Couple of ideas I been sitting on for a while!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Maoo, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Maoo

Maoo Member

Hi guys im new to the forum, but been a long time viewer of the forum, and played the mod for over a year now.

Recently i have seen a few good ideas in here and decided to add my 2 cents.

Idea 1

Turrets should be duel control, by this i mean the AI controlls the turret by default, but also have an option for a player to hop on board to control the thing.

Now there whould be advantages and disadvantages to both methods of control.

When the AI is controlling the turret the accuracy would be reduced and the range reduced, but the turret would need to be destroyed to deactivate it.

When a player is controlling the turret the accuracy would be significantly improved, as well as the range increasing, but the player would be prone to attack without much in the way of defence, also if a player is killed when controling a turret, the turret will go into standby mode whereby it will deactivate for 30 seconds as a penelty sorta thing.

The above option in my opinion would server to balance matches, tank rushes would be less of an issue when you have one well placed turret to cover a wide arc of the battle field, which is manned by a good player who could wreak havoc to the attacking forces (of course a sniper or well placed shell could pwn him easy enough), also in matches where one side is dominating, a comm can build up a few lvl1 turrets which the team will man and hold off the enmey long enough for the comm to come up with a plan of action (of course if they rely on this too long the enemy will roll out arty and hasta la pasta)

Idea 2

Turrets have an ammo counter!

As above turrets will be built with a predefined limit of ammo, so say mg turrets are built with 500 rounds of ammo and ml are built with 50 missiles.

The team would be responsible for refilling the ammo of the turrets by using their engineers on the turret (some form of indicator would be needed to show ammo levels when refilling).

Another idea ontop of this would be to allow the comm to refill the turret but at the equivalent cost of a new turret in resources.

Also some form of visual ammo level meter would be need to be added to the turret, my take on this would be a ! mark above the turret (just like on Counter strike radio commands lol) which is visible only by the team the turret belongs to, the mark will be green when the turret has more than 60% ammo, it will turn yellow when there is 60% or less ammo and turn red once ammo is at 30% or below.

With this above option turret farming would soon come under control, also players are less likely to neglect thier defences as often as they do at present.

When anti air turrets come into play (or if you modify the ml to be duel role) this option would also be applied to the new turrets to help balance out the game.

Idea 3

My third and final idea for today is;

Reuce the size of the NF vehicles and buildings, at present the NF rolling stock and buildings are just too damn large, on most maps the BE can spot NF buildings from the other side of the map lol (not to mention walls are pretty damn useless since they don't cover the whole of the buildings like they do for the BE buildings), and the massive size of the vehicles makes it harder to manouver compared to the BE, im not saying to do anything drastic such as redesign them, but scale them down to about a 1/3rd smaller than they currently are would be sufficient (imo this is one reason people BE stack, they don't like the bigger NF vehicles for battle).

I hope some of these ideas are considered by the dev team and look forward to hearing what the rest of the community thinks of the above ideas.

Sorry about the double post, it asked me to login after i posted so i assumed it never posted :S, can a mod pls delete the other post thank you.

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I agree that the buildings are huge, but i'm not sure about the other stuff. IMO people should be stacking NF for the vehicles, have you ever driven an Lt? the thing's tiny. It's really only the NF barracks which are too big

Idea 1
    - Go gren or rifleman, already you're superior to a human controlled turret

Idea 2
    - Already proposed, I don't think it's going to happen

3. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

I only agree with idea 3. My suggestion for the turrets is a tutorial to learn how to kaboom them.

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

refueling turrets is tedious and takes away from the real battle, if the turrets would automaticly refuel, like lets say when they're out of ammo it takes a turret 5 to 10 seconds to refuel itself, that would be a great suggestion imo.
    Or instead of saying it has ammo, it could overheat after firing constantly, where it can take up-to 50-75 heat points, and every bullet costs around 1 heat point, missiles would then cost about the same as their tank equivalent.

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

can someone just please explain to me what is overpowered or overused about current turrets?

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

They are perfectly accurate and can shoot from so far away that many times you can't even see them. And short of killing them or conc'ing them (which isn't very effective) they will fire forever.

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

If only they would have a tracking delay.. meaning it will take time to track youd own and if you suddenly change course to the oppisite way it will take time for the turret to "notice"

anyway Idea1 and 2 have both been suggested before (old forums?)
    Idea 3: Only the NF rax is too big the other buildings and vehicles are fine..
    (they must have been drunk while trying to sketch some building plans for the NF Rax)

8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I like the tracking delay thing because my idea is similar to it. I would change the turning speed of the turrets not the delay while tracking. So the turrets couldn't turn as fast as they do now when they are firing. Now you just can't get pass them while they are all the time pointing directly at you.

I also like idea 1 but I wouldn't make the penalty THAT big. Actually it is HUGE you could actually do almost one research in that time. I would change the time to 3-5 seconds.

And because of slower turning speed of the turrets, the accuracy of the turrets wouldn't need to be so bad anymore. Just roll your tank back and fort and the turret has hard time to turn its guns towards you and try to do a accurate shot or few of them.

About the idea 2, I don't like it. It is so boring to run around after turrets which need refilling on big maps and especially then when you are under attack and wupsi daisy all of your front line turrets run out of ammunation and you have to desperately try to refill them all to prevent the enemy get in your base if it hasn't already.

And I find only the NF barracks too big, in height. Make it bit flatter and we're good.

9. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

I like the tracking delay and overheating ideas but it's all more work for the devs and there are more important things for them to be concentrating on atm imo (6 words - 3 letters: the magic of acronyms :D)

10. Caelo

Caelo Member

well in one of the releases the turrets appeared to have a sort of tracking delay or at least something that had that effect..
    I only noticed it when it got removed though...

11. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

im all down for over heating and/or hacking to disable them