Commander turret upgrades

Discussion in 'Archive' started by FishThePirate, Sep 23, 2007.

1. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

This is sort of a minor issue, but it's something that has bothered me some.
    I was thinking about how frustrating it can be as commander to place a bunch of turrets, then research turret upgrades and have to recycle all your turrets in order to place the new ones. What if, after the commander researches the turret upgrades, it gives his engineers the option to upgrade the commander turrets up to the next level. It could work in the same way that an engineer upgrades his own turrets.
    Thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. SgtCiof

SgtCiof Member

Sounds like a good idea, but I would suggest having it cost some res.

3. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

maybe an idea would be to have to do that to all turrets?

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I thought turrets upgraded automatically already?

5. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

He meant pre built ones. If you didn't, AFAIK, they don't

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I don't like level 3 turrets building themselves, no thanks.

7. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Dizzy, he's suggesting that it works like engineer turrets. An engineer comes up, upgrades the turret, and then has to build the turret to full health before it works again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  8. nhammen

nhammen Member

i like this idea

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

me too.. i cant believe this hasnt already been suggested

when you upgrade your turrets they cost the same to build so i dont think they should need money to upgrade.. all the money for the upgrades goes into the research

but yeah this would be nice

10. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

I don't mean that they should build themselves. I mean that, if the technology is researched, an engineer should be able to come and upgrade the already existing turrets that the commander has put down.

As it is right now, if the commander places a bunch of lvl 1 turrets, and then researches lvl 3s, there is no way for him to upgrade his already existing turrets. He has to recycle them all and rebuild from scratch, which can be costly and dangerous.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Someone else always does it for me...eventually ^^

12. dizzyone

I see, missed that part, upgrading should cost something at the least.
    I believe there was a discussion on something like this before, but it ended in that why take your level 1's offline, if you can keep it up and just build a level3 next to it, instead of being vulnerable building up a turret. Upgrading costing less or being free would give it a good reason, but I am not a fan of free level3 turrets.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

after you research turrets it doesnt cost more to place each turret.. its the same price so why should it cost more to take somthing you already paid for to upgrade it? if you have the tech you should be able to upgrade them.. the only downside is if you get level 3s the engy will have to go thru building the level 2 first..

the res is not an issue its the build time.. i think that makes up for it

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I has been. Altho I can't find it atm.

15. FishThePirate

FishThePirate Member

Another idea, if people don't like the idea of engineers being able to do it. Mabe there could be something on the research tree that upgrades all our current turrets to whatever lvl you have researched. It could cost a a couple hundred res or so. I mean, either way I think something should be done. If an engineer can upgrade his own turret it would stand to reason that, with the proper resources, he could upgrade the commander's.

16. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

How about, in order to get around the usual recycle/replace deal, the commander selects the turrets and clicks an "upgrade" button.

ALL SELECTED TURRETS ARE REPLACED FOR FREE (or for low cost) BY THE NEWER VERSIONS.

However...
    They're unbuilt.

So now your base, your chokepoint, whatever, is at risk. Unless you've already got an engy in the area, and even if you do have an engy, you're running a serious risk of losing an entire flank.

17. dizzyone

You didnt get me right, I didn't say pay more, I ment free, as in not paying a single dime when upgrading vs having to pay, as in paying for the turret cost when upgrading, or somewhere in between.

What I was saying was that why take your level1 down, if its going to cost money anyway to upgrade it to level3, you can just keep it up and built a level3 next to it, then recycle the level1. That way you don't risk your engi getting killed because there was no turret backup for a few seconds.
    I also don't like the idea of free turrets, as in not paying for the upgrade. And having to build level2 first just sounds silly, I mean if you drop a new one you don't need to build all 3 levels. Although I wouldnt mind if it did.

edit: Ok wait, I didn't get what you ment, my apologies. Theres 2 reasons why i think you should have to pay for an upgrade: (or a reduced price)
    1. You paid for the level1 to do its job and should do so for the level3, even if you would just have to pay for the new materials that are required for the upgrade from level1 to 3.
    2. Maintaining turret defence should cost money, thus upgrading should be treated as you built a new turret, even if it will only happen once for every built turret.

The time might be the most important, but in the long run turrets can cost a team a lot of money. If time is the most important factor, why would you take upgrading lev1->lev2->lev3 over paying for a new turret you can drop straight away? Upgrading a turret's should be weighed down to whether its actually practical and not just something that makes sense to include.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007