Cluster Bomb

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Apr 6, 2013.

1. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

The cluster bomb would be a missile that splits into several pseudo grenades upon impact (maybe with the trajectory of the sticky bomb) that explode after a short period (1 - 1.5 seconds) to give NF missile boats an alternative to the HE cannon.

Cluster bomb
    Mechanical tree
    Research time: 90
    Dumbfire Missile
    Slots: 2
    Cost: 60
    Damage: 15
    Speed: 1600
    Heat: 8
    Weight: 60
    Cycle Time: 1.4
    Clip Size: 6
    Total Ammo Clips: 6
    Reload time: 5.0
    Projectile Spread: 1
    Heat to Target: .1
    Explosion Radius: 50
    Explosion Force: 20
    Amount of bombs: 3
    Bomb Damage: 60
    Bomb Explosion Radius: 250
    Bomb Explosion Force: 100

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

That's so... useless...

I can't imagine any time I'd ever use it. I'd rather just put HE on my tank as it is and use it to kill infantry. Or a machine gun.

3. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

But missile boats are more fun. Plus it would lessen the imbalance that is created by BE getting two guns

4. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I really don't get it.

Tank vs. tank combat is all about how many direct hits you can land on the enemy tanks. How would these cluster missiles lessen the imbalance between BE heavies and NF heavies?

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Okay, this is a proper thread, so here's some proper discussions in return.

Unfortuantely, I kind of agree with Candles.
    We just have too much weapons to replace this thing at the moment.
    There's no space for your weapon.

Here, let me fill you with some scenarios.

Let's say I am on NF, if I am to build a heavy tank capable of destroying enemy building/vehicle/infantry. I can go for dual UML with HE, and go 4-4-4-5 with armor (more if lighter armor).
    If I am to replace UML with this weapon you are suggesting.
    I would lose too much anti-tank ability, with some reduction of my anti-building ability since UML is just so good at tearing buildings apart too. Perhaps minor increment of my anti-infantry ability, but then again, I have HE.

Consider the fact that this weapon can only be put on med/heavy tank, which is already mid-late phase of a round.
    And as missile that are ONLY good at killing building, I just have no reason to use this.

In case you wonder, no, this weapon won't be good at killing infantry, at least not better than other feasible weapons.

I can write 20 more scenarios, but that would make this thread too shit long and I don't have the time.

TL;DR, read Candle's reply.
    This weapon isn't bad, but there's no space for it.

6. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

But wouldn't they be ineffective against tanks? Especially moving tanks, unless you could airburst sticky nades on or above enemy tanks. That would be pury koollll.... amirite?

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I don't really care about urethra's cute little parameters, but the concept of a "cluster" missile would be a good replacement 3-slot missile for the lackluster nuke. Something big and slow that can mitigate its speed by a shotgun-like accuracy. But nades don't fly through walls/buildings and slaughter infantry, so it's less frustrating.

8. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Also those stats are based on the vehicle weapon appendix on the wiki, which is outdated.

1 HE shell (according to wiki) is 75 damage with the huge splash

1 cluster bomb is 15 damage on impact + 3x 60 damage with decent splash on them

Also it could be used to hit targets that are behind buildings or walls

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

There are 3 new planned weapons for a release at some point. Not the next one (2.42).

2 of those are Grenades. One of those Grenades is a sort of, rapid fire multi explosion thing. Basically, it has a high rate of fire and each grenade explodes a few times. I don't know how it'll work out. I do get what Urethra is saying, even if his method of implementation is a bit poor. But the way he's laid it out makes it another HE weapon. It's just an area with a wide splash due to multiple explosions. I have no doubt it'll look cool but it's not really going to have a new method of use to it over HE. Any new weapon we add should require you to learn how to use it, because it works differently to other weapons.

If anyone has any unique weapon ideas that will require a different style of play to what we have now, I'm all ears.

So far, like I said, we have 3 planned:

"Tesla Coil" - Very high rate MG with low range (will dissipate to 0 damage after a set distance). It'll essentially be a lightning bolt that you "hold" on the enemy. I am a little wary of how vehicle weapon prediction doesn't work, meaning you have to hold MGs in front of your target. I might not implement this unless we can get a solution to that problem.

"Static Grenades" - The grenades I mentioned above. Lowish damage grenades, but high RoF and explodes multiple times. I envisage this as a sort of pushing weapon, one you can use to push the enemies out of cover and whatnot. It might not kill them but it should drive them into open ground.

"Bio Grenades" - Grenades explodes and releases a "gas cloud". This is basically an area of effect in which anyone within it takes damage. I consider this as a more "Area Denial" weapon. It'll have pretty limited ammo per clip to stop it getting spammed.

10. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

No no no no no no no no no no no

Isn't that breaking your own rules laid out in the suggestion forum guidelines?

Does this have ammo requirements? It would be cool to have an energy(heat) only weapon

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

??????

12. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Mustard Gas/Chemical Gas of any kind
    Any form of gas grenade could be used for spawn killing, and spamming a weapon that has the effect of smoke grenades as well as does damage is not something to be encouraged.

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=5041

Not your rules I guess but still an established guideline

13. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

yes please no bio nades, bio already is frustrating enough ...

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Not "bio" bio nades, they would be more like....molotovs from CS Global Offensive.

15. flasche

would they deal damage over time?

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

If you stood in them. That's what CSGO does.

17. flasche

still sucks if its inside your spawn (i know, bioml can do the same with DoT)

i kinda like the idea of such area denial weapon though ...

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

It's rather hard to stick grenades into the barracks, and if the enemy can do that, they can also mine it, spawncamp it, melee-rush it, or just destroy it.

19. flasche

its no magic to fire any "projectile weapon" into a rax - cannon, missiles, nades (inf & veh), mortar, whatever ...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  20. D.D.D. Destroyer

My point being, if you allow for it to happen, that position is somewhat screwed over.