Comp is f'd again :/

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fooshi, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

My eVGA board (x58) allows me to drop it in anywhere. My older eVGA 680i however did not. Some go this route, some don't. All depends on the memory controller, I think.

2. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

3. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

huerr duerr necro

I'm so tired of this shitty and laggy laptop, so I decided to give it another try.
    I dl'd memtest and put it on my usb flash drive and it's currently running.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6175221/Pictures/memtest.JPG

What I got so far. It says "Pass complete", but it is ready for use? I'm not going to exit it without an answer. (Even if I'll have to wait for tomorrow)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Looks like it's OK, when I ran it the errors were immediately obvious.

If you run it for a couple of hours and it doesn't show errors you probably don't have any.

5. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Ok, so, with that clear, what other things can cause windows to not start up?

*EDIT*

I waited for it to say 3 passes as said and exited it. I tried starting it up, but it is still the same.
    I'm now trying to re-install Vista with the recovery image I burnt at first, for the second time. :|

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

I've seen it take hours to show a memory error. Like I said, 3 full passes at least. I usually say start it up, and go to bed. Check it in the morning...

As for what else: Video might cause it...I'd say pull the videocard and remote in, but if it's a laptop, I doubt you can.

Otherwise, bad mobo, bad CPU...though those usually show up at POST. Try running WinPE. If WinPE can run, then it's a bad windows install. Breath some life into the hardware and put 7 on it...7 runs beautifully on older hardware.

As for the rather silly XBox joke...throw all the shit you like at XBox, but for only being in it's second generation, and very late to a game that Nintendo and Sony were dominating, the fact that the XBox is thrashing the PS3 sales wise...and recently has been outselling the Wii...is a pretty fucking amazing accomplishment, especially given the RROD issue.

And before someone cries about me not having a source: NPD released these results. And these results are BEFORE Reach came out...Reach if anything has driven console sales up.
    http://www.techspot.com/news/40236-npd-xbox-360-maintains-its-sales-lead-in-august.html

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010