Controllable vehicals

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Spinning out is more annoying then balancing. If drifting is impossible then allow vehicals to roll. Make it dangerous to turn at high speeds not annoying.

Really. I can see no reason to keep this. If tanks are to powerful without it then slow them down. I'd rather have slow mediums then spinning ones.

2. Spooky

Spooky Member

if vehicles could roll, do you know how many emp_recruits would lose there BE heavy with a 3phase on it?

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Also if spinning is annoying, how the hell is rolling going to be less annoying?

4. Empty

Empty Member

I'm pretty sure the devs are working on the vehicles movement scripts for 2.2

5. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Because you know when the vehical is tipping, and you can straiten out to stop the roll. The spin you have no control till its done.

6. o_O

o_O Member

You can still flip tanks with some help from a hill or a 3 phase light. Tanking is unforgiving enough without barrel rolling the thing just because you held A for more then half a second in a 3 phase tank. Also makes having the scout speed upgrade a liability...

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I'd just rather not spin.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

you are supposed to loosen the throttle in corners, that prevents spinning...

i can drive a jeep with 3phase and not spin unless i need to brake really fast.
    If you desire it i could teach you.

9. Empty

Empty Member

Note my title. /drop hint

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

What do you think we've been trying to do for so long? We've been busy with vehicle movement control for a very long time, you can't blame us for having to use VALVe's script system.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you want to replace spinning out with tipping over.

this thread is dumb.

12. Zealoth

Zealoth Member

true ;D

i can prevent my vehicle on flat and slight slopes and im good driver, but harder slopes are mystery to me.whatever i do, 3ph vehicle almost everytime spins for me :D

13. John Shandy`

John Shandy` Member

Do you want a cookie? Vess is merely expressing his opinion through the form of a suggestion (not a demand, a "suggestion"), and you're here to flaunt your tester position? That's unbecoming of a respected member of the Empires community. You should know better than to act like that.

That said, I don't particularly agree with Vess that it needs to be changed, because I just reduce my speed and make turns carefully. Sometimes it can be fun to spin out though and slam side-ways into enemies in a circular motion, or slam into an enemy vehicle. I'm sure we've all seen at least one spin-out flip an enemy vehicle.

Nobody in this thread is attacking you Solokiller, much less "blaming" you for having to use Valve's script system. Not sure why you're so eager to take a defensive stance. After all, this is a "Suggestions" forum, not a "Complaints" forum.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Vessboy was acting like we weren't doing anything but balance the infantry weapons, in reality we've been working on just about everything.

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I've not seen the proposed change log for the new patch. Although I am greatly pleased that this is an objective.
    And I've always loved a good weapon balance. I am very eager to play this new release. When it is ready of course.

Now for those who say I wanted to replace spinning with flipping?
    not true. I just want spinning gone.
    But now with whats been shared. the topic has no point. lets close it.

16. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I do agree with Vess. The problem isn't spinning out as much as you don't really know how close your are to spinning out. I've done it using standard engine right out of the VF. At least with some type of 'tipping' system you can tell how close you are to flipping yourself.

17. Demented

Demented Member

It's pretty easy to figure out how close you are to spinning out:

Do you have any engine but plain and are pressing forward while turning?
    You are close to spinning out.

Are you travelling downhill or have recently come off of an incline, such as the ramp of a Vehicle Factory?
    You are close to spinning out.

Tada.

The most annoying thing about spinning is that its behavior suggests that it's a feature that's been coded in. When you start spinning, your wheels no longer work and you have no control over the vehicle, which is quickly regained once the spin is over.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Don't you brush that broom against my beloved valve! i have stocks on those guys! :o

and as you say its coded in:

i had a similar experience with my vehicles in hammer (brush based), changing the distance between the wheels (increasing the distance between the wheels) fixed it, maybe the empires team just has it accidentally coded to 5 inches or something ^^

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Vehicles in hammer and scripted vehicles are different. Scripted vehicles have fewer options as far as I know.

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Hammer vehicles use preplaced paths to determine some movement systems, the vehicles Empires uses are completely dynamic in movement. The wheels are set in the model afaik, the vehicle mass can be changed by script iirc.