commander GUI

Discussion in 'General' started by blizzerd, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i am putting my time into some concepts for a functional GUI for the commander
    later il walk trough all the other GUI's and Hud

what do you think needs to be on it?

what buttons (for example the button opening the buildings tab)
    what visual aid (for example some way of seeing your squads squad points)
    what needs to be separate panels (for example a squad panel listing all the squads briefly)

make a list but try not to post things what others have already posted

also think of allowing future ideas that might come into reality later
    (for example a button that enables you to construct aircraft if aircraft would still be a viable suggestion/idea)

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

My biggest pet peeve is that the bottom of the current commander GUI overlaps with the icon that shows who is using voice chat. Sometimes I have to exit comm view just to see who is speaking.

In general, I'd like to see it reduced so you can see more of the screen in the default viewpoint. Maybe more items could be moved to popup menus? Essentially something more like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Most important is to get rid of the popup menus from the tabs. They're slow and block a big chunk of the commander's view area.

4. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Really, I'd say the opposite. I'd rather have popup menus that I could close than a larger bottom section.

5. Apogee

Apogee Member

I need need NEED a way to see what tanks team members are using. A simple
    Weapons:
    Armour:
    Engine:

list would be good enough. Better yet if I can select multiple vehicles and see a breakdown (maybe just an icon for each thing) of what they have equipped.

6. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Better Tech tree. Maybe have an actual TREE SHOW UP instead of the nested radial thingy.

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yeah that's true, hiding things is no good for new players at all. People have to ask where stuff is.

8. Korpi

Korpi Member

The comm needs to see what class the people in vehicles belong in. Right now you have to look from the tab menu or ask every time. Also the hud images of selected people should show their names.

9. Phantom

Phantom Member

A means to highlight any given squad via a single button or key combination. Example, 'ctrl + a' would highlight all alpha squad members and show their respective information (class: upgrades, and health).

A Ping option in the commander's HUD to indicate locations on selected unit's minimaps or all units?

Allow all team members to access the research tree to see what has already been researched? (not really commander oriented).

**-The ability for commander targets/move orders and or Squad targets/move orders to stack. EG move orders are green and targets are red and neither removes the other. Its a pain in the ass trying to get a squad to go somewhere as a squad leader without getting rid of their targets ...which are vital information.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Can we Change the research and crap windows, and do what starcraft does?
    Select a building and give it orders in the bottom right?

Like click a radar, and have a "Pause Research" "Research Tree" "Recycle" buttons.
    Or a barracks having "Enable/Disable Spawning" "Recycle"
    Or a VF having "Construct Vehicle" "Disable VF" "Recycle"

That way we can fix like 10 birds with one stone.

Less huge tabs on the right.
    You can individually disable or enable VFs.
    You can specify which VF to build a tank from
    You can disable/enable raxes
    You could add further support for map entities being slectable.

11. Terminutter

Terminutter Member

What about restricting raxes to certain squads?
    and restricting certain vehicle types? (such as arty, if you need heavies on the field)

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id say this is starting to sound interesting...

go on...

13. Terminutter

Terminutter Member

I managed to loose the thread. :confused:

Either way. I was thinking that squads are able to split up too easily these days - if there is a lack of communication between the comm, squad leader, and squad, you often end up with people going their own ways.

Thus, I would suggest the ability for the comm to "lock" barracks for various squads. So, when the comm selects a rax, he could have a series of buttons, one for each of the squads. (make the max squad number 10, for useability.)

These buttons would determine the squads that could spawn at the barracks. So, if you were to click the A button, then Alpha would be unable to spawn at the rax. Click it again, and Alpha could spawn there again.

This would help the commander control the map - he could stop Alpha from spawning at NE, keeping them together, whilst Bravo could be forced to stay at centre. In essence, they are forced to stay together - as they can't spawn anywhere else.

This would make the commander a much more powerful figure. Combine this with a "Disable Barracks" button, that stops spawning entirely at that barracks, untill toggled off and you might even be able to force your team to kill that goddamn scout saboutaging the radar.

This would be abusable, but it could be kept to a lower level by making the main barracks unbannable / forcing each squad to have at least one rax. Then again, we all have the "Remove Comm" button for a reason, and from my experiance, the admins are perfectly happy to kick someone if he's fucking his team intentionally.

--------

Now for the other suggestion.
    Basicaly, make it so that when the comm clicks on a VF, he is given the ability to regulate more than just if the VF is on.

1) He could have a series of boxes that allow him to regulate the vehicle types chosen. For example, click on the jeep button, and stop that guy from screwing your team over by spamming them. Likewise, make sure that those are heavies coming out - not AVFs. Quick to use, and useful.

2) Take the control freak aspect further, and let the commander choose the maximum number he wants out of various vehicles. He might have both arties and heavies, and thus, he could have the ability to make sure that the team could only have 3 arties, but no more than 7 heavies. A text box would be required though, for the numbers. which might be a bit crude.

3) This is stupidly control freak, (in a sense) but maybe the comm could be able to ban regular engines and plain armour, to help stop people from rushing heavies with paper, even though reflective e.t.c is available.
    (I don't know what to use, just an example)

This was probably a bit long though...