Commanding aircraft

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by petemyster, Jan 12, 2008.

1. petemyster

petemyster Member

ok, when aircraft gets implimented I can imagine its gonna be very hard to select the aircraft as it speeds across the map doing barrel roles and loop the loops. So a simple suggestion to fix this is have a small green circle on the ground (for the commanders view) for friendles, and red for enemies. To send an order to aircraft you click on the circle. I even find it hard sometimes when im commander to mark enemy units for people cause when I click on the enemy, it sends a move order 1m to the SE of the enemy, so a nice friendly green circle would be very helpful :P

2. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Aircraft are far from done, suggesting anything now isn't very likely to end up being taken into account.

3. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Thus.. I don't really think that a ''free wallhack'' is needed to spot those big loud things?

4. petemyster

petemyster Member

but for a commander to try and select them when they flying about, the same way you would select a tank would be extremely hard as it would change in all directions (up, down, left, right, forward, backward, banking left, banking right).

Also solokiller, you bring sad sad news, your supposed to say they'll be there in time for the 23rd of January and they'll have "happy birthday petemyster" skins over the wings. Aww well.

5. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Click and drag

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

but say he flying over a area full of infantry?

7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

You could just use the unit slection control panel.

8. RaiKitsune

RaiKitsune Member

Ever played Total Annihilation? or TA:Spring? Just drag a box around it, I do that for everything anyway.

Alternatively we could implement some kind of "bullet time" mode where the game slows down so the commander has enough time to select units.

I do like the "circle on the ground" idea so its easier to spot your own units, but do not have them for the enemy, as it may unbalance the scouts hide ability among other things. Circles wont help aircraft, as they will be moving fast and the circle will be just as hard to click as the aircraft - actually, it would be harder as the ground directly below the aircraft would change elevation rapidly.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  9. petemyster

petemyster Member

hmmm good point. The thing about the unit selection panels is by the time you know who' flying/find thier name on the list they may have gone kamakasie on a jeep.

Also without the green circile, do you think you'd be able to spot the BE fighter zooming along the ground on this map?
    http://www.xperienced.net/grizzly/Maps/Trenches/emp_trench_alt10006.jpg

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Then hopefully the guy you're ordering is smart enough to notice the attack order which is flying around at high speed, as opposed to the cluster which aren't.

No, because you wouldn't get a fighter on that map, and whoever made it needs to work on their lighting.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  11. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Maybe flying radar plane?

12. petemyster

petemyster Member

going off topic slightly on that note, what maps are getting aircraft?

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

All 16X maps. 8X maps will be normal CV maps, but without extensive aircraft usage. I do recall this exact info being given not so long ago, so please search a bit.
    I do not know when aircraft are coming or how far in development they are, as it protects the forums against mass posting and general stupidity (accidentally revealing the release date, for example).

14. petemyster

petemyster Member

what!? the release date is in a month time!?! i better spread the word!!
    kthxsbai

Im just gonna trust the developers in the aircraft commander, when have they been wrong before? (should i forum seach that? :P )

15. Vaun

Vaun Member

I agree with Pete, i was trying to play a game, War Rock, it was a pain to keep up with aircraft, because i was in a helicopter (about as fast as the comm here) and the planes were going 2 or 3 times my speed, so immagine trying to drag over the aircraft before it flys away.

16. Vessboy

Vessboy Member