. Technically, DXlevel just modifies options you could configure in the Options>Graphics window, but my config I use for all source games nowadays (because these kinds of crashes started happening in every Source game I own (damn it Valve!) so just use this if you want:

Code:
    -windowed -condebug  -dxlevel 80 -novideo -novid
    Windowed really helps. Trust me. Even if Empires crashes, you can easily re-run it. Condebug just outputs the console output into a log file, I have yet to find. DX level sets everything to very low, but makes it nice and safe. Novid and Novideo ensure you don't see any ... unnecessary ... intro videos. Sorry Krenzo, but that just might attribute to someone's problems >.>

12. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

nooo directx 8 makes empires look crap, honestly, it's like your player forgot to put on glasses or somthing

13. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I'm a spoiled gammer...if it dosn't look cool/sound cool I'm not interested

I'll try windowed mode again it defaults to 800X600 for me, although last time I did it, I couldn't see the hull/armor strength or my health ammo situation. But I think thats more from running 1028X??? in windows and then 8X6 in game...but I'm a big dumby when it comes to things like that.