Colour blindness is fun.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chris0132', Aug 14, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

As some probably know I'm colourblind, and I was recently suffering from the wikipedia problem when I read the article on colour blindness, it describes it surprisingly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

See colour blindness doesn't mean I see red as blue and blue as red because if that were the case I'd never know I had it, I'd still see the two colour separately and nobody would know the difference. With most forms of colourblindness what happens is you see several colours as being the same colour.

From my perspective, other people use three different words for the colour I call yellow, sometimes they call it yellow, sometimes they call it green, and sometimes they call it red. I see all those colours as one colour, and call it yellow, although I have learned to call it other things based on context, for example I call grapes and apples green, despite the fact they look orange and yellow respectively (orange being what I call 'dark yellow').

There are also people who cannot see any colour at all, they see only in shades of a sort of greenish colour, which is what the cells in your eyes which detect intensity work in, the cells which detect colour (cone cells) work in three colours (unless you're dichromatic, like me, in which case you only work in two) while the cells designed to detect light in low intensities and generally gauge intensity (rod cells) work in a sort of greenish colour. I wasn't aware of this previously, I assumed there was nobody who had completely monocrome vision.

There are a few colour charts in the article to tell you if you have it, I for example can't see anything in this one:

[​IMG]

Which means I'm deuteranopic.

If you can't see any numbers in this one:

[​IMG]

You're protanpic.

And if you can't see any in this:

[​IMG]

You're tritanopic.

I also don't understand this picture:

[​IMG]

It is supposed to demonstrate the difference between normal three-colour vision and dichromatic vision, however both images look almost identical to me except for a very slight brightening on the bottom left image. Understandably I shouldn't be able to tell the difference if they have the image right, but I don't know if there is any actual difference in the first place, someone with normal vision help me out please.

A thread about something interesting with audience participation and which wasn't started by fricken hamster, what more can you ask for?

2. Mashav

Mashav Member

The pictures are different.
    Top left is red.
    Top right is a vivid green .
    Bottom left is a pale greenish brown.
    Bottom right is a pale yellow brown.

Second coloration with numbers is 37. The third is 56. I can't tell if there's supposed to be one in the first one, but if there is, its 49.

3. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

What are you doing on my Blog?

4. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

A guy I work with couldn't get into the police force because he is colorblind. Seems a bit tough to me. Is it that big an issue day-to-day, even as a cop?
    "suspect is heading south in a yellow sedan!"
    "You mean a red sedan?"
    "Erm...yeah, whatever. Just stop him!"

I'm half blind in one eye, so the world looks mostly flat to me. I haven't been able to watch a 3D show since I was a teenager. :( It's no big deal, except when someone throws something small at me to catch and I miss it by a mile :P When I got back into fencing I worried I would suck, but I do fine. I think with practice you can compensate pretty good. You are allowed to drive if you have only one eye.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

To me, both pairs look identical, deep red and vivid green, I guess my idea of vivid green is a bit stunted.

There's numbers in all the first 3 pics, they will be fairly obvious if you can see them, I can see the second two fine.

6. Mashav

Mashav Member

I think I was just looking at my screen from too high an angle. If I look from a lower angle, it darkens and they become a lot clearer.

7. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

My physics teacher is color blind. Was a pain in the ass to write a ploting application because he couldn't differ the lines.

What colors should I use if I want to chart something so color blind people have it easy to understand it. And with enough contrast so other people can tell the difference too?

8. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Sven Vollfied only has one eye and he drives... well not really
    You see , His IBI, Lloyd Goldwynne partner could see into the future. One day, Lloyd saw that they were going to be captured by the mafia and that he was going to die and Sven was going to lose his right eye so he signed his eye to be donated to Sven when he died.

So Sven can see into the future with his friend's eye, but every time he does, it makes him very tired. One day however, he started training his eye, and now he can see stuff in slow motion without fatigue.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah same here, silly TFT monitor.

Try to avoid just altering the hue, alter the brightness as much as possible, anybody can see brightness differences even without colour vision.

I generally have bad colour vision in any colour, even if I can tell the difference between two colours I can't often tell which was which if you take them away and then show me one and ask me which it was, so different symbols for your plots would help as well.

Just basically don't rely on colour if you're trying to explain something to colourblind people.

In X3 for example I can't use the colour coded ship weapon loadouts, but I can use the numerical order they go in.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Make all the lines one color, and tell the teacher you did them all different colors...

On a side note:

Is it normal for one eye to see redish hues and one eye to see more blueish hues?

11. Empty

Empty Member

My right eye sees things very very very very slightly more "redly"

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

K, so I'm not the only one.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i cant see anything besides random stains in the very first picture, all the rest are fine

am i to worry?

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can have it in one eye only, although it is rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#Dichromacy

15. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

That means you only have six weeks left to live. I am sorry. Use the time wisely and play some Empires.

I really have trouble to see the numbers in the pictures, no matter what angle i look at them...:(

16. Empty

Empty Member

17. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Yes. That's why even the 3D glasses have other eye covered with red plastic and the other with blue, to strenghten this effect.

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I always wondered what somebody would call a colour he saw as another, as in your case, red as blue, and blue as red. Do you call red blue and blue red, or do you call them like a non-affected person would?

19. Empty

Empty Member

He sees several colours as the same colour, not colours replacing eachother.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if one color would replace another you would not know, everyone else sees red when you see blue, but you call blue red and red blue so noone notices

it could be that colors are different to each of us, but because you cannot discribe a color people just use names for them and the "effect" that a color has would be the same for everyone (prime colour number 1, prime colour number 2, prime colour number 3, and the strengths of them)