Commanders Consent

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Zairair, May 18, 2006.

1. Zairair

Zairair Member

I think there should be an alternative option to the vehicle restriction command.

This option will, if x'ed, will make it so that every vehicle to be bought not be built without the commander's okay. The commander will get notifications of what the vehical proposal is so that he/she can check if the weapons are bound, it has weapons, it has the right armor, etc.

This will reduce the amount of resources wasted per vehicle and it will give the commander an extra job once all the research is done.

Open to discussion.:o

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I was thinking of posting a idea like this, for pub play only.

Letting players request their own custom vehicle (from their own list) to the commander, all the commander has to do is check the request and press the build button, it will be in a different drop down list, when clicked he can see the name of who requested it, its weight and price ofcourse, and maybe even save it to his own list if he likes it.

Not only would this be a better way of restricting, this way every player can use his own customization while restriction is on, for pub play only.

3. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Good idea.

4. zachtos

zachtos Member

I like it... I proposed long ago about just allowing the commander to restrict the number of each chasis allowed in the field, but this is good too.

5. Chahk

Chahk Member

I think this borders micromanagement. What's next, commander's consent for throwing a grenade? :p

I understand that vehicles are important to resource management since they are very expensive, but spamming the commander's view with popups every time someone tries to create a tank is going too far. Commander can already manage vehicle creation by restricting and then making them by himself.

6. Revolver

Revolver Member

Personally, I think the commander should be able to restrict all chassis, or select specific ones. Seeing as there's only Jeeps, Half-tracks, light, medium, and heavy tanks, it wouldn't add clutter. There's been plenty of times when I was slamming my head against the desk because the team had the idea that buying lots of jeeps when we were low of resources was a great idea. It's a way to nudge your team into building... better things.

Course it could be abused. But the comm position entirely can be abused.

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

I like this idea. Instead of restricting vehicle creation completely, the comm can decide who gets one and who doesn't. Say there's a player who buys a lot of tanks, rushes, and always dies. He doesn't get a tank. If there is a player who is effective at using tanks, he gets one. This will also save the commander the job of equipping armor, weapons, and engines. Right now, when a commander makes a vehicle, it's fully loaded with everything, weapons in all slots, which drains resources. A player could better equip a tank to save money.

8. Zairair

Zairair Member

I never said there would be popups. Just add it to the UI. High res = veh okay, low res = no have to pay attention to requests..

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

weapons are really cheap Jn, like 10 or so credits a piece

10. Kanis

Kanis Member

I agree, Good idea to give comm Veto Power for Vehiclals

11. Jn.

Jn. Member

Oh I didn't know :D Well, that 10 bucks might mean victory or defeat in the recieving end of a head on enemy onslaught :) And with all the vehicles made, the 10 bucks will add up to thousands.

12. FalconX

FalconX Developer

That's why it's an option. Don't check it if you don't want to do it. :p

Per-player vehicle restrictions are planned.

13. FLH

FLH Member

But then why not just restrict the damned things and deploy them yourself as comm !!!!! Then, as is the way it should be, *you*, direct the focus of the teams efforts by giving them the kit they need to complete your will on the field ALA natural selection....

"take this HMG/HA and kill that ****ing fade...."

"take these 4 medium tanks and go PAST the turrets and rape the commander who has no protection or crisps"

14. Zairair

Zairair Member

Because regular infantry just stand around begging for unrestriction. In other words, some people want to drive tanks and some don't.

15. zachtos

zachtos Member

If you complain about micromanagement mixed with strategy, your playing the wrong game. What do you think an RTS is all about?

implementing authorization will allow the commander to control what vehicles roll on the field. I like this because I can't trust most players.

Examples:
    player requests a heavy tank w/ plain armor. VETO
    i often research regen armor early just to get a good armor fast, if they start using this late game, I can VETO it if I feel it's a bad combo.
    I like to drop tanks for players to save them time configuring, but they usually complain about how the weapons are bound, this would help immensely.

If repair pads allow us to change equipment in the future, this will also allow players to rebind weapons which is great for comms that drop tanks.

16. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

i dunno why, but sometimes my tank overides and puts all my weapons on one button - imagine the suprise when youve got basic weapons all over a BE heavy tank (this was when i had a n00b comm) and i fired a chaingun, 6 (!) cannons, and 3 rockets at a tank! has anyone else had this problem?