clean up the research tree. (and scout suggestion)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by darktimes, Jun 22, 2008.

1. darktimes

darktimes Member

NOW, we have
    52 things to research, and millions of different variations. and countless armors and weapons to choose.

and mostly.. 45% are absolutly pointless in the average game situation.
    it looks good on the paper, but ingame most people are just confussed about this variaty and pick HE (in case of a new player or someone whit not much time to learn everything.)

ma suggestion is,
    to watch the players on the public servers, whit all researchs done and look which technologies and weapons are mostly used,
    and which are never used ( "hint" bio "hint")

and clean the tree up,
    i dont suggest that everything need to be removed, and i know that every tech was tested and have a purpose, but the situations when this weapon need to fullfill his purpose are rarer as rain in the desert (all 7 jears.)

this whould also make the game more attractive for new players.
    i hope you can understand that not everyone have the time to learn the research tree,

PROS
    - make the commanders job easier
    - easier to learn for new players.
    - less useless junk to choose from
    - players have less chances to make mistakes, and have more good
    moments, keep them interrested
    - place for new systems who could be usefull
    - "OMG which ArmoR ?!? " is decreased
    - the problems of "counter and counterthecounter" is decreased
    - "you cant know what the enemy for weapon and armor has, making it a luck game when choose own equipment." this isnt gone, but decreased.
    - less variety allows to more use of single researchs. (armor X is good vs Y AND Z )

CONS

- less variety
    - frustating by the old players becouse less choises
    - expierimence comm`s learning of the tree, become slightly useless.
    - some people want it overcomplicated.
    - it COULD(but not likely) get gamedeph away,

(hmm, i add cons and pros when you want.)

feel free to
    DEBATTE and
    give CONSTRUCTIVE kritism.

when the scout sabotaged a factory, and a vehicle is created,
    the normal malus + the weaponry and the armor of the vehicle is shown on the site of the screen when a frendly unit look at the vehicle, (like the armor plates of the granadier,

pros.
    - usefull
    - hard to do, so balanced,
    - you can know which weapon is good against him, or that youre armor sucks. and you can retreat.

cons
    - could turn useless.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

You do know that a new research tree is in the making?
    And to add: Grenades for the APC in the electrical path, doesn't do anything.

And your suggestion is basicly: Make research oneway? And bio is used.

3. darktimes

darktimes Member

no i dont suggest ONEway. i suggest that maybe 1 or max 2 useless things boing removed,
    did you ever use BIO ARMOR? its not usefull at all when the other team have normal cannons. what they to 80% always have.

i just think not that 52 researches are really needed. and maybe remove some
    "stations"

no i dont know that a new tree is coming. where is this writen?

and WTF are you talking about a APC and granades? i didnt say anything about that

bio was only a example. and i never use it, so my suggestion to seperate them on a playtest still stands

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  4. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Actully Bio is used quite a lot and also the rech tree is being overhalled. It needs it cus resantly ive found that meds are ignored and heavys are rushed off the mark after things like bio.

5. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Regen armor is pretty average as far as armors go health wise although it suffers from a positive speed modifier. Its also cheaper and stronger than reactive per weight except maybe against rails.

6. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

About the grenade part.. Nvm it. And bio is used, and so is every other research too.

Let me give you an example:

Bio is good against nukes.
    Physics gives BE a standing against tanks early game
    Electrical gives hell of a good engines and armor + turrets
    Chemistry gives hell of a good armor + engines (and cheap) if your team still can hold (takes time to research).
    Meh gives tanks and crappy armor (IT COSTS) and a decent engine.

And... Now I go to sleep.

And who said that you need to research 52 different parts to win? :P
    They are there to give variety!

And now I sleep.

7. darktimes

darktimes Member

maybe im just to stupid or something, but when you need to choose as newb between
    salvo ,upg salvo , nuke, ML, UML , HE, HEMG, RCN, bioML bioMG, plasma...
    etc
    youre just lost,
    also, one additional problem is that these points you said arent shown ingame, you just have this strange stats and sience notes etc, but no reall usable ingame explaination and comparison to other weps or armors.

im sorry to make a crappy idea, but i stand by it that the tree should be more newb frendly, and a better explaination about the single researchs.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  8. BoF

BoF Member

This has already been discussed... but I can't seem to find the link to that thread.

9. Caelo

Caelo Member

You seem to forget the fact that a noob shouldn't even be a commander anyways, they will just ruin the fun for everyone else on the server..

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It should that easy to command to have at least a decent game with a newbie commander listening to other players.

11. darktimes

darktimes Member

when newb shouldnt command, how will they become better and recive the needed skill and know how? only playing as unit isnt enough.
    youre point is useless.

i searched a bit, and i found this.
    [​IMG]

alone this could help everyone ALOT
    is at least THIS going implemented someday? in far future?

12. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Actully at the moment I think there are a lack of things to reserch. Yes there is variaty but I would love to see more things added so that every game is very differant. The kind of way to overhall the tec tree to benefit the game best is to make it faster to get differant things.

Its a small problem but would be nice to see fixed is how people get groups of stuff to be quick like e.g: bio--->bio desial--->regen armour. Then they will go for heavys off the mark. And win or lose the game with the rest of the tree un-touched. I like the idea of things being inter-linked like was suggested not too long ago :D.

I know there are going to be morons flameing saying "do u relise how much time it takes to do what ur suggesting!!" yes I do understand that and I not putting presure on the devs. Im just saying that I think it would benefit Empires as a whole and make one hell of a varied game out of it.

13. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Empires: AU
    http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=5956

So far it has taken me 21 days to work on this mod (excluding the 1 month break) and already I have done a lot of all kinds of tweaks with it to Empires. I have also added at least 10 new vehicle weapons.

And there may be also 5 new engines and more armors.

14. arklansman

arklansman Member

There is already enough redundant crap in the research tree, adding more stuff means there is more stuff that won't get used.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

qft

3char

16. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

They aren't used because they aren't enough effective and useful.

17. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's tough to balance things so they are different, but not have one be more powerful than the other. Adding more things is going to make that job nearly impossible.

18. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

By its very nature it is impossible, the Key is to have enough differences that you can not easily weigh up the pros and cons and KNOW which team is better. As long as the game can be tested to show a 50-50 split for wins on average, it is balanced.