close range anti wall sticky to prevent infantry map wall stalemates

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by blizzerd, Mar 31, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

as seen in that other thread about walls, basically this would make it possible again to enable walls in infantry maps

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i believe this deserves 1 more chance at community attention, hence the bump

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A++ would support again

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

um... error?

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

As long as it's an alternative and not a replacement as well as balanced as to disallow effective spamming, I'm fine with this.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

it would be the second grenade for the engineers

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

as i said in that other thread, to me it feels like a sinlge one of those would be a bit over the top. let it take 2 to take down a wall.
    but i realized that 51% wont cut it, so probably something like 75% with a "cycle time" (dunno how thats called for nades) fast enough so a single engineer cant outrepair it (deals 75% dmg -> engineer instantly starts repairing, by the time the wall is at about 50% health again the 2nd sticky could be thrown)

also i thought this would be available to scouts? lets see what the scout thread i started (i hate myself already for doing it), it would really help him in being a frontline support class (if devs could somehow convinced that this roll would add more to gameplay than a sniper ever could do)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

everyone hates sabotage, and currently the only thing you can do to guard your refineries is walling them up

giving this to the scout will mess that up, so i am thinking engineer

also i would go for a bit less damage if needed, its all up to balance ofcourse

9. flasche

lol now i got the values ... it needs to do 67% damage to a wall, and have a "cycle time" as fast as a single engy is able to repair 33% of the walls total health :D

also i thought sabotage got fixed back to the broken state it had in 2.12? so you dont lose income and 100 res for replacing but only income ...

10. OuNin

OuNin Member

49% wall damage at most

11. flasche

that would make it possible to outrepair it, preventing this is the whole intention behind blizzerds idea ... i have no real opinion on if this should be implemented, i just want to prevent it from getting too powerful - in the end, denying access is why you place walls :D

my other post only means it needs 2 of those stickies to take down a wall piece, even if it gets repaired instantly. blizzerds original idea meant to take out the wall instantly ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

if you defend your walls (in other words, attack the people standing outside in stead of just letting them do whatever they want) this should not be hard to counter as the engineer needs to walk up to the wall

thus it can be quite powerful, since its use is rather tricky

13. flasche

if you stand infront of a wall, the wall has little purpose anymore - well it actually makes it easier for grens to hit you :D

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

the grenade is a supplement to the engineer tool deconstruction. no more than half wall damage should be.

15. flasche

16. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Just give it to the scout to make him somewhat useful, and make it so that more than 1 class has a decent shot at killing walls.
    And besides, almost no one wastes their time walling off refineries anyways.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i am directly against giving scout a wallbuster for as long as sabotage is not nerfed/made less annoying

the only thing holding back a scout in a jeep running around sabotaging every ref is the walls you can build around refs

18. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

My opinion

Currently Engineer's can emulate the actions of a scout and go around a map in a jeep (usually a pair of them) and simply spam seismic grenades and run off, walls dont stop them and turrets seldom prove effective at stopping engineer's doing this considering any half decent engineer will drop a wall and simply throw grenades in the general direction of the turret(s) and refinery, and getting your troop's attention is hard enough its an entirely other story trying to get them to kill off this jeep which will generally either run off and come straight back or if its killed it will also return considering how cheap jeeps are. Atleast if sticky grenades were implemented the massive radius of damage it once had would be no longer a part of empires
    (I pray for this every day) and possibly we could give it a fraction of its previous throwing distance but it would only affect the building that has the grenade attached to it so level 1 turrets can still effectivly slow down or stop engineers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010