Commanding video commands attention.

Discussion in 'General' started by Pollo Jack, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Pollo Jack

Pollo Jack Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfGM7rSYleM

Comment rate etc. It came out almost as good as I would like. You tube has a length limitation, so I had to cut out the start of the match.

Tips are appreciated, hopefully some less secure comms can learn from me.

This was also a wonderful test for fraps and adobe CS5.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

General command should be shown, from start of match to finish, then you take out unnecessary parts. Sorry to tell you this it has to be redone, because a noob will just see you doing things and not understand. Its not to piss you off, you are a pretty cool guy, but you are going to have to rehearse a demonstration video, not improvise in a real match. A noob needs extra help in the first half of a match more then the second half that is shown here. the second half consist of researching the luxury weapons and giving targets, first is creating bases and starting on research.

3. Pollo Jack

Pollo Jack Member

thank you

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I used to think you were banned unjustly, but recently I've been thinking that the ban was not long enough.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Video did not teach me anything.
    I'd really like to see some research strats for BE and NF.
    I'm absolutely terrible at research, everything else is fine.

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

R U SRS?

7. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I have no fucking idea what to get or in what order.
    I'm also always late on my radar too.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

3 directions - physics, chemistry, and electric. If you go chemistry always go to physics or electric to get an armor. but get respective weapons in those trees and the engines.

9. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Learning video? Not really. For new players too confusing and for average and experienced players nothing special.
    But I still like this video, because it shows the typical gameplay for the commander. Also the video quality is very good. How did you done the recording?

10. Pollo Jack

Pollo Jack Member

Fraps and Adobe CS5.

In adobe on the export part I set max depth, two scans over the raw data, and uped the target bit rate and max bit rate to 7 and 9. I also set it to h.264 you tube format 1024x768 (think thats right).

I can always make a prequel and test out a higher bitrate or quality since this video in its quality came out to only 500 mb.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The best learning tool is to just show that commanding can be fun. Nobody here knows shit about commanding, certainly not enough to teach others. The most instructional videos will simply get people interested in commanding, as they will try it themselves and learn. I think this video accomplished that pretty well.

12. Phantom

Phantom Member

1. Good video, Not particularly 'instructional' per say, but as SIP said, shows gameplay very nicely (and that godamned placement glitch ... stupid turrets). Quality is great and somehow the background soundtrack wasn't overbearing at all.

2. If you're serious about helping out newbies, and since you have the appropriate tools to do so, you should do some vids of general gameplay (outside of the comm vehicle). Maybe showcase each of the weapons/skills for infantry classes or different vehicles and vehicle tech in short sub 2 minute clips compiled together. It always helps to have videos on the mod to try and pull in new players.

3. Instruction videos (properly done ones anyway) would be extremely welcome and should help player retention rates and overall pub gameplay. As was said though, these should involve step by step instructions in a simulation environment, not actual gameplay. So get a couple of people together and prescript the beginning of a game and the rough steps (research options, ref/rax/armoury/turret drops etc.).

4. WHO, THE, FUCK, ARE, YOU, EMPTY. I know who you are in terms of the forums/community, but WTF IS YOUR IN GAME ALIAS...sorry, it's been bugging me for a year since i've NEVER seen you play (at least not as 'Empty').

13. Pollo Jack

Pollo Jack Member

I like to listen to music while I play, but I have it adjusted so I can still hear people when they talk. Most people at least.

Instruction videos, I may just use the in video commentary bubbles that youtube has to showcase the abilities. I think that would be easier and just as informative.

For example, go rifleman with dig in. Show that it only works while crouched not prone so it is a poor choice for HMG users. Just have a bubble that points to my endu when I get shot.

Tech and placements are an easy thing. I can just show them being done and talk about why I did such or have the bubble explaining.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Or you could turn the volume down on the video until you get to the point where it will otherwise be inaudible, then put a commentary over it explaining what you were doing/how you were doing things.