Commander Class

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Araxamas, Mar 26, 2012.

?

Good Suggestion?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2012.
  1. BURN IT!!

46.7%
  2. Excellent Idea!

20.0%
  3. derp derp derp

33.3%
  1. Araxamas

Araxamas Member

Now i realise my last suggestion didnt go well. as i multiply quoted unessisarily. for that i applogise. i was just lazy (lol). Now to my new suggestion. which hopefully will go better and will be taken seriously. The commander class. Well for a start i hope to remove the fact that the commander can run around and sap everything. For a start the commander will be a seperate class. It will have no skills. For a start the commander will have a sepeate model (maybe something resembeling a General with badges and medals and stuff) he will also have a pistol , a calculator , Body armor and a commander pad. The commander pad will let him look around the map like in commander mode and give move orders but shall not let him research , build vehicles or buildings. The commander pad will allow him/her to recycle buildings without the command vehicle. The Calculator will be different than the enginners. it shall build buildings 3x faster excluding vehicle repair and can not heal infantry. This would allow the commander to be able to walk around and build things while being able to give move orders remotely. Also i was thinking about if the commander died his/her team would loose the round. this would give more of a challenge for squads or scouts for assassination missions and stealth opperations but would increase the probability of Griefing via suicide unfortunatly. This would also give more reason to vote for the right commander at the start of a round. I know the coding is already a pain already but suggestions dont hurt :D so please reply and let me know what you think.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

For a start

3. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

Looks like the suggestion was stupid enough to make Trickster not finish his sentence. Quoting so he can't edit lololol

Anyway, I don't really have time to list the problems with this suggestion but I'm sure you will notice them yourself if you think things trough.

4. Trickster

Quoting this so Predator can't edit the fact he totally missed the point of the post.

5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

No, it's a bad suggestion, the commander is pretty decent right now, it just needs it gui reworked and simplified and maybe add some BALANCED powers

6. Trickster

The commander certainly doesn't need anything outside of the CV, except a function to maybe boot someone out of the CV if they take it. Generally, extra ways of giving out orders and controlling tank usage, as well as an easier to use interface, are what's needed. Being able to give visible, clear objectives to squads would totally revolutionise the game for new players in my opinion, especially if they were automatically ASKED (not forced) to join squads which had objectives.

7. Reznov

Reznov Member

Just fix the god dam comm view for commander so he won't have to press E to manage squads. Maybe even make it possible for comm to move players into specific squads. If dats done, comming would get more comfortable in future.

8. Trickster

Well yeah, Squad management is key to sorting all the commander problems out. Rest assured, we do know that.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Adjust waypoints so that it works like dead space? Hit some key and see thick red(or what ever color) line on ground telling noobs how to get there. With text over the target/area telling them what to do there.

10. Trickster

I haven't played Dead Space, but the general idea would be that the commander could issue the kind of objectives you'd expect in single player games, telling you to attack locations, defend them, issue objectives to your squad and whatnot. There's a lot of detail to the idea but it's pointless to go into it in someone elses thread, especially when it's so far off even being started.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what was the stance on building ghosts and 3d mousepoints again? still think both would be great ideas ...

12. Trickster

1) Anything like that is a long long time off.
    2) Marcin said the building ghosts would require insane amounts of netcode.

13. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

yeah having to preview a ghost of a building would take a bit of *New* netcode, unless of course I could make a button lets say "Preview" that shows the building at the location specified by the commander( he can't move it ! ).

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well... does it need to be real time preview? It could just update location every second couldn't it? The mini map updates every second doesn't it? Couldn't you hitch some extra code to that?

15. Trickster

It's unimportant for the time being anyway, there are 101 things that are more important than making players get out of the way of building placements.

16. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

To get people out of the way you 1: SCREAM AT THE MUTHER FUCKER
    2: Give Paradox admin so he canslay that mutherfucker

17. flasche

it would need 4 floats, a vector3 for the buildings origin and the rotation (as you can assume that up is always along y). thats 160 bit (or 320bit for doubles) is that really over the top already?
    rest could be done clientside as for the ghost building it doesnt even has to be reliable.

edit:
    well actually you can get it done with only 3 floats, as you only need the position in two dimensions (bc up always is the yaxis) and the rotation and then project the position up-/downwards ...

edit2:
    oh i forgot you have to transmit what kind of building it is, that cannot be that much either - add 8bit for an int.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  18. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

you would need X , Y, Z, Rotation, buildingtype, I can send those via a commander side console command if I'm lazy.

What's the point of writing netcode for this?! if it only has 1 use, I'm not writing this, unless it is static.

19. flasche

no you only need x, z, rotation and an the index of the building (thats 3 floats (or doubles?) and an uint if you really need to save bits). y can be calculated by raytracing (if you can do that clientside)

the point is that it gives comms a tool to direct movement of their troops. idk if you ever played savage (or savage2), you can do that there and they use barracks to show directions to their players (like "look i want a barracks there <hovers building ghost in area>"). its a proven and (imo) very well working concept, i didnt just pull this out of my ass because i felt like.
    its something to manifest the commander on the battlefield without him being present in person. imo, though theres stuff like boomtanking, the comm is very abstract in empires.

edit:
    just for info - which axis in worldspace is upwards in source?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  20. @@@@Marcin@@@@

@@@@Marcin@@@@ Developer

z, which is universal