Configuring Hammer for Empiresmod Post-Steampipe

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

I haven't got Moderator rights so I can't adjust the first post, but here is how to install and configure Hammer for Empires 2.5:

Setting up Hammer for Empires 2.5

First of all I can confirm that no additional sdk installations are required. Unless you need them for other games/mods, can you safely uninstall Source SDK, Source SDK Base 2007 (required for old Empires) and Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer (required for testing the new version). Everything is now in the Empires folder.

Hammer should simply be opened from Hammer.exe in the Empires\bin\ folder. However trying to open any of the predefined configurations in Hammer (Empires 2013, HL2, ...etc) won't work since they're still set to use the "Source SDK Base" folders which were deleted from or have never been on your hard drive.

So:

1) Open your steam folder and go to "SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\" and open GameConfig.txt. Replace the Empires configuration with this: (I removed the other 3 as I only use it for Empires, so my example below is actually my entire file)

Code:
    "Configs"
    {
    	"Games"
    	{
    		"Empires 2013"
    		{
    			"GameDir"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\Empires"
    			"Hammer"
    			{
    				"GameData0"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\base.fgd"
    				"GameData1"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\halflife2.fgd"
    				"GameData2"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\hl2mp.fgd"
    				"GameData3"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\empires\empires.fgd"
    				"TextureFormat"		"5"
    				"MapFormat"		"4"
    				"DefaultTextureScale"		"0.320000"
    				"DefaultLightmapScale"		"256"
    				"GameExe"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\EmpiresLauncher.exe"
    				"DefaultSolidEntity"		"func_detail"
    				"DefaultPointEntity"		"emp_info_map_overview"
    				"BSP"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\vbsp.exe"
    				"Vis"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\vvis.exe"
    				"Light"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\bin\vrad.exe"
    				"GameExeDir"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires"
    				"MapDir"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\Empires\mapsrc"
    				"BSPDir"		"D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Empires\empires\maps"
    				"CordonTexture"		"tools/toolsskybox"
    				"MaterialExcludeCount"		"0"
    			}
    		}
    	}
    	"SDKVersion"		"5"
    }

2) Make a desktop shortcut from Hammer.exe so you can easily access it

That's it, everything should work with one exception: I have yet to figure out how to have the map compiler open the game automatically after compilation is complete. I won't be looking into this cause I always start the game manually anyway.

Let me know if this works !!

2. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

If you are having mapping issues after 2.70 release, try this, the old fashion way of doing it.
    Find your "Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer" folder inside the Steam/steamapps/common folder.
    in the "Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer" folder, open the "bin" folder.

Find GameConfig.txt file, and at the bottom of the Games{ ... }, inside the closing curly bracket,
    insert the following code assuming your install is in C: drive.
    Code:
    "DocPires"
            {
                "GameDir"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\empires"
                "Hammer"
                {
                    "GameData0"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\empires.fgd"
                    "GameData1"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\base.fgd"
                    "GameData2"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\halflife2.fgd"
                    "GameData3"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\hl2mp.fgd"
                    "TextureFormat"        "5"
                    "MapFormat"        "4"
                    "DefaultTextureScale"        "1.000000"
                    "DefaultLightmapScale"        "32"
                    "GameExe"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\hl2.exe"
                    "DefaultSolidEntity"        "func_detail"
                    "DefaultPointEntity"        "emp_info_params"
                    "BSP"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vbsp.exe"
                    "Vis"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vvis.exe"
                    "Light"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\bin\vrad.exe"
                    "GameExeDir"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires"
                    "MapDir"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\mapsrc"
                    "BSPDir"        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\maps"
                    "CordonTexture"        "BLACK"
                    "MaterialExcludeCount"        "0"
                }
            }

3. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Then just run the Hammer.exe from within the same folder.

4. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

Tools should now be working again in 2.7. I test compiled a map and received no errors. Reply here if there are any issues.

5. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yep, it's working again.