Crashing with bluescreen of death...

Discussion in 'Support' started by freeyourmind775, Feb 18, 2008.

1. freeyourmind775

freeyourmind775 Member

Usually, I can play 1 or 2 maps, before I get a crash. It says sometime about Direct (I'll printscreen next time It happens). Then, if I relaunch and try to join a server I get a blue-screen of death. I checked the other topic, and My problem seemed similar, but I have a different error. I'll have to get the blue-screen data next time it happens.

I am currently running empires client 1.12.

2. freeyourmind775

freeyourmind775 Member

Ah, I think my Specs might help (Just thought to post them):

Alienware Satellie Portable Desktop (Pre-dell)
    Dual 3.2 GHZ Pent 4 processors
    1gb DDR3 (Might be DDR2, I don't remember how to check -_-') ram
    100 Gig drive partitioned into 15gb and 85gb (15gb for windows and assosicated temp files, 85GB on games)
    100gig external hard drive partitioned into 5 20gb segments (mostly for backups and older games, HL/Steam is run off of my internal hard drive)
    Nvidia Geforce GO 6800

3. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Try running an older version of Directx, maybe 8.1

are you getting mdmp files in your Source SDK base folder? Send those to bugs@emipresmod.com

4. freeyourmind775

freeyourmind775 Member

K. I'll send the mdmp files.

Also, My other games require directx 9.0c...

Any more suggestions on a solution?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  5. Caelo

Caelo Member

you can set empres to tun in dx 8.1 with the "[SIZE=-1]-directx 81" parameter.. You can set it in steam by right lciking on empires and choosing properties --> set launch options

*edit*
    It will only affect empires.. all other games will still run in 9.0c
    [/SIZE]

6. freeyourmind775

freeyourmind775 Member

K. I'll try that.

7. freeyourmind775

freeyourmind775 Member

Still getting error and bluescreen -_-'

8. Caelo

Caelo Member

9. thaile

thaile Member

please write down and post what the error msg is would really help too. I remember one time I had a problem like that too. The error was something like Directx something ... out of memeory and I would crash every other game, and have to reboot to join another game. The problem turned out to be another program I had installed using the memory and not releasing it or something. Anyway I reinstalled my OS and empires worked fine since then.

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

simpy reinstalling directx should work too
    download the full directX 9.0c install and execute it as followed: msiexec.exe /fa "c:\<path to directx file>\<name of directx file>.msi"

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Are you on your latest video drivers?

12. PintSki

PintSki Member

well , guess i'm not the only one then, get the bsod's too, and no probs with other steam/hl2 games, the latest vga-driver didn't do it , sending the mdmp-files to the bug email thingy :p

edit: -the bsod error is 0x000000000 etc, no device mentionned or such, very helpfull indeed that microsoft stuff!
    -once got it ingame, but 99% of the time it happens during mapswitch

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  13. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

....We need to make a rule that if you post in here about a problem, that you must post your system specs. By not posting your specs you're just wasting time, because we have to ask what the specs are, then then wait for you to reply.

14. PintSki

PintSki Member

those would go in the mail i sent OH WAIT:
    This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

bugs@emipresmod.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    PERM_FAILURE: DNS Error: Domain name not found
    RIIIIIGHT i couldn't send.....

i don't expect such a problem getting fixed in this forum, but rather through that mail to the guys who make the mod, not from some random posts stating the obvious like upgrading the drivers etc etc, all that has been tried already

15. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You're posting in the tech support forum about it - then you're going to be asking for forum members to help you - esp since Krenzo is rather busy right now.

Again, system specs.

16. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Have you checked your virtual memory?

RAM is important, but having enough of your hard drive allocated to virtual memory is also important. If your system is trying to send you a virtual memory message and trying to minimize empires at the same time, it could cause a fatal error/overload and a blue screen crash.

Just remember windows loves their pop up warnings, and if one of them is trying to tell you something, and minimize empires while it is loading a new map, it may be enough to crash your computer. Especially if it's during the more memory intensive parts of loading the game, which is when the server is loading the environment.

Just in case: Virtual memory is using your hard drive to help your physical memory (RAM) when it overloads. Without it, you would pretty much have a really slow machine, even with 2 gigs of RAM.

I can't remember how to check it with windows XP, and have no idea about vista. But make sure you have plenty of hard drive space, and that you aren't overloading your memory. There is a way to allocate more Hard Disk space to VR, but I can't remember how.

17. PintSki

PintSki Member

nope, virual memory is 1.5 times ram as recommended , and before running emp, i kill all unnecessary apps en services (not that that makes any difference because i have the crash with or without doing that), BUT , it looks like the mail got through this time, so i'm hoping the dump-files tell the dev's something, because the error message from windows itself is completely useless)

edit:
    just remebered, had one this morning ingame, stating ks.sys was the cause, a little googling mentionned possible directx issues??

and for the systemspecs: xp2100+ , 1024ram 1.5 times that in vm , xp home, directX 9.0c (no probs mentionned in dxdiag), 6600Gt-128mb, terratec 400-series tv-card, and an onboard ethernetcard (which died after one of those crashes),antec 550w psu less then 2 years old, about the only progs left running when ingame are comodo firewall, avast antivirus, an usb-driven headset and modem (modem can't be the cause, had it with an ethernet modem too)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

also, if you haven't, you can try disabling all of Xp's special features by right clicking on the my computer icon, going to advanced tab and clicking performance and unchecking all of those boxes.

I'll bet you have already though if you know how much vm you have.

I used to have a problem with my graphics card not keeping up with the drivers, or vice versa with the original half life games, but i'm not sure what that was. but it crashed HL games every few games I played. If you are disabling everything else, you may be alright disabling anti virus and possibly firewall while the game is running. I don't know much about anti virus protection and firewalls, but I know I hate them because they always make me minimize the game to say that I do in fact want HL2.exe etc to be able to access the internet and that it is in fact not a threat to my system....

20. PintSki

PintSki Member

when i go ingame; the shell is disabled, all non essential services and programs are disabled, antivirus is in part disabled, firewall is the last thing i'd disable ever, memory gets defragmented , wallpaper gets disabled, so in brief the system is set to as minimalistic as it can, AND NO thats not the reason either, cause it still happens if i dont shut it all down. must say it's been a few days since i got it, still thinking what i changed these last days, though only an upgrade to the firewall (comodo) comes to mind.