Commander force class

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by pixelized, Jul 9, 2006.

1. pixelized

pixelized Member

I think it would be nice if commander could change teammate's classes on the battlefield say from scout to engineer or scout to grenadier etc . . .

That or an option to ban a player from the team.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  2. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

No. The commander can only guide, request and give orders.

Forcing players makes the game less fun.

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Did you command during a game where 90% are scouts and enemy is attacking with tanks?

4. Blitz

Blitz Member

people get pissed off when you limit the tanks. i think people will just leave if they cant pick the class they want and/or are forced into roles they dont like

and then thiers the noob comm problem and the risk of power mad a** holes just messing round all the time

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

First off, banning is an admin power. Giving administrative powers to the person who has the fastest connection (and therefore can reach the comm first) is as stupid as giving an dementia-riddled alzheimers patient keys to your brand new porsche. Bad things will happen.

Secondly, what letuce said. Hell, while we're at it, why don't we let the comm take control of which WEAPON you choose, as well? And which target you have to shoot at? Hell, why don't we just eliminate all other players from the game, and make it a pure rts? No. You have to allow the players the freedom to play the game how they like, even if they ARE being stupid dueschebags who should be playing as grenadiers when scouts are not needed.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  6. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

That's a silly idea.

I'd much rather engineers were forced until an armoury was built.

7. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Other classes are useful at startup too. Nothing stops enemy engineers better than a AR bullet to the head... :) I don't see point in breaking a good thing, because sometimes it's a bad thing. I'm still suggesting that instead of scout the first class you'd get offered would be engineer or rifleman. We would definedly see more new people playing other classes than scout.

8. Glockmeister

Glockmeister Member

Perhaps instead comms can request other players to change classes.

9. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

that's why they have chat.

10. Glockmeister

Glockmeister Member

well, in event that people happen to miss it, an audio cue works wonders.

11. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

As a loyal Grenadier I never play any other class anymore, the annoying thing at the start is that spammy commanders will tell anyone to build without checking their class, which can and often does piss me off.

12. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) But you can build with every class...

13. zachtos

zachtos Member

I prefer the idea of limiting ratios of classes and chasis. This still allows for player choice to an extent and allows the commander to force some strategy into the game.

I tend to just lock VF and build unit types I feel are need and verbally/written request more grenadiers etc. if needed.

14. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Zachtos, you don't ever want to force good teams, a team that won't cooperate and divide on themselves, will simply lose, instead of forcing teams into a working configuration- many players might not be satisfied with their forced class by the way, like... ME, as a Grenadier.

15. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

With only four classes, not having a certain type of class isn't really an issue. I'm paraphrasing Krenzo when I say that there are only four classes so that you always have a class you want nearby, when you need it, by virtue of the fact that there are so few options to choose from.

Also, gameplay usually alters the class ratios appropriately, and the round that isn't balanced by gameplay is usually the exception. That said, any sort of class restriction IS going to cause some MAJOR trouble in game. For example, there are times when you need an even spread of troops, and times when the enemy light tanks are rushing you and everyone nearby needs to grab grenadier class, pronto. Class ratios, for Empires, are bad news. The gameplay is just too flexible. (Which is good.)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'm changing classes quite often. Not only I play as each class but if situation needs use of another class I go to barracks/armory and change it, finish the task and change once again to old class.

Constant class ratio is a retarded idea.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  17. AnRK

AnRK Member

i think the request idea is commendable, its makes the player focus more on playing as opposed to going through window menus etc when they could be doing something useful PLUS it reduces messages in chat which wouldnt need to be read

a good example of this although it is implemented differently is BF2 where the commander can suggest orders (on here too thankfully) which means a squad leader does not have to stand about getting sniped etc and can simply get on with whatever they are doing

forcing people is a bad idea, i agree with l3 and lobster on this 100% i am utterly useless at anything other then being an engineer and im not very good at that in the first place

having limitations on certain classes like scouts, whos killing ability needs to be made much harder to get to grips with, would help the uneveness but ratios are just not going to work because every map and every situation within those maps is different

18. Hikuso

Hikuso Member

i say make the default startupclass engineer, as most newbies tend to just ht the ok button, and it's better to have a newbie engineer than a newbie scout
    (unless he figures out how to put up his walls :|)

19. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

THat's a decent idea hikuso, i'm still in favour of it.

20. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) I've suggested this in at least three other threads and I'm still all for it. :)