Commander changes and infantry boost

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by a noob, Feb 21, 2010.

1. a noob

a noob Member

Some tweaks I think would be good for empires. Discuss improvements on them.:)

1. Since this is an rts game, the commander should have more control over his team. So, the commander should be able to assign players to squads and the ability to kill them and force them to respawn at a different barracks.

2. Also, commanders should only be able to assign targets if they have already been spotted by an engineer's camera/radar or spotted by a scout (already shows up as an orange square). Targets should be canceled if they move out of the range of a camera or radar. This would make keep infantry from being reliant on wallhax and make assigning targets a tactical decision.

3. Engineer should be be able to upgrade cameras in the same way as turrets to increase the range of targets.

4. An engineer with upgrade skill should be able to upgrade anybody's turret, not just his own.This is a team game, after all.

5. Engineer with revive should be able to drag teammates out of danger before reviving them. No more getting revived and dieing immediately.

6. Scout grenade should work more like a satchel (i.e. you throw it and it only explodes when you want it to) and do a little more damage. this would make it easier to use against tanks.

7. Scout rifle should have iron sights on it and a bit more range. Why the devs added a sniper rifle when they don't even like them is beyond me, but this small change would make it more like the engineer's rifle in bf1942 and less like the failgun it currently is.

8. Instead of the silencer skill, the scout should have the option of replacing the pistol with a melee weapon. When using the melee weapon, silencer and melee upgrade would be innate.

9. The rifleman's machine gun should have sights on it that could be used when crouching or in a vehicle. Having to go prone to shoot is annoying.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id agree with all of your points if empires was an rts

sadly, empires is not an rts, its a first person shooter with 1 member of your team having a top down view and he can place buildings

the "commander" is not in charge, so he should not be able to "force" players to do stuff they don't want or die or whatever

imagine you being on an awesome rifleman killing streak as an engineer (so its kinda special) with your smg, you killed 4 to 5 riflemen already and at least 3 are possible to be killed

then the commander force suicides you and your streak is over

that would make the game less enjoyable, i agree killing players is not really useful for your team but its fun to do it never the less and gaming is about fun

if you take the fun out, the gamers will leave aswel

3. a noob

a noob Member

While it is true that these powers can be abused, the commander already has plenty of ways to grief and one more wouldn't really make a difference.

4. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Hmm....what a about a knife or something for melee?

Scouts can be Sam Fisher :o

(No, I don't play Shitler Cell)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

that's like saying "our budget is already in the red, a few more millions missing wont make a difference"

most of the commander exploits can be easily fixed, although i would agree it changes some of the fun side effects (we don't want to lose another 9mine, if anything we want to add stuff like that)

i only see this game move forward if the developers would move away from a totalitarian commander, and more to a supportive commander, providing the troops with what they need

in clan matches it makes sense that the commander decides the general strategy because he has the best battlefield overview and this can still happen with a support oriented commander, but in pub games it has proven time and time again that a totalitarian commander provides more irritation and loss of fun then beneficial effects

6. a noob

a noob Member

It's actually unlikely that griefers would abuse my idea instead of what they currently do. Think about it. If a commander starts randomly killing people, everybody can FS space and kick him out. Some people get bad scores

and the team might lose a little land, but other than that, nothing really happens. If a commander decides to drive into water or enemy territory, then the team has to worry about getting the command vehicle out of water or

a dangerous area. Unless the enemy team is helping, it almost never works.

So it doesn't really matter if the commander can kill people randomly, there are more effective ways to grief.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010