Commanding the troops

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Apogee, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Apogee

Apogee Member

Something needs to be put into the game to allow for more effective written commands to be given. I fond most of hte time people jsut dont even notice that I'm screaming "Tank in the base! TANK IN THE BASE!".

A simple way to fix it would be to borrow an idea from the Firearms mod of HL1: Have an event to notify the commander just gave an order. In Firearms it was a voice shouting "Listen up!" everytime a commander gave an order. A similar feature would help a ton in Empires, even something as bolding the commander's text or colouring it differently.

Thoughts?

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Not sure about the sound, that could be a little too distracting.

Different colour def sounds good though.

3. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

How about screaming neon pink, or some other color combinations that will make you pass out at your computer? :-p

BF2 does it by saying "You have new orders from your commander" or whatever...its not annoying....but then again, I don't get spammed with messages every 5 seconds...so it probably WOULD get annoying in empires.

Possibly...get a mic and use VOIP? I find that does a LITTLE better...but people still don't listen when I scream "NINJA!"...

4. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Just make the commanders text a different colour. And come to think of it, it would be good to seperate the different teams as well.

5. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I'm sure NS won't mind if we do that. They have Aliens' text orange and the Marines' text blue so that you can see if someone's talking from the Alien side or the Marine side. Plus, in one of the newer patches the rine commander's text is now greenish so that people can tell its their comm shouting "FADE KILLING IP!!!".

6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I think making it distracting is the point.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

not to the point of compromising your current task. It should be attractive (positive), not distractive (negative).

8. ^Dee^

anything that grabs your attention is a distraction.

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

Distractive is to be unintentionally put off your game, rather than to be aware of the ninja.

Nothing worse than someone spamming the "TANK IN THE BASE TANK IN THE BASE" russian voice.

10. ^Dee^

What if you're intentionally being distractive? such as the proposed audial que.

It was not overly off-putting in firearms and to assume so in empires, in spite of it having yet to be tried, is simple conjecture.

11. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

We already have audio notices for buildings under attack, and orders. I don't think we need another one for every time the commander says something. A simple colour change would probably suffice. Or maybe a 'ping' function, like in Dawn of War?

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i say do it like distopia (and aperently ns), team chat is white, team chat from com is yellow, BE global chat is blue, NF global chat is red. also, have pings activate the building under attack, and let the com give minimap pings to the team, and squad leader to their squads.