Community Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Goose, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goose

Goose Member

Before you moderators move this post please let me explain myself. I wished to get a list of suggestions from the testers to be added to a larger list so that we can ship that off to Krenzo to show him what we want in Empires for the new year. I also wanted to put it in here, as opposed to suggestions, just in case talks about the beta services in this thread. These are suggestions I pulled from the boards and I saw as key features needed to empires. I take no credit for most of these suggestions, but here they are. Please feel free to add to the list.

Commander Request Function
    Ability to request radars and or vehicles from the commander so he can zoom up on them.

Decline Commander Position

The ability to select a box or two on the commander voting screen to either say you want to be a commander, or that you don’t want to be a commander and remove you from the list. This way people who vote someone who doesn’t want to comm to comm..

Label Engineer Buildings
    When Engineers place an wall, radar, etc, their name should be posted above or with the item. That way, you can tell who the griefer is who walled off your VF or put down a radar on the Res Node. Or if you just want to know who put down a wall or turret accidentally blocking the area.

Spectators
    Maybe making a server cvar that allows the server admins to control if spectator speak can be seen by all, or just by other spectators.

Level 3 turrets on Infantry Maps

The following maps should not have the ability to have level 3 turrets, Glycen City, District, and Urban Chaos. Since apcs/lights can only have the smallest amounts of armor I feel that level 3 turrets are total overkill. Many games turn into boring stalemates of turret wars, and with the range of level 3’s its sometimes hard to even nade spam the turrets.

Mark the double res flow nodes appropriately in-game

Basically just put a level 2x on the mini map where the resource nodes that give double resources are.

Vote kick the squad leader

Some ability that if over ½ the squad wants the squad leader gone he can be kicked. I don’t know how many times I disconnect or accidentally leave (covered later) to have some noob in charge of the squad with over 80 points. We ask him to leave so we can squad revive but to no avail he does nothing. So can we put something in there to kick a squad commander. Also put some sort of kick immunity in if a vote has been started to prevent the squad leader from kicking people during the vote.

Engineer Recycle Ability
    Give the engineer the ability to remove deconstruct turrets/radars. Yes, you can switch classes in the barracks and poof everything is gone. What about the times you have 1 turret in a nice location and the other turret you want someplace else. Or you advanced far up and put a camera down only to be pushed back to the point where that camera can’t help you.

Enemy walls do not stop you from building in the area

it's both stupid, annoying and doesn't help gameplay when spamming walls over an area stops your enemy using it. it's also irritating to have to force your team to decon every little bit of nearby wall if you want to place a ref.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I think instead of a "commander request function" there should just be a simple comm menu order that lights you up for the commander (spacebar jump to alert).

It could even be used with "area secure" which is already in the comm menu (f)
    So whenever infantry says "area secure" they start blinking white on the minimap and the commander gets an alert.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

good list, definately things that should be in the next release.

4. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I agree with most of that, except maybe the restriction of lvl3 turrets. That seems to be more a matter of opinion (as I personally don't find them that much a problem).

I do have a suggeston to add though (it sort of goes along with labeling the engineers buildings):

"Build this unit" command:
    When the commander highlights a building for a player it's always "guard this unit", he should be able to tell them to "build this unit" as well. Maybe the command would automatically become "build this unit" if the unit is unbuilt. This is a minor tweak of no real urgency, but it's always been something that kind of bothers me.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you can already recycle engineer built walls.

build this unit is gunna be troublesome because it's megels g/f doing to voice and she's not gunna want to do every little suggestion we come up with, even if that one is a bloody useful one.

6. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

dizzyone: it starts blinking but commander doesn't get any alert.

Spectators: their team say is always visible only to spectators. You want to make their normal say visible only to spectators by cvar, right?

Level 3 on some maps: We should alllow all research except medium, heavy and artillery tank.

Vote kick squad leader: NO, he's the leader and you joined his squad. They are HIS points not yours.

Label engineer buildings: maybe a console command that would show the owner?

Fish: comm can already recycle everything.

7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

@mootant: except that sometimes (often) you have a noob leader that doesn't use skill points and only joined for the free unlock that he no longer needs.

Move "Exit Squad" from S to W in F-Menu

time and time again, i hear people complaining because they left their squad by pressing S twice and instantly leaving the squad. and who can blame them? often the F-menu will lag in coming up, and hitting the S key twice to get it to work is often done. so move "exit squad" to the W so to remove this irritating thing.

8. Goose

Goose Member

9. Goose

Goose Member

Or whenever I try to kick players from my squad for not participating, I often click the leave squad button because its the first one. Maybe move that in a far corner or something.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I know that, I was under the impression this was a suggestion thread. :p

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

oh a VERY important one that i almost missed:

Enemy walls do not stop you from building in the area

it's both stupid, annoying and doesn't help gameplay when spamming walls over an area stops your enemy using it. it's also irritating to have to force your team to decon every little bit of nearby wall if you want to place a ref.

see this:

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=101149&highlight=walls+build#post101149

12. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

... the class grenadier and the weapon rpg come to mind to solve this one
    (change class to gren and start rocket sniping)

otherwise good list

13. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

[​IMG]
    (Click for enlargshens)

How could even loads of grenadiers kill these turrets (also keep in mind the enemy firepower aswell)

14. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Scout sab combined with a lot of squad arty combined with nade spam & a level 3 ML?

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

nadespam is best for that.

BUT

just because you CAN kill the turrets, doesn't make the game fun. I think that its very very un fun to fight that.

16. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

An option to change who the squad leader is, either by vote, or through the GUI would be great.

17. Chahk

Chahk Member

That's not always the case though. Many times the SL quits the game and the next in line n00b doesn't know what squad leader powers are, not to mention how to use them.

I beg to differ. Create a squad by yourself and see how many points you can earn without any other squad members. The points are earned via teamwork between all squad members and therefore "belong" to the entire squad, not to any one individual.

18. Avair

Avair Member

i can definantly see noobs griefing by joining other squads, kicking the sl and then wasting all the points

19. Chahk

Chahk Member

Well, the idea is to kick only at 50%+ of squadmate votes. You'd need 3 griefers working together to pull that off, and who are we to discourage teamwork :p

20. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Spectators
    Yes this makes good sense, ghosting is inevitable and can be irritating at times.
    Level 3 turrets on Infantry Maps
    Yes please limit. They only encourage nade spam and stalemates.

Vote kick the squad leader
    Sounds like a great idea. The squad points are not his, they are the teams. Also someone mentioned sqaud leader able to kick people out of the squad, yes definitely. This would be great as its so annoying when 2 people in the squad actually listen and fallow the squad leader and the other 2 are off on the other side of the map.

What also would be nice is some kind of warning for when flags are being captured. I dunno how many times I've been at or near a flag and see it turn white and its like wtf.

Also could cameras be able to spot SOME hidden scout movement. Its disturbing to have a scout go between buildings and not be able to find them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.