Commander Crash

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Metal Smith, Dec 16, 2012.

1. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Just came to mind that no-one had mentioned this-
    on crossroads (232) when we were able to very reliably reproduce the problem using the method;

Get in CV, fail to drop building, get out & then someone on opposing team places & recycles a turret.

If the turret which was recycled was not in that persons view (metal smith went to do it at another point on the map) then that person did not immediately crash. But we didn't repeat that alot.

Also simply placing a turret or failing to place a turret also crashed me from CV view immediately about 4 times in a row .

2. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

I have another one:
    Just hover a buildable (ml) over the perimeter of the CV - there is a point where it constantly spams entities in the console - and wait.

After 2 or so screenfull of console flooding, the crash happens.

I've tested this on duststorm and canyon, with nf and be right at map start, so it appears not really related to specific maps.

3. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Thanks for the reproduction steps everyone. This is very helpful.

We now have a crash dump with memory information at the time of the crash. Unfortunately the stack trace is still incomplete because the crash happens in Valve code. But at least we have the memory information of what is happening in Empires code.

It appears the problem is caused because an invalid pointer is passed to vphysics. Tracking down exactly which pointer is causing this will take time. But thanks to your efforts, we are one step closer to finding a solution.

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I can also reproduce a crash reliably with Duckys method. Back right hand side of the CV.

Not sure that is the same error we had in crossroads, possibly unrelated? My console log for those crashes doesn't show the same error spam.

5. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

I'm guessing Ducky's is an unrelated issue - but still serious. Actually, its worse than he suggests. Its not only MLs... and its not only the com.

When structures turn Red... it spams the console with looped messages. Hovering a ML/MG over a rax / ref or resource point does the same thing (crashing eventually).

Likewise... instead of using MLs/MGs - you can use walls and it does the same thing.

"c_Barracksclass" on the rax and"jeepprop_vehicle_jeepprop_vehicle_jeepprop_vehicle [to infinity]" on the CV.

6. Neoony

Neoony Member

also C_turretclass and C_turretprop...and a lot of other similiar errors spamming.
    I remember that jeepprop_vehicle_jeep was spamming even when there were no jeeps...i didnt noticed these errors in nonbeta

7. Jephir

I've published an update that should fix the commander crashes caused by destroying turrets.
    Known issue: turret gibs will fall through the floor.

If there is still a way to crash the commander please post it below.

8. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I think thats done it. When the turret gibs everything but the base now falls through the floor for me but they still look cool. Ducky (SVN) & me (Steam) tested this with the usual method and neither of us crashed so I reckon its looking good there.

I'll go see if I can try it with the way Bluesky described (when console spam results from hovering a buildable close to the CV - FYI, you get console spam when hovering a turret over either your own CV or the enemy CV)

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yep - I can crash myself by holding an ML turret in a certain spot next to my own CV. Interestingly this time (unlike any previous when I tested this method) I actually get an error message:

Engine Error:
    Too many verts for a dynamic vertex buffer (59748>32768) Tell a programmer to up VERTEX_BUFFER_SIZE)

I have crashed it before like this but not got the message. HL2.exe remains open until I click OK on that error message and then it closes.

Crash dump attached for your bug hunting pleasures.
    Edit: Also - Up the limit on *.mdmp attachments from 200KB to 1MB! I had to zip this, have you any idea how busy I am!..... well I'm not very busy. But still, you don't know. I might be.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

We tested this with the crossroads-turret method (...between Brot's and AzK's vac disconnects), and we didn't crash in those few attempts.

The console-spam method still crashed me.

11. мrвlυeѕĸy

мrвlυeѕĸy Member

Confirmed. Crossroads issue is fixed.

As Ducky says - console spam from red-shaded overlapped buildings in the build view still crashes it (it even works if you try to overlap a rax on another rax if you catch it in the right place).

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

it happens in com restrict brushes too

also when you hover the turret over the com the spammed message is something like vehiclejeep

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

So here is the mdmp.
    Last things i was doing was placing walls under the bridge next to nf cv in mid crossroads and then i pressed console key and thats when it crashed with Vertex buffer error

Dont have the screenshot of error because MSI Afterburner didnt took the screenshot for some reason (cant cap the desktop?)

Attached Files:

14. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Corpses now fall under the map. So I dunno - maybe whatever you did to disable the collision on the turret gibs also affects player models? I have no idea. I'm going to shut up now.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  15. Xyber04

Xyber04 Member

u guys are beasts

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

wherever the com hovers over a place where you cant drop. lots of console spam.
    for example:
    regular land
    hovering over command restricts
    and when you hover over the commander

17. Jephir

I need help reproducing the console spam crash. The minidumps don't contain a stack trace we can use.

18. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

go to place a building, and put the building over an empires entity. Open console. It constantly spams C_blablabla dpeending upon the entity being hovered over, or the jeepprop one if you are over the commander.

I don't think I've had this actually crash my client though.

19. Jephir

Console spam should be fixed now (next publish).