console notification for laying ninth mine

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Dec 9, 2010.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

When a player drops a 9th mine such that their first explodes ("nine-mining"), the action will print out to console with the player's name, team, and coordinate (alpha-numeric).

This will greatly assist in assessing griefing instances from 9-mining especially because it is incredibly difficult to find direct witnesses or be recording demos and, generally, the offender is the one who deploys the mines.

2. Deletejohnson

Deletejohnson Banned

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Are you talking about server console, the person who laid the mine's console, or everyone on his team's console?

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Can't just make it not have any force on friendly tanks?

5. complete_

complete_ lamer

woah cool the guy who jeeps his com into the water gets away free but the guy who sets up and detonates a 9mine in his base gets banned.
    totsally awesome

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Kinda obvious who puts his own com in water with a jeep.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

i never make it obvious

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I LOLed

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Then you can't mine your CV out of the water/being stuck. It's easier to deal with griefers than decide whether a CV should be ungriefed or not.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

There is far more ways to get away with 9 mine griefing then sinking a comm. I say 9 mine griefing(chopper guys) far out weigh the rare chance that people will use it to un grief a cv which servers admins already have an un grief plug-in(or restart the map) for sunken cvs. 9 mining friendly tanks to places they shouldn't be able to get to, 9 mining tanks coming out of the VFs, ect. You can easily see and punish someone who sinks a comm but its near impossible to find out who's doing these 9 mines griefs.

Sorry but I think its retarded that the only reason you won't stop people from griefing is because once every blue moon you can use to get it out of the water and by then the other team already has gotten an upper hand.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yeh right and if you use ungrief you earn nothing but bitching. im with trickster on this, its easier to deal with griefers (which got rare anyway compared to chopper times), then to ungrief without drama-generation. if it wouldnt be drama-pires i might agree with you though dubee ....

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

9 mining has many functions that lead to exploits and griefs. Where as the only defense to keep it from being able to do that is to un sink a CV which means your gonna lose anyway.

People who sink cvs will be caught and banned. You can't do that with 9 mine griefs or exploits. I don't understand how you guys can disagree. Using 9 mines to un-sink a comm prolly happens once every thousand matches.

13. flasche

thats why this suggestion would be helpful, print user and position to everyones console, should be easy to sort out then ...

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

That will probably take more time to code while also spamming the console when you can just use my simple change.

15. flasche

idk about the time to code, thats pure speculation from you. and console spam is absolute bs since its one single line and what does console spam bother you anyway, the average user doenst need the console at all ...
    you are constructing problems just to have it your way ...

16. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

A server event that can be handled by some plugin, maybe. But a console message is rather useless. Remember, the console if for development, normal user should not ever have to see or use it.

17. flasche

imo a simple line in the console that states id, name and position would be good since you can just copypaste the name to ban a person. what gain would an event get you?

18. OuNin

OuNin Member

also for people 9-mining vehicles where they shouldn't be, which is what i was primarily thinking about when i wrote this.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

You think they should really waste time coding that in? I am seriously in awe that just stopping it from causing force to friendly tanks is looked at as such a bad idea. It would completely stop people from 9 mine griefing and exploits and the only con is a rare occurrence that won't let you mine CV out of the water?

You already have lost the game if the cv is in the because of the time it would take to keep it alive and blast it out.

20. Demented

Demented Member

Let's code this in after we stop "Too many popups. Rendering will be bad!" from spamming 30 times a second.