Comms and Scouts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by vipervicki, Sep 9, 2016.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

So you are okay with multiple newbie scouts on your team as long as they are in squads..hmm interesting, most don't see it that way from the complaints I have heard.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I think it's more that the scouts misinterpret their role. Many new players see them as sniper, and so do that. Or draw parallels to tf2 scout, or the cs:go scout rifle? As a new player, it would make a lot of sense that scout functions similarly to what they're used to.

A rename to saboteur/spy/sapper/infiltrator/disrupter would better describe their desired role

As that is how veterans use scout. To disrupt the enemy.

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I have no issues with newbies as long as they:
    - have read the Empires' Basics Manual
    - Listen to their Commander
    - Listen to their Squad Leader
    - Communicate
    - Teamplay
    - Can take advice/criticism

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I agree, that is exactly what new players use scout for, to snipe, which is not very helpful in empires most of the time.
    renaming the class sounds like a good idea to me. Saboteur would be a good name.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

How many newbies actually do all this? From my experience very few if any.

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

1 or 2%

7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

that's exactly why it is a problem. I do think VulcanStorm's suggestion is good and I still think scout should be not be available until they learn how to properly use it by playing a certain amount of hours and watching a short tutorial about the class and how it should be used in Empires. It has become an increasing problem with all the new players downloading Empires.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Or just make scout a viable class to play, whilst making it less frustrating.
    Off the top of my head, ideas
    • Remove infinite ability to sabotage, each sabotage uses a kit item, give say 10. Replenishable like any other ammo.
    • Fix hide and change it into a stamina bar type mechanic used is pretty much every other fps game with cloaking (just look at how much better scout hide is to use). Force holster of weapons whilst hidden to prevent it being OP to figh against (makes it purely positional)

I mean, everyone can e build. Scout can be as useful as any other class with some buffs in the right place.
    Just make it so every class can build and only engineer can repair or something.
    Seems a really backwards way to think about it that New players want to play a sniper class - so lets lock it for them?! It's just going to turn people off.

There is an underlying issue which should be fixed.
    In a multiplayer game there shouldn't even be a class where you want maybe 2 out of a possible 32 players.
    Change the name, change the skills, make it more rounded, fix hide so it is a proper mechanic, etc, etc.
    I don't think there are any quick fixes, scout is a rubbish class & it will probably take a lot of code /model support to fix.

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I think you have trouble differentiating between cause and consequence. The cause of the problem is not people being scouts, that's the consequence. The cause of the problem is people being idiots.
    AND THAT CANNOT BE FIXED!

10. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

LOl..X ..point taken