Cloned meat.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Awrethien, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

[​IMG]

I dont think brocolli was engineered... though by this point in time Everything was... O.o;;

2. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

By this same logic, do I have no right to talk about Darfur because people aren't shooting at me and raping and/or killing my family?

3. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

they are still humans and lats time i cheked humanity still grows stupidity by the busloads...

Yeah they are "supposed" to chek this stuff...

havent eaten a burger for years...

Bud unless your some kind of samaritan giving all your wordly possesions to charity, you have nothing to stand on...

4. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

LOL glad to see people here are more realistic.

Oh no what I was saying that the other forum I was reading people where saying it. Its realy sad people are still asking why do they want to clone when it has been said like four times now:rolleyes:

And Jn. your partly right. It is in the wild but you would never recognise it.
    [​IMG]
    As with all plants humans cultivate we have changed it through husbandry. The edible part is so large or differnt the plant would barly survive in the wild. Same with tomatos, cabbage, corn, brussels sprouts, mellons, cauliflower, pumpkins, apple, oranges, cherries, and dozens more. God I could go on for hours about this so I better stop. My boss would kill me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  5. Chahk

Chahk Member

You really don't see the difference, do you? Bitching about a conflict that doesn't invoive you personally is one thing. Brainwashing 3rd-world country leaders into turning away perfectly safe foods based on some rediculous and un-scientific claims while their populations are starving is another.

Well, excuse me for having an educated opinion based on facts. I didn't realize I needed to become a monk in order to see through the bullshit of some uninformed activist.

Show me one study about someone who turned into a mutant from eating a bowl of cereal. Have some perspective, FFS! Geneticists are working to solve a real crisis of hunger and starvation, while clueless assholes are scaring people into being affraid of a boogeyman. Don't forget that all of that is happening while we piss away this planet's natural resources, poison the water supplies, and fuck up the viable land on which your precious "natural" foods can grow. In Morpheus' words, "Do you think that's air you're breathing now?"

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  6. Jn.

Jn. Member

Well, partly right is better than being completely wrong :) I was just thinking one day, and I realized I've never heard of broccoli being grown way in the past, though, I could have been told that and just wasn't paying attention.

7. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

Well its been around. Some text from the time of the Romens refer to a plant that is beleaved to be broccoli but it was considered an exotic vegetable outside fo Italy untill the 1920.

As for cloned cows if it tasts like beef, looks like beef, smells like beef, Im chowen down.

One bit of irony is that with all the regulations that you know they will be forced to follow it will probably be more healthy than reguler beef.:rolleyes:

8. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Oh, don't get your panties in a bunch. I was pointing out the logical fallacy in Penn and Teller's argument. I support genetic engineering (though the FDA makes me a bitch twitchy, to be honest - they've let things through before that they really shouldn't have), and cloning doesn't really worry me. That problem is that Penn and Teller's argument is that there should be no discussion whatsoever about this if you aren't starving, which is an absolutely ridiculous claim. The flaw with their argument is made evident when you try to apply it elsewhere, such as with as with something most people see as a crisis.

You're also throwing punches at phantoms, here. People are trying to carry on an informed discussion about this, and you've taken all of these comments out of context and interpreted them as stereotypical extremist statements. Also, quoting Morpheus (especially with such an out of context non-sequitur) doesn't really help your argument much.

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Currently the world produces enough food to feed every single human in the world; whats the real problem is logistics; getting that food to everyone who REALLY needs it; and no McDonnalds is a luxury; no matter what they do to their "beef".

I don't see why people attached such a bad stigma to "Cloning" and "Genetic Engineering" Those terms scare the laymen, Cloning is nothing that special if you think about it... Genetic engineering once watered down is also not that all scary... Ok so what; they introduce a gene into some plants of arctic fish to prevent them from freezing... So freaking what? we eat fish; we are normal; the only thing thats diffrent now is that our vegtibles don't freezer burn, and can grow in colder climates... I dont see myself groing a fin or an extra arm...

"Organic" food is BS, they are no diffrent from "Non Organic" and if they are, the fertalizers leech from one to the other... You cannot contain something in one spot, and expect everything else to be unphased... Just like pollution; it doesnt magicly stay within the borders of the country...

To me cloning, genetic engineering and everything else are wonderful advancemnts in science that will make my food better, or cheaper, and as long as no one goes to create a cow/watermelon hybrid, I should stay quite welcoming of genetic engineering.

They should also try cloning a human soon... Like freaking Einstein; raise an entire class full of em... And hopefully they will turn out the same way; because genetic material is only half the story...

10. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Hell YES!

11. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

[​IMG]

My apologies but I had to. Carry on :)

12. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

you could just about eat a bin full of crap and still be ok. random chemicals are gunna be fine.

13. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

There is one down side to geneticly engineered foods. Say they find an oil in plant A(say peanuts) they want in plant B. Say some people are allergic to this oil. Now who ever is allergic to peanuts can not eat this new food. That is IT. I would not want to see a cow that has been desined to have an anti-biotic, chemical or other unatural substance in its milk added in with the rest of the cows for meat. But if its to say reduce fat, increase vitamins and nutruion, increase growth go for the cow, Ill chow down. But for creating substances they manly use bacteria and yeast.

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Just something crazy from the program I work at, Attack of the MooMoo Chickens! [​IMG]

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Then the FDA would have to slap on "May contain traces of nuts" to a tomato...

They wouldnt try to spread the alergin causing oil to other plants, that would be stupid... What they would try to do is replace that alergin causing oil or whatever it is, with something that doesn't cause alergies; like olive oil...

Thats whats genetic engineering... >.<

16. Awrethien

Awrethien Member

I was just using that as an example. I know they would never do that on purpose. I was trying to say that is the only thing I think they realy need to wory about in testing and would be covered by the same warning you said.