Crash on Map change.

Discussion in 'Closed bugs' started by Awrethien, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Got this error when switching maps. Its not every time but will pop up randomly.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I have had that recently as well but shrugged it off.

3. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Might help to post your system specs, specifically RAM and Video RAM

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It happens occasionally. As far as I know it's just a source bug.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I had it maybe twice in the past 2 months

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

That's an engine thing that has to deal with your computer. For example, on my laptop it isn't particularly uncommon for Empires to crash for a variety of reasons. But on my desktop, Empires runs just fine for the most part.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This happens a lot recently, but never before.
    I am not sure if this means anything.

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

Symtomphs of empires engine aging. It refuses to evolve and starts to rust. Quickly inject more patches!

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Does this still happen in 2.41?

I dont think this can be fixed without access to the engine (which we dont have), can a coder comment?

10. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

A quick search on google reveals that this sometimes also happens with TF2 and Neotokyo. My bet is that it's an out-of-memory error when trying to load a map, as the map files (BSP files) are divided into lumps: http://www.bagthorpe.org/bob/cofrdrbob/bspformat.html. Increase system memory or your heap size I guess, not much else you can do about these kinds of errors

11. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I thought OB engine handles Heapsize automatically and thus the heapsize launch parameter is always ignored.

How to increase Heapsize?? (I didn't see that bug since 2011, I'm just curious)

12. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I dont know if it handles heapsize automatically or not (I havnt seen much mention of it in years so you could be right)

Heapsize used to be changed by typing: '-heapsize 512000' without the quotes into the games launch options (right click on the game in steam, click properties then click select launch options). Note that I put 512000 as an example there, thats the size in kilobytes that you want the heapsize to be, old wisdom suggested not making it bigger than half your installed ram and also not above some other figure (maybe 3/4s of a gb).

Moving this thread to the closed bugs section since there doesnt seem to be anything that can be done on the empires side to fix it

13. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

I dont know why I am responding to old threads... but I had this issue before.

It would crash on every map change - but only on certain servers. Then I realised it was the MOTD. For some reason, updating Java fixed it for me (I think Java support was removed at some point - so not sure why this should make a difference).

I'm not saying this is the cause of the problem... just saying that crashes on map change may point to problems with the in-game browser because of the MOTD.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I can second this post as the MOTD made me crash on a few TF2 and CSS servers.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Internet Download Manager used to cause it for me. Some interaction with Java on the MOTD. Jephir used to have the same issue.

16. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Yeah, some Internet Explorer plugins, such as IDM, can cause issues with the MOTD. Try disabling your IE plugins to see if it solves the problem.